Do any "Smart TV's" talk directly to the ETH 6?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kd6icz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Do any "Smart TV's" talk directly to the ETH 6?

Post by kd6icz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:25 pm

I would like to add a few TV's in my house for live sporting events where I don't need DVR capabilities. Do any of the Ethernet connected TV's have the ability to stream directly from the ETH 6?

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:19 pm

kd6icz wrote:I would like to add a few TV's in my house for live sporting events where I don't need DVR capabilities. Do any of the Ethernet connected TV's have the ability to stream directly from the ETH 6?
What you would need for this would be DNLA (and DTCP-IP for protected channels - which your TVs may or may not have).

Right now only SiliconDust tuners offer this(and it is a beta). Most are expecting them to introduce a new product line soon.

xnappo

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:29 pm

OK. So the tuner would just show up as a available tuner on the network? I haven't messed with DLNA. I've seen others use it on Blu-Ray players. It would be interesting to see how it's controlled. I would be surprised if any TV's today didn't support encrypted content.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:44 pm

kd6icz wrote:I would be surprised if any TV's today didn't support encrypted content.
There aren't that many sources of encrypted content on the LAN, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if most TVs don't support it. TV's have been relying on HDMI to handle their encrypted content issues up to now, which usually means that something else has handled the CableLabs DRM requirements.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Gotca. So that would be the same for any DLNA device such as a blu-ray player?

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:04 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but didn't think this question warranted a new one. I just got a new smart tv and while setting up the network features noticed that it detected my Ceton Itv6 ETH as DLNA devices. It sees six tuners on the network but doesn't do anything when I select them. Is this normal or am I missing some cool new functionality that I didn't know that I had?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:31 pm

EZEd wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread but didn't think this question warranted a new one. I just got a new smart tv and while setting up the network features noticed that it detected my Ceton Itv6 ETH as DLNA devices. It sees six tuners on the network but doesn't do anything when I select them. Is this normal or am I missing some cool new functionality that I didn't know that I had?
Post #2 still holds true for the most part. Basically, you will need to invest in a Silicondust tuner. The CableCARD version has yet to be released but there is a QAM/ATSC version available...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815345015

There is no way of telling if Ceton will offer similar functionality in the future but it most likely come in the form a a seperate product.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:04 pm

mcewinter wrote: Basically, you will need to invest in a Silicondust tuner. The CableCARD version has yet to be released but there is a QAM/ATSC version available...

The HDHR Prime supports DLNA as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0AT1859368
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:22 pm

Scallica wrote:
mcewinter wrote: Basically, you will need to invest in a Silicondust tuner. The CableCARD version has yet to be released but there is a QAM/ATSC version available...

The HDHR Prime supports DLNA as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0AT1859368
Support is limited to one or two devices though...anything with MPEG2 support.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:50 pm

Now that I think about it technically the Ceton ETH is somewhat DLNA supportive because just for a moment I tried JRiver Media Center as they claim to now support Ceton tuners (open copy channels only). JRiver did find the Ceton ETH but I believe their entire implementation is DLNA which I guess is why it works. But evidently my new tv does not have the same DLNA server capability that JRiver has is why it doesn't actually do anything with what it detects.