Weird Tuning issue Subscription Required

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
hdtvtodvd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Weird Tuning issue Subscription Required

Post by hdtvtodvd » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:51 pm

If I use the guide to change from a channel to another one it hangs and eventually says subscription required. For example 1675 to 1602 while watching 1675.

I found a workaround. If I press stop on the channel I am watching and then go tune to the other channel it works perfectly. I would like to change channels while watching them.

It does sometimes work, but certain combinations of channels close together work, but it hangs.

I also get a media center message when it is trying to record (not every show) that no tuner was available. It will try one or two and then the third time it will record the program. My issue with that is when I am recording several shows at the same time. I would imagine I am going to miss recordings.

I was on the newest firmware and had macro-blocking so I tried the beta and that went away. It worked fine for 2 - 3 weeks, but then this issue started yesterday.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am using the infinitv USB 4 tuner box with Cablecard and tuning adapter.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:59 pm

hdtvtodvd wrote:If I use the guide to change from a channel to another one it hangs and eventually says subscription required. For example 1675 to 1602 while watching 1675.
I am using the infinitv USB 4 tuner box with Cablecard and tuning adapter.
This sounds like an issue with your Tuning adapter. It sounds like it's not getting a timely response when it requests a channel change.

hdtvtodvd

Post by hdtvtodvd » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Yeah. This is my second one and it was brand new out of the box. I guess it could be defective...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:25 pm

hdtvtodvd wrote:Yeah. This is my second one and it was brand new out of the box. I guess it could be defective...
It's more likely to be a cabling issue, if it's your second one.

I don't use a TA, but there are status screens for the TA in the Ceton web pages. Someone else may be able to tell you what to look for that would indicate a problem.

hdtvtodvd

Post by hdtvtodvd » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:30 am

Resolved :). Ceton's amazing support sent me a beta firmware different than the current beta and it works amazingly well. It now is so stable I see Ceton becoming the leader in this arena.

hdtvtodvd

Post by hdtvtodvd » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:48 am

Well I spoke too soon. I am sure ceton will help me resolve it, but it's back. If I reflash the tuner the problem clears up for a bit. Reboot it's back, reflash, works for a but. Not sure why it gets better initially and then reverts. I'm sure ceton support will figure it out.

mercblue281

Post by mercblue281 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:40 am

I've had this problem for a long time. Ceton tried with different beta software to no luck. I got a replacement cablecard and it did the same thing. Seems its a CableCard issue with Cablevision. Usually rebooting the htpc helps the cable card reset but not always.

hdtvtodvd

Post by hdtvtodvd » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:31 pm

They got it resolved by making me a personal firmware and it is working perfectly.

harperhometheater

Post by harperhometheater » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:11 am

I'm having the exact same thing happening to me and my new ITV6 PCIe, where I get constant "Subscription Required" messages on certain channels. I have done everything with the cbale co., Oceanic TWC for hours and days. Multiple cablecards and TAs have been used with the same issues, but they work perfectly fine in a Roamio Pro I'm also testing.

I sent a ticket to Ceton, but if you (hdtvtodvd) can send me the FW they made for you, that'd be great and would speed this process up! I have to return this gear very soon and have to see if I can get it to work. I would rather use the cheaper option of the Ceton than spend all the extra money needed for equipment and TiVo service.

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

HarperVision

harperhometheater

Post by harperhometheater » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Anything? I have to decide ASAP which way I'm going!

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:21 am

harperhometheater wrote:Anything? I have to decide ASAP which way I'm going!
Can you please PM me your ticket #? I'd like to take a look at it.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

snappjay

Post by snappjay » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Let me know if this gets resolved for you as I am having nearly the exact same issue with my USB iTV4. Most up to date beta firmware.

My channel is always ESPN, however. ESPN 2, news, U, Classic all work fine, but about 25% of the time, I cannot tune to ESPN! It's annoying on Saturday morning ;)
But it happens only about 25% of the time, so I don't want to log a ticket if I cannot reproduce the issue :-\

Sometimes I also get the box in the bottom right corner saying "could not record" with a Recorded TV and Cancel options and sure enough, it was something on ESPN.

Time Warner Cable, no TA's needed... yet

WindowsHTPC

Post by WindowsHTPC » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:42 pm

I have this problem too on my PCIe iTV4 on W8 on TWC with a TA... usually switching to another random channel seems to fix the problem. It seems more likely to fix the problem when I tune to a non HD channel then back. But could just be a coincidence. I'm not sure if I have the latest beta drivers or not. The last time I messed with that stuff was around when those drivers were released. March?

I get the problem about 2-3 times a week... so it's not a big deal. I've just lived with it. I will check my drivers tonight, even though it doesn't sound like it will fix the problem.

WindowsHTPC

Post by WindowsHTPC » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:09 am

well I updated the drivers... then went to check if there was a new FW... yep! But... my FW update failed. sigh. I had this problem with my first card and had to RMA it. I guess it was a good thing I checked this today... in 12 days my card will be out of warranty.

I entered a support ticket... hopefully if the card does need to be swapped the flash memory chip problem has been figured out by now and I get a good one.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:37 pm

WindowsHTPC wrote:I have this problem too on my PCIe iTV4 on W8 on TWC with a TA... usually switching to another random channel seems to fix the problem. It seems more likely to fix the problem when I tune to a non HD channel then back. But could just be a coincidence. I'm not sure if I have the latest beta drivers or not. The last time I messed with that stuff was around when those drivers were released. March?

I get the problem about 2-3 times a week... so it's not a big deal. I've just lived with it. I will check my drivers tonight, even though it doesn't sound like it will fix the problem.
We have not yet pushed the firmware with this change to our beta site (and truthfully, we probably won't push this specific build - we are working on a build with some additional improvements which is what will ultimately be pushed). You need to open a support ticket to get this build.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

WindowsHTPC

Post by WindowsHTPC » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:08 pm

erkotz wrote:
WindowsHTPC wrote:I have this problem too on my PCIe iTV4 on W8 on TWC with a TA... usually switching to another random channel seems to fix the problem. It seems more likely to fix the problem when I tune to a non HD channel then back. But could just be a coincidence. I'm not sure if I have the latest beta drivers or not. The last time I messed with that stuff was around when those drivers were released. March?

We have not yet pushed the firmware with this change to our beta site (and truthfully, we probably won't push this specific build - we are working on a build with some additional improvements which is what will ultimately be pushed). You need to open a support ticket to get this build.
Thanks for the info...

I am ok with waiting a while until it's pushed with the other updates. I just need to get the card RMA'd (again) to fix the problem with it failing to load ANY firmware (again). It sounds like that is a common problem... It sucks that I got two bad cards in a row. Hopefully the problem has been figured out.