Windows 8.1 Extender issue

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
danjp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8.1 Extender issue

Post by danjp » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:45 pm

When "my Media Center" is installed it causes video to go blank on my extender and then freeze up, audio still plays but nothing else responds.

I'm using windows 8.1 build 9600

bjstick

Post by bjstick » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Oh wow, is that the cause of that issue? I actually went out and bought a new Xbox (have since returned it) because I thought it might be something to do with my old white Xbox with the component video output. The Ceton Echo barely worked either... I could get live TV and recordings to start, but eventually the Echo would stop responding to My Media Center controls, despite audio and video still working. The Event Viewer on the HTPC was littered with eHome crash errors. I ended up just going back to Windows 7 because I didn't want to deal with extenders breaking every annual update.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:51 am

^ditto.
Spent the day on Saturday getting 8.1 installed with MediaCenter. Got all the basics working great (BD2wmvHD rips and DVR tuners - 8 Cetons and 2 ATSCs). Then got the update for MCL XL and that was awesome.
My initial reaction was quite positive because it could finally play .m2ts files way better than in 7. But then on Sunday I started playing with the bonus stuff and all of a sudden any playback after a few seconds would go black and lock the xbox.

I'm seeing multiple reports now that it appears to have been My MediaCenter. Knowing that, I'll be happy to go back to 8.1 and just leave that off.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

danjp

Post by danjp » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:08 pm

TheOsburnFamil wrote: Knowing that, I'll be happy to go back to 8.1 and just leave that off.
This is my plan for right now also, but I'd like to see it being worked on especially since 8.1 RTM has been released.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Hey guys just to let you know we are looking into it. Setting up test environments and such.

One questions I have is if you are only seeing the issue when you are using the My Media Center apps to Tune or Play a show? Or are you seeing this when you actually navigate the WMC UI on the extender and press a show to watch?
Thanks!
I Write, Code, and Tweet

bjstick

Post by bjstick » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:41 pm

I was seeing this on my Xbox as soon as I started watching a recorded show or Live TV. I would get video for 1-5 seconds, sometimes a few more, and then the screen would turn black but audio continued. I could still access the Xbox system menu by pressing the Xbox button on the controller, but I could not control Media Center itself.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:12 pm

danjp wrote:This is my plan for right now also, but I'd like to see it being worked on especially since 8.1 RTM has been released.
"Released to developers so that they can make sure that their code works with it is not the same as" is not the same as "released".

Anyone who installed this release on their "production" machines shouldn't be complaining that stuff broke!

danjp

Post by danjp » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Anyone who installed this release on their "production" machines shouldn't be complaining that stuff broke!
not complaining, just letting it be known so it can be fixed for the actual release next month.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:58 pm

danjp wrote:not complaining, just letting it be known so it can be fixed for the actual release next month.
You get a pass, as you started the thread.

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:40 am

danjp wrote:When "my Media Center" is installed it causes video to go blank on my extender and then freeze up, audio still plays but nothing else responds.

I'm using windows 8.1 build 9600
I'm having and reported the identical issue last week. It took me nearly a week and 3 full days trying everything EXCEPT uninstalling the MyMC service.... once I did that I was shocked but not terribly so.

I also discovered that the Microsoft IntelliPoint software was also causing issues with the extender.

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:54 am

Motz wrote:Hey guys just to let you know we are looking into it. Setting up test environments and such.

One questions I have is if you are only seeing the issue when you are using the My Media Center apps to Tune or Play a show? Or are you seeing this when you actually navigate the WMC UI on the extender and press a show to watch?
Thanks!
this has nothing to do with your My Media Center app - it only relates to the service that is installed. I have the 'app' running on the same Windows 8.1 RTM to control another system and the playing media back on the Xbox Extender work great.

install the Service and playback blanks out
un-install the service and playback plays properly

Three other points to make.

1. If the My Media Center Service is installed, ALL video being played back on the Xbox while run as an 'extender' blanks out - avi wmv, wtv etch
2. Using the Windows Play To (or share) has the same problem if played from the 8.1 PC running the My MC service; video played from my Surface to the Xbox as extender plays fine (no service installed)
3. If your Service is installed, you can use the Play To feature to play wtv, avi, etch videos to the Xbox 360 as long as it is not running as an Extender - Start/Home screen, game, etc.

I believe that the My Media Center Service installs 2 or possibly 3 apps or services when it's installed. I'm going to re-install the Service again tomorrow and see if disabling yet another media..... software or other will allow me to access my schedule, etch - I really have no need, nor ever use the 'remote' feature anyway

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:09 am

With one of my many installs last week there was a period of time when the Ceton My Media Center Services were installed and my Extender DID work - however I was getting the error message "otay tuner" not working or something like that when I open Media Center on my PC and on my Xbox.

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Any update or new beta to try?

Jrocker23

Post by Jrocker23 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Still having the issue as well..

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:02 am

It is an issue we are working on. When I have a status update I will post.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Jrocker23

Post by Jrocker23 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:03 am

Thank you very much

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:07 pm

Could you please update your Beta Page by removing the 8.1 link, or clarify it's limitations?
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =63&t=3195
*Windows 8.1 support

I for one saw it, re-downloaded and installed it and only later realized that it was the same beta that was released during the 8.1 Preview. :'(

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:50 am

YEA! I just installed the Windows 8.1 General Availability Update 'A' over 8.1 RTM and the video issue has been resolved! Yippie! No black screen any more. :)
This is the build I used: ceton_my_media_center_setup_w8_13_06_28_0751

Jrocker23

Post by Jrocker23 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:56 am

jfreiman wrote:YEA! I just installed the Windows 8.1 General Availability Update 'A' over 8.1 RTM and the video issue has been resolved! Yippie! No black screen any more. :)
Still giving me a black screen on the 8.1 preview. Should have the RTM version soon..

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Jrocker23 wrote:
jfreiman wrote:YEA! I just installed the Windows 8.1 General Availability Update 'A' over 8.1 RTM and the video issue has been resolved! Yippie! No black screen any more. :)
Still giving me a black screen on the 8.1 preview. Should have the RTM version soon..
Well, at least you don't have to "worry" about Ceton updating their app! :)