OT: Kid Tablet - Remote Control It?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
aeblank

HTPC Specs: Show details

OT: Kid Tablet - Remote Control It?

Post by aeblank » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:22 pm

So my 2yo. son has a small android tablet (it's cheaper to replace than mom or dad's phone). I can load all the cat in the hats he could ever want on it, as well as some nifty games.

That said, if I load up a game for him, before I know it he is adding shortcuts to one of the desktops or any number of other random (literally) things.
There are screen lock apps that might work. I loaded one and am not incredibly impressed. It doesn't block home/back buttons which makes it only partly useful for playing movies. But if I have an app loaded, it is of no use because the touchscreen is required.

It *seems like* a perfect scenario would be to control it with my or my wife's phone to load an app, then he can't get out of it. Load a show to watch remotely, and he can't click-pause or anything else.

Does anybody do this or have any ideas?

Thanks.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Just search the GOOGLE Play Store/XDA forums for kiosk app/mode. Here's the first app I saw:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lock&hl=en

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:42 pm

$50? OUCH. Tablet was only $100. =)
Nice lockout controls. Any remote controlling anything?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:46 pm

I didn't even bother to look at the price TBH, just using it to give you a launching off point of what to search for. I don't use it :P

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:48 pm

Bump, another example: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... trol&hl=en

Reviews don't seem great but I don't have time to go through them. Giving the picks/description a once over though it looks to do what you want as well. Didn't look to see if it was free or not.