Big List o' Media Center Cast Bugs…

Chromecast in MediaCenter
cwestpha

HTPC Specs: Show details

Big List o' Media Center Cast Bugs…

Post by cwestpha » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Been using this for the past few days and noticed quite a few odd things about how this program works. I know its essentially an Alpha but it seems quite a bit of the basic functionality doesn't work as expected… here are some of my issues.

Youtube Profile Issues:
If you use multiple Youtube accounts tied to a single google account (i.e. a public simple and then a more private one linked to Plus /w your e-mail address) it seems to confuse Media Center Cast and requires the occasional reset of the data stored within the Android app to fix. (i.e. disappearing channels)

No real way to tell what version is running:
There is no real easy way to tell what version of Media Center Cast. The main screen has just the icon, links for activation and registration, and the name of the device. Nowhere does it note or say what build or version it is, nor does it write the version to add/remove programs. One has to manually go to the directory and see it via right click properties menu.

TV Queue or 2nd play doesn't work consistently:
Most of the times when I launch MCC I can get about one good video playing using my smartphone or tablet before it loses its connection or doesn't seem to want to play a second video. I have to quit the application and close the YouTube app on my device before relaunching them to get the two to resume communicating correctly again between each queue or play.

Issues Fixed So Far (as of Beta5):
-Remote Control causes WMC to regain focus
-unable to activate due to invalid/protected directory for storing .xml activation location

fredx21

Post by fredx21 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks for the list.

1. YouTube Profile Issues:
I am not sure to understand how to do that. Could you explain?

2. No real way to tell what version is running:
If you really need to know, you can hit alt-enter, go in the help/about menu

3. TV Queue or 2nd play doesn't work consistently
I getting that too and will be looking at it very soon.

cwestpha

Post by cwestpha » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:11 pm

On the profiles issue I am not sure myself, but I think it may be released to the cant connect issue. With YouTube Google has been trying to semi-intigrate it into your Google+ profile. You can avoid merging the two together, but in return you end up with two profiles per account, your old username and your e-mail google account name. While having issues in the past I have noticed on occasion the youtube app or or the MCC environment seems to sometimes display the other profile information instead of the other (ie your youtube channel subscriptions disappear).

fredx21

Post by fredx21 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Then this is not a MCC issue, its a YouTube TV app issue...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:11 pm

If you see the same behavior with a "real" ChromeCast dongle, it's a YouTube issue. If you don't, it's an MCC issue.

Ylinen

Post by Ylinen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:14 pm

One more behavior issue that I am seeing. Not sure why. When I play some youtube videos they play fine on my tablet. When I cast them to MCC I get period pause and spinning wheel and then it plays for a while and then spinning wheel. If I bring the video back to the tablet it plays fine from start to finish. Does not do it on videos and it is inconsistent.

MCC computer is hardwired to the router and I have plenty of bandwidth.

fredx21

Post by fredx21 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:01 am

foxwood wrote:If you see the same behavior with a "real" ChromeCast dongle, it's a YouTube issue. If you don't, it's an MCC issue.
You are right. However, MCC launches a Google's YouTube URL that contains the YouTube TV web-app. Because MCC does not register directly with YouTube, I can't see how it could be involved in such Google a profile problem.

fredx21

Post by fredx21 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:02 am

Ylinen wrote:MCC computer is hardwired to the router and I have plenty of bandwidth.
I have the same behaviour. It am currently looking at it, but just like you, it is not constant.

Fred

swTester

Post by swTester » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:03 am

I also have the poor connection after the first video and the jittery video playback on my HTPC. I am only in my third day of using it.

Being a sw test engineer as a profession gives me the uncontrollable urge to do wireshark captures and look into the API behind it so I can give a better description of what I see but I haven't gotten to it yet. Are you still looking into it?

fredx21

Post by fredx21 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:05 am

Yes I am still looking but I have not found anything yet. My guess is that it's a problem in Chromium.