Xbox 360 playback issues and codecs

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Kaptain

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 playback issues and codecs

Post by Kaptain » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Is the playback on my 360's effected by the codecs on my Win7 media center?

When I watch xvid .avi movies on my 360's I get jerky playback. However we can watch recorded HD programs that we recorded via OTA and/or HDhomerun tuners with no problem.

I don't think it's a network issue because im 99percent sure I didnt have this issue in the past. Do I need to reinstall all my codecs?

Thanks.

Kaptain

Post by Kaptain » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:39 pm

While waiting for advice I uninstalled all codecs and reinstalled shark007. AVI files are still jumpy/choppy at times.
I tried my first MKV file this morning. Plays just fine.

So maybe the answer is to give up on divx/avi files.

DJ DOC

Post by DJ DOC » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:26 am

Yes... MKV's definitely play through the normal video player on the 360.

Setup:

you need to enable streaming on WMP (in video library there is a stream button, click it and select "automatically allow devices to play my media", then click more streaming options, next screen is self explanatory)

you need shark codecs, and you have to configure as admin for windows file associations (before installing shark, make sure you remove all codecs from your system, you dont need them)

also need the optional media update on xbox (i already had it, but reinstalled it).

after you set it all up, reboot both your computer where WMP is, and your xbox and boom, MKV on 360. no tversity, no transcoding, no ps3media server or plex.