WTB: Linksys DMA2100

Sell and buy stuff from other TGBers!
Forum rules
WARNING: Always use caution when purchasing from strangers. Remember this site does NOT provide buyer protection. Never send your credit card information to a user.
mr_imaging

HTPC Specs: Show details

WTB: Linksys DMA2100

Post by mr_imaging » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi, I am looking to purchase 2 or 3 Linksys DMA2100 media center extenders. If you have one or more for sale in good working condition, please let me know. I am willing to consider other dedicated extenders as well, but it seems like the DMA2100 is the least problematic. Thanks.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:47 pm

mr_imaging wrote:Hi, I am looking to purchase 2 or 3 Linksys DMA2100 media center extenders. If you have one or more for sale in good working condition, please let me know. I am willing to consider other dedicated extenders as well, but it seems like the DMA2100 is the least problematic. Thanks.
I have a bunch of XBOX360's that have been set up as extenders. I can ship them with or without WMC remotes, and some are HD VIdeo 1080p and some are HDMI. I have them listed in the "for sale" section. :mrgreen:

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:26 pm

mr_imaging wrote:....but it seems like the DMA2100 is the least problematic.
Are you just wanting to extend TV from the HTPC? Any other specific streaming tasks?
The DMA has its' own set of unique problems/glitches you have to learn to live with.

I have a spare DMA2100 that I can ship to you (from Canada) with all cables/antennas/remote - no box, BUT that's only because I choose to use a Ceton Echo over the DMA in our bedroom.
Kind of makes you rethink things. Yes the Echo has some problems too (no FF/RW/zoom) but is more 'stable' in daily use for me.

/prepare for the flames!
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:18 pm

I agree. All extenders have issues. But Echo is best overall, especially when you factor in WOL, footprint, silence and power usage.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:42 pm

mdavej wrote:I agree. All extenders have issues. But Echo is best overall, especially when you factor in WOL, footprint, silence and power usage.
Power usage mainly comes to play when extender is on for a prolonged period of time. Both Linksys 2100 and 2200 take "forever" to boot up. Sometimes, Linksys just sit there with a blinking blue light (2100) or the "Please Wait" screen on 2200 for a few minutes, and I lose patience, unplug it, and plug it back in to make it boot.

XBOX 360, on the other hand, boots very fast. I have mine set up to boot directly into WMC, takes less than 30 seconds from pressing the power button before I am in WMC environment (which includes the mandatory "Spinning circle" time). Universal remote sends both XBOX and TV power ON signal. Neither are instant on, so there is about 15 seconds when the TV is on, and XBOX is still booting.

So, with Linksys, we leave them on 24/7. XBOX is powered as needed. Depending on how much time you have XBOX on, you may average out the same power use per day as with Linksys being on all the time, especially if you have 2200.

With XBOX, you don't need to disable transition animation, whereas with Linksys you absolutely have to, unless you like watching stuttering animation.

With XBOX if you are opening a digital file, let's say a movie, the buffer time is much much less than with Linksys. There are some high bitrate files that literally take a minute or 2 to open on Linksys, where they only take 5 seconds on XBOX.

mr_imaging

Post by mr_imaging » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:42 am

Thanks for all the responses, they are making me rethink my planned setup. Since this is probably not the right forum topic to post follow-up questions, I will post them in the Extenders forum.