MMC Search

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
koberhol

HTPC Specs: Show details

MMC Search

Post by koberhol » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:03 pm

I browsed the 13 pages of Topics and I don't believe I have seen a post so here I am.

When using Search in MMC it doesn't seem to pick up all the programming from the schedule. There have been programs that are in my MMC Guide programming but upon seaching a given event it doesn't find it! Amount of items to display is not the issue.

Is there some type of setting change for me to make or is this a bug with MMC or WMC?

Edit - I am referring to the iOS Version of MMC.
Last edited by koberhol on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Is there a specific search term you are looking for? I can test it here.

We search the WMC guide so it should be accurate.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Hey Motz. Search "Evil Kin" My guide in MMC shows it's on this coming Monday @ 8:00 pm on Investigation ID Channel... However searching "Evil Kin" comes up with nothing. It seems this is a problem when a new series (first episodes) is coming. I had this issue with "Forbidden", "Magic City", "Surviving Evil". Just to name a few.

Thank You

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:45 pm

That sounds like a caching issue.

Is MMC searching it's own local copy of data that it downloaded earlier, or is it sending the request to the PC, and getting the PC to do the search for it? It should be the second, but it sounds like it might be the first.

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:03 pm

foxwood wrote:That sounds like a caching issue.

Is MMC searching it's own local copy of data that it downloaded earlier, or is it sending the request to the PC, and getting the PC to do the search for it? It should be the second, but it sounds like it might be the first.
What I posted above, the search and guide info, came from the same iPad event/time period. Meaning.. I did the search and guide lookup at the same time. I am not an MMC guru so I don't know how it does it's search. Is there something in the MMC setup that could always force pc lookup rather than search cached data? I'd be willing to wait extra time to get a more accurate result if that's the compromise.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:05 pm

You can clear cache data in the advanced settings of the app. Do that and fully exit and relaunch the app.

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 pm

staknhalo wrote:You can clear cache data in the advanced settings of the app. Do that and fully exit and relaunch the app.
Just tried that per your request.. No worky! Still doesn't find the show.

Thank You for the reply

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:20 pm

I will give a little more information.

I just forced WMC to do a Guide Update. Then opened MMC after a full shut down. Did the search.... No Worky!

I also have the following 'Program Guide Search Settings"

Guide Channels - On
Movies - On
Program Guide - On
Recorded TV - On
TV Series - On

Type - Tried "Keyword" and "Title"
# of Results - 200
HD only - Not Checked
The rest - All checked

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:24 pm

If no search is working at all this could mean that your indexing is off inside of WMC. In windows open "Indexing Options" and ensure WMC is listed there.

This is required for the guide search to work. When you submit a search we go request result from your PC. There is no caching issue. All that deleting cache does is delete images and your channel lineup which is stored locally on your device.
index.PNG
I Write, Code, and Tweet

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Motz wrote:If no search is working at all this could mean that your indexing is off inside of WMC. In windows open "Indexing Options" and ensure WMC is listed there.

This is required for the guide search to work. When you submit a search we go request result from your PC. There is no caching issue. All that deleting cache does is delete images and your channel lineup which is stored locally on your device.
index.PNG
Just checked:
WMC Receiver Service was set to Manual - Changed to Automatic
WMC Scheduler Service was set to Manual - Changed to Automatic
Rebooted HTPC and MMC - No Worky!

Are there any other WMC Services that should be listed? All other Searches work. It seems that only new first time shows can't be searched. The other shows I mentioned are now searchable since the initial air date has passed for the first episode.

Motz, The show "Evil Kin" should also bee on your guide if you have Investigation ID Channel. Does Search find it for you? Assuming you have access to an iOS device.

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Oops.. Didn't see the Indexing Pic you attached. Yes my computer lists WMC just like the pic you attached.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:42 pm

if you open up WMC and go to TV -> Search -> Title -> Type in Evil Kin. Does it show up here?

I opened up both my Android version and iOS version and they seem to be working just fine and I tested it on 2 different PCs:
image.png
The other thing to try is to uninstall the MMC services and reinstall them ensure WMC is closed when you do that. See if that helps at all.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:54 am

Motz wrote:if you open up WMC and go to TV -> Search -> Title -> Type in Evil Kin. Does it show up here?

I opened up both my Android version and iOS version and they seem to be working just fine and I tested it on 2 different PCs:
image.png
The other thing to try is to uninstall the MMC services and reinstall them ensure WMC is closed when you do that. See if that helps at all.
Nope. Doesn't show under either search option.... "Title" comes back blank... "Keyword" comes back with similar titles that would be expected for that type of search.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:22 am

Hmmm so the problem lies here somewhere as WMC itself can not find it which is why we can not find it. It sounds like an indexing issue with the guide to be honest. Can you open up the guide in WMC and scroll to that date and actually see it there?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:13 am

Motz wrote:Hmmm so the problem lies here somewhere as WMC itself can not find it which is why we can not find it. It sounds like an indexing issue with the guide to be honest. Can you open up the guide in WMC and scroll to that date and actually see it there?
Motz,
BINGO !!!! Based on your things to check I went back to Indexing and Selected "Delete and Rebuild Index" and Perfection!!!
All searches work now!

Your help is MUCH appreciated and respected!

Many Thanks!!! Now back to my Captain and Coke...