Video Error?

big_al5

HTPC Specs: Show details

Video Error?

Post by big_al5 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:33 am

I've had a problem for months. Microsoft worked with me for 10 weeks, then gave up. I have a MC on Windows 8 PRO w/MC system with Radeon 7770 HD graphics; 12 gigs; 64 bit system; Hauppauge 723x and 2650 tuners. Everything records fine; but watching liveTV either on the PC or the Xbox 360 as an extender yields a "video error. Files needed to display...."
If anyone has any ideas please help.
It typically happens when changing channels sometimes during watching. The connection to the Xbox is wired gigabit.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:10 am

Please clarify... do you get this error on the TV that is connected to the PC? Or... do you get it on the TV that is connected to the XBox?

Try this...

Go into the Windows Control Panel, open the "Sound" applet. Change the windows sound settings to stereo, 2.0. Now, open Media Center. Go into the settings. Drill down until you find "setup your speakers". Go through this wizard. When it asks, choose the option that most closely matches your speaker configuration.

Now, do you get the same error?

big_al5

Post by big_al5 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks for trying. It is on both the HDCP compliant monitor connected via DVI and the TV connected to the Xbox. I tried various sound changes several times as seen discussed in the forums and nothing seems to help. It does work fine on first boot, \then degrades over time?

jjhtpc

Post by jjhtpc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Please show the following:
1. How is the HDCP monitor connected to the pc?
2. Is there an AVR or any other devices connected?
3. Do you have an codec packs installed?
4. What tv tuner are you using?
5. Plesase post your sound settings from WMC.
6. Please post your windows sound settings.

Thanks this should help us help you debug.

big_al5

Post by big_al5 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:15 am

HDCP monitor is direct DVI-D connection via 4 foot cable
No AVR device
Only Windows installed Codecs
Two Hauppauge tuners: 2650 cable card tuner and 723x internal in slot
All sound settings are for two speakers, both windows and WMC

I hope you have some ideas; I did see a pattern lately
when channel change changes tuners I get error
when I close application on second monitor, I get error
sometimes for no reason the error appears while watching a show

All recordings have been fine so far.
Thanks a bunch for assisting.

jjhtpc

Post by jjhtpc » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:09 pm

You have a second monitor hooked up? How is this monitor connected?
This may be your problem. If you don't have this second monitor hooked up do you ever see the problem?

WMC uses play ready and this depends upon HDCP connection. If the connection is disturbed or if the system believe it is disturbed it will stop any and all video from playing. There are devices that can be purchased which force edid at all times (HDMI Detective).

I had a similar problem in which I have both an AVR (via HDMI) connected and a projecter (DVI thru DVI to hdmi adapter). This setup worked great in extended mode until just recently and then anytime a reboot or restart occurred on the system I was unable to have both video and audio available (essentially it was only allowing one monitor to be active). To solve this I have to disable and renable the video driver. In order to automate this I ended up using DevManView(had to be downloaded it is a development utility) and created a windows task to call a disable and enable of the video card through DevManView. I then created a shortcut on the main desktop so that when I started up windows I could simply double click the short cut and the video driver would be disabled and renabled.

This is something you may want to try as well, but it is not for the un-tech savy. You can test if your problem is similar by going into device manager and manually disabling and enabling the video driver on the Radeon 7770.

The first step that I would try though would be to test if when only the main HDCP compliant monitor is hooked up and and no other monitors are hooked up if you still have video issues.

Also one thing you may want to check is that if you are using the DVI connection that in BIOS you have that DVI connection set to as HDMI. I think this may be the only way that windows recognizes DVI as HDCP compliant.

I hope this helps as a starting point at least. Oh and one other piece of caution is that if you are ever working on this and you get the video error, make sure you get reception back before stopping. If the HDCP handshake is not reestablished it will stop recordings from working properly.

big_al5

Post by big_al5 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:20 am

Wow; that seems to work will know more later this week. Thank you so much.

big_al5

Post by big_al5 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:15 am

Well had time to test; it still happens, but it seems when I change tuners; going from ClearQAM to Cable card. I want to check drivers, but I can't figure out what driver the Hauppauge 723x ClearQAM/ATSC/NTSC tuner is, it was installed by HP in the system when bought. Anyone have an idea?

big_al5

Post by big_al5 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:36 pm

I tried to figure out how to reproduce the problem and there are certain things that keep repeating:
- watching a ClearQAM station and it getting error only requires moving channels up or down and it comes back. Or shutting down WMC and restarting WMC and ClearQAM is fine.
- getting error on CableCard channels I need to shut down WMC twice and restart twice and it then comes back each time.

I also switched my second monitor from Display Port to DVI to an HDMI port directly, all issues remained the same.

Anyone else have ideas?

jjhtpc

Post by jjhtpc » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:27 pm

I would try removing the clear qam tuner and see if you still have problems.
You probably need to go to the manufacturers website for both of the tuners and get the most recent drivers.