Lag Free Navigation!

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
wonder_lander

HTPC Specs: Show details

Lag Free Navigation!

Post by wonder_lander » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:22 pm

I'm currently using an Acer Aspire Revo R3700 which has an atom based processor, 4GB of ram and traditional SATA drive.

The UI in WMC is lag central so I'm wondering if I can make a tweak or if it's time for an upgrade! Any recommendations?
Am happy to do an upgrade/replacement to get a more responsive system.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:33 pm

I would think more ram and a solid state drive would pick things up with good bang for the buck.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Unless he's driving 3 extenders, he won't benefit much from additional RAM.

There probably isn't room for a 2nd drive in the system, so switching to an SSD would mean using an external drive for recordings.

wonder_lander

Post by wonder_lander » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:47 pm

More info. I have a windows home server that has a quad tuner card in it and also archives recorded TV to it.

This is merely a client for the data and services of the server.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:31 pm

wonder_lander wrote:I'm currently using an Acer Aspire Revo R3700 which has an atom based processor
There's your problem...I can't even count how many times I've seen people with Atom-based systems complaining about the UI lag. I would recommend trading out the Atom for a beefier CPU. Alternatively, you may try to disable UI animations and see if that helps. Tasks > Settings > General > Visual and Sound Effects > un-check Use transition animations.

wonder_lander

Post by wonder_lander » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:34 pm

richard1980 wrote:
wonder_lander wrote:I'm currently using an Acer Aspire Revo R3700 which has an atom based processor
There's your problem...I can't even count how many times I've seen people with Atom-based systems complaining about the UI lag. I would recommend trading out the Atom for a beefier CPU. Alternatively, you may try to disable UI animations and see if that helps. Tasks > Settings > General > Visual and Sound Effects > un-check Use transition animations.
Cheers Richard,

The system works fine for all the content it's purely the UI navigation that is laggy and it drives us mad waiting for it to go between menus!
What's a recommend low power spec that should provide a faultless navigation and playback experience?

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:02 am

Agree - it's the Atom - they're extremely slow!
For Intel, and with no gaming, go for a low voltage mid range i3 or i5, there are plenty forum posts on recommended system specs