Moving On... New Firmware Releases

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by staknhalo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:00 am

I know. I was only making the distinction of where Ceton had control and where they didn't.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:39 am

staknhalo wrote:
grinchy wrote:Has anyone opened an actual support case asking about future FW releases/support for the Echo?
Why would they? That's an improper avenue to take. The forums are the appropriate place to ask.
IMO, I don't totally agree with this considering Ceton is pretty sparse in answering questions in this forum. I figured their direct support line would demand some sort of answer vs. yet another thread in a forum they don't monitor as aggressively (and have yet to answer).

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:37 am

Do whatever you want - but all you're going to be doing is supplying Ceton support staff with tickets they shouldn't be receiving/taking - and aren't going to get an answer probably (or just some copy/paste version of 'no comment' I would expect, if you do).

I would laugh if they just directed you back to the forums.

I have 2 Echos; I want future updates too. I'm just saying you know better; it's not the right avenue for your line of questioning and you should conduct yourself properly while going through the appropriate channels. But like I said - I'm not your mother - do whatever you want.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:00 am

staknhalo wrote:Do whatever you want - but all you're going to be doing is supplying Ceton support staff with tickets they shouldn't be receiving/taking - and aren't going to get an answer probably (or just some copy/paste version of 'no comment' I would expect, if you do).

I would laugh if they just directed you back to the forums.

I have 2 Echos; I want future updates too. I'm just saying you know better; it's not the right avenue for your line of questioning and you should conduct yourself properly while going through the appropriate channels. But like I said - I'm not your mother - do whatever you want.
:lol: I'm not totally sure how to take your post, haha. I simply asked if someone had done it - though contacting the company seems like a reasonable thing to do for *any* type of question.

In any case, hopefully we see something come down the pipeline to answer the question otherwise!

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:04 am

I thought that by 'asking if anyone' you were 'implying someone should'. That's what my advice against it is in regard to.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:11 am

staknhalo wrote:I thought that by 'asking if anyone' you were 'implying someone should'. That's what my advice against it is in regard to.
No worries - I was asking just to see if there was any official response to the question from support if someone happened to open a case.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:04 pm

This is just sad. You see so much activity going on in the 'My Media Center App' forum from the Ceton guys, yet they refuse to acknowledge the echo users. Do they understand that if the extender dies so does media center and then who needs the app? Very shameful IMO. :(

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:06 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:This is just sad. You see so much activity going on in the 'My Media Center App' forum from the Ceton guys, yet they refuse to acknowledge the echo users. Do they understand that if the extender dies so does media center and then who needs the app? Very shameful IMO. :(
Motz isn't all of Ceton :roll: . The Echo isn't even his department.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:09 pm

staknhalo wrote:
IownFIVEechos wrote:This is just sad. You see so much activity going on in the 'My Media Center App' forum from the Ceton guys, yet they refuse to acknowledge the echo users. Do they understand that if the extender dies so does media center and then who needs the app? Very shameful IMO. :(
Motz isn't all of Ceton :roll: . The Echo isn't even his department.

Are you sure about that? He sure comes off as if he is. He earlier defended his work on the Android GUI and made me feel even worse how he described it as so elegant in nature. Like I said, shameful.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:27 pm

staknhalo wrote:Ask him yourself.

What's your alt account? You can tell me. I'm curious if you are who I think you are. Too similar.

I am only one person on here. Some have said differently but those are the people that can not get their echo to work, so I put no stock in their comments. I never post on these things, but because of the amount I invested in this product, and because I believed so strongly in the company I wanted to voice my opinion. I now see it is a wasted effort. But I am no other user on here. You can rest assure of that. Just a concerned user who wants what everyone else on here wants. Pure Television Bliss.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:29 pm

There's a lot of us that do not use extenders. It's my opinion that extenders suck...ALL of them.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:47 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
mcewinter wrote:
There's a lot of us that do not use extenders. It's my opinion that extenders suck...ALL of them.
I found your statement to be untrue, so I chimed in.

I was following the Android implementation in hopes I could actually appreciate an extender and its advantages so I took a wait and see approach. I didn't see a reason to invest in one or five at any point along the way. And it sounds to me that the echo does funtion as an extender as is and I wouldn't be surprised if Ceton considers it complete.
Last edited by mcewinter on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Understood, but being an end user you can tell it is not complete. Mine work fine for non AV receiver type environments, except they need to fix the zoom and preview windows. As Stacknhalo (I think it was him if I am wrong forgive me) mentioned before his sports preview screen does not work (the whole preview feature is broke). If they fix that then I would call it complete. I do not see it replacing a home theatre setup. We will always need something else for DTS etc..

breakthestatic

Post by breakthestatic » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:19 am

So going back to potential future firmware updates... IF Ceton doesn't abandon the echo, would be really nice to get HDMI-CEC working. It's annoying being able to use the MMC app to WOL my htpc & echo and control it, except for the volume and sleep functionality.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:00 am

breakthestatic wrote:So going back to potential future firmware updates... IF Ceton doesn't abandon the echo, would be really nice tly o get HDMI-CEC working. It's annoying being able to use the MMC app to WOL my htpc & echo and control it, except for the volume and sleep functionality.
All they would have had to do is supply a reasonably comprehensive programmable universal remote that allows us to configure Volume and Input buttons to our specific TV's.I would have been satisfied with that.

This seems like the obvious answer to that limitation.

But we all have complained about the inadequacies of the stock remote in the past. Nothing new here.

[Moderator note: unnecessary posts in this thread removed]

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Jimmersd wrote:All they would have had to do is supply a reasonably comprehensive programmable universal remote that allows us to configure Volume and Input buttons to our specific TV's.I would have been satisfied with that.

This seems like the obvious answer to that limitation.

But we all have complained about the inadequacies of the stock remote in the past. Nothing new here.
I'd have been happy with no remote at all. I really felt that Ceton knew that 95% of their customers would be using a Harmony or something else. Then decided a 'real' remote wasn't worth the cost/effort.

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:56 pm

After being on holiday for two weeks, I figured I would return and Ceton would have confirmed or denied whether future F/W will be developed for the Echo. Instead, it appears that they have refused to. That, in my opinion, indicates development of any kind is dead in the water and they don't want to hurt their remaining sales. The fact that they have said they will 'support it' most likely means that they will support troubleshooting via the ticket support system only.

The very least they could do is tell us if we should remain hopeful for bug fixes, or look for a workable solution elsewhere.

Like a lot of other people, I'm pretty pissed I was duped into keeping my two Echo's with the 'State of the Echo #3'. Say what you want about it 'being my decision', but it was clear that Ceton had a motive for releasing the State of the Echo #3 when they did (end of extended return period). I will not be dealing with Ceton again after this.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:35 am

Agreed, I think the silence after the Android bomb indicates that what you see is what you get with the Echo, don't count on anything ever being fixed from now on.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:57 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:Agreed, I think the silence after the Android bomb indicates that what you see is what you get with the Echo, don't count on anything ever being fixed from now on.
I like the way you summed that up. What you see is what you get. And, what I see, is not too terribly bad.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:01 pm

th3Pil0t wrote:After being on holiday for two weeks, I figured I would return and Ceton would have confirmed or denied whether future F/W will be developed for the Echo. Instead, it appears that they have refused to. That, in my opinion, indicates development of any kind is dead in the water and they don't want to hurt their remaining sales. The fact that they have said they will 'support it' most likely means that they will support troubleshooting via the ticket support system only.

The very least they could do is tell us if we should remain hopeful for bug fixes, or look for a workable solution elsewhere.

Like a lot of other people, I'm pretty peeved I was duped into keeping my two Echo's with the 'State of the Echo #3'. Say what you want about it 'being my decision', but it was clear that Ceton had a motive for releasing the State of the Echo #3 when they did (end of extended return period). I will not be dealing with Ceton again after this.
I made my decision to go with TiVo immediately after the Andriod announcement. I wasn't going to wait months for any other fix. Ceton has established their modus operandi.