Need Insteon 2412N (SmartLinc)

Sell and buy stuff from other TGBers!
Forum rules
WARNING: Always use caution when purchasing from strangers. Remember this site does NOT provide buyer protection. Never send your credit card information to a user.
AnthonyB

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need Insteon 2412N (SmartLinc)

Post by AnthonyB » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:05 pm

If you happen to have one sitting around, I need it!

Please PM me if you do.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Gotta love Insteon ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:00 pm

I think mine just died (again). They replaced the first one under warrantee, but I think I'm out of warrantee now.

AnthonyB

Post by AnthonyB » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Actually, It's not a replacement, I need it for Eventghost.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:44 pm

Are you the same person (abuttino) who posted on the EG forum about it?

I understand that you just want to buy one, not replace one. You can probably find them for sale on e-bay. I just have to question the reliability of the device. This is the 2nd time that mine has died. It responds to the browser/smartphone interface, and acts like it's sending the command. But something has gone wrong with the powerline transmitter in the device for the 2nd time now. It is unable to communicate over the power lines.

The last one died in Sept 2012. It was only 4 months old when it died. This one is having the exact same problem now. None of my other Insteon devices has ever failed, and some have been installed since 2007.

AnthonyB

Post by AnthonyB » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:01 pm

I am..

I have no choice at the moment. There is not much support for these lighting systems. My X10 system took a dump ever since X10 closed the doors, I am unsure if it wants a heartbeat from the X10 master servers but ActiveHome has taken a dive off the deep end when it comes to flags and day/night status.

I have had to rewrite about 5 macros now because of this.

I also use Tasker and AutoRemote. Although the Developer of AutoRemote did just release a plug-in for the Vera, I find that system extremely expensive. I am running on somewhat of a limited budget for this gateway because I still need to buy switches to replace this X10 system. That's why I chose Insteon, my Powerline network at home is perfect, no problems getting signals around the house, I have a phase coupler in the breaker box that does very well for me, and I can replace a unit at a time.

If the SmartLinc has such problems with Powerline, I could imagine that putting some repeaters on the same outlet would help tremendously. Although I am shooting spitballs here because I have no idea, But, the idea seems enticing going on what I know from X10.

I was able to buy the last SmartLinc on eBay, It would arrive on Wed or Thursday. I'll take this conversation over to eventghost when the time comes if it's a problem with EG..

I just wish I had some programming skills to write a plugin for another Insteon unit such as the Hub or something. I could hire it out and charge for it to make my money back, but I don't know how much interest there would be in that. There doesn't seem to be much interest on the EG forums to make this plugin, so I'd probably be stuck with the entire investment.

It seems that Rainbow did a good job with their CEC device. But everyone has HDMI, half of home automation enthusiasts have Insteon, and half of them have the ISY..........

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:52 pm

AnthonyB wrote:and half of them have the ISY..........
If in your budget, the isy with a PLM is the way to go.
There are newer models now I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Devic ... 19e0e3b66d

$250 well spent IMO.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:37 pm

STC, do you know if the ISY-994i works with the EG plugin for the ISY-26? That's the only ISY plugin I could find for EG.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:09 pm

I own the 99i, not the 4 but I believe they all work off the same base code and should be cross compatible.
The trick I use is to integrate by using X10 codes for the signaling ;)
I have an old serial CM11A on my HTPC.
It's used to signal tasks to the isy such as dimming lights through Autohotkey (EG should work in the same way) when MC enters certain modes. The isy is the master of all things automated and controls everything. The CM11A only sends X10 out to tell the ISY what to command.

I also have some legacy X10 devices, but I have a house code devoted to signaling.

The HTPC is really just a slave, I don't integrate any main house control functions through the HTPC.
There is also an X10 IR543 receiver by the HTPC IR receiver that can catch any X10 IR signal sent from the Harmony remote. That too gives you quick manual control to the isy.

Does that all make sense? I seem to have rambled on lol :)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Yep, it all makes sense. My 2412N is still inside the 2-year warrantee period. Considering the fact that I've had two of them die, and the fact that the 2412N is discontinued, I'm thinking of asking them to just give me credit toward the purchase of the ISY-994i package (comes with a powerline modem).

My 2412N is plugged in (piggy-backed) with my USB powerline modem (the one that works with the Smart Home software). Both are then plugged into the FilterLinc to prevent the PC from messing with the powerline signaling. The powerline modem has never died, so it must be a defect in the 2412N.