Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe Now Available

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe Now Available

Post by makryger » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:10 pm

The six-tuner version Ceton InfiniTV PCIe is now available for purchase!

If you'd like to help support TheGreenButton.tv hosting costs, then please click through this link:
Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe
This will be at no cost to you or Ceton- this will give TGB.tv a portion of Amazon's profits.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:26 am

does this support win 7 and 8 tuner pooling like the eth?

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:35 pm

What is pooling? Is that the reason the ETH exists?? I thought the ETH was a stupid idea that wouldn't work the first time I saw it... So I waited for the PCIe. All that HD video on a network just seems like trouble to me. But I most likely don't understand the big picture.

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:50 pm

kd6icz wrote:What is pooling? Is that the reason the ETH exists?? I thought the ETH was a stupid idea that wouldn't work the first time I saw it... So I waited for the PCIe. All that HD video on a network just seems like trouble to me. But I most likely don't understand the big picture.
Tuner pooling is allowing more than one HTPC to dynamically use the tuners.

If you only plan to have one HTPC and use extenders, then not much point to the ETH version.

However if you are going to use multiple HTPCs instead of extenders it is great. I would love to have one in my closet where the cable comes into my house - then I would move my router and cable modem there too. This would get rid of my amp, and the tilt issues that come with the long cable run to where my HTPC is.

Unfortunately a requirement for me to move from extenders to this scheme is that you can record the same channel on multiple HTPCs to get around CCI BS. However at this time tuning the same channel on more than one tuner causes massive macroblocking.

xnappo

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:58 pm

The ETH is also good if you wish to build a small HTPC, very much like what Barnabas is up to...

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=7&t=5587

The ETH by far isn't a stupid idea that wouldn't work; Baranabas is using a competitor's ethernet attached tuner and is proven technology at this point.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:20 pm

kd6icz wrote:All that HD video on a network just seems like trouble to me.
A gigabit connection operates at 1000 Mbps. The maximum bitrate of a TV stream (in the US) is about 20 Mbps. While you can't realistically expect to be able to transfer 50 streams (1000 / 20), you can certainly expect to be able to transfer much more than just the 6 streams the ETH offers.

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Anyone know how much heat this baby puts out? The 4 tuner version put out a bit of heat and this one has 50% more tuners. Modern technology will allow it to be designed more efficiently, which is why I wonder. I now use the Eth6, but when I used the PCIe4 I had to have a fan blowing across it to move the heat out of the case.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:21 pm

mcewinter wrote:The ETH is also good if you wish to build a small HTPC, very much like what Barnabas is up to...

The ETH by far isn't a stupid idea that wouldn't work; Baranabas is using a competitor's ethernet attached tuner and is proven technology at this point.
For the record, the ITV4/6 PCIe cards are *also* ethernet devices as far as the signal goes...

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Ethernet-attached tuners are actually a very good idea for several reasons. The network bandwidth, as Richard pointed out, is not a problem.

Here are some good reasons for a network-attached tuner:

1) You can build a tiny PC.
2) You can hide the tuner in a closet.
3) The tuners can be easily shared by multiple PC's.
4) If you have SDV, the tuning adapter plugs directly into the tuner's USB port (not into the PC's USB), which allows you to hide the tuning adapter in a closet along with the tuner.

I actually just purchased two dual-tuner HDHR3-US tuners (which are also network-attached tuners, but are QAM/ATSC instead of CableCARD), in addition to the two HD HomeRun PRIME tuners I already had. I haven't given the new PC a full load-test yet, because I haven't paired all of my extenders to it yet. But, I can tell you that I've tested my older, slower PC by recording 10 channels (6 from the HDHR Primes, and 4 from internal tuners), and also had all five of my extenders running too. So that's 11 HD streams going across my network. I don't remember the exact stats from the Windows Performance Monitor, but I can tell you that the network was nowhere near saturation (which occurs when the network is at 70-90% of it's rated capacity of 1 gigabit).

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:58 pm

adam1991 wrote:
mcewinter wrote:The ETH is also good if you wish to build a small HTPC, very much like what Barnabas is up to...

For the record, the ITV4/6 PCIe cards are *also* ethernet devices as far as the signal goes...
Your point is moot.

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:10 pm

cybrsage wrote:Anyone know how much heat this baby puts out? The 4 tuner version put out a bit of heat and this one has 50% more tuners. Modern technology will allow it to be designed more efficiently, which is why I wonder. I now use the Eth6, but when I used the PCIe4 I had to have a fan blowing across it to move the heat out of the case.

Hate quoting myself, but by now someone should own one of these and can comment on it.

ceton 6

Post by ceton 6 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:50 am

The Ceton InfinTV 6 ETH pixlates when more than 4 channels are in use. I would think the PCIe and ETH would share the same primary parts. Ceton support has not been able to fix the problem that is over 30 days old or issue a RMA even after providing many diagnostic reports displaying the defect.

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:40 pm

ceton 6 wrote:The Ceton InfinTV 6 ETH pixlates when more than 4 channels are in use. I would think the PCIe and ETH would share the same primary parts. Ceton support has not been able to fix the problem that is over 30 days old or issue a RMA even after providing many diagnostic reports displaying the defect.
4?

try 3 for me on the PCIe-6

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm definitely seeing major macroblocking and stuttering when I manually tune all 6 tuners to the same channel. But I can't think of a situation where I would be watching and recording 6 of the same channel. I just recorded 6 hour long shows (on at the same time), and watching them so far, none of them have issues. I did place a laptop cooler on the tuner, and temps are 10-15 degrees cooler. Maybe you can try a fan?

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:15 am

This is the pcie version, i have a slot cooler next to the device, temps are in the 50s.

im talking about DIFFERENT channels, not the sames ones.

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:20 pm

RyC wrote:I'm definitely seeing major macroblocking and stuttering when I manually tune all 6 tuners to the same channel. But I can't think of a situation where I would be watching and recording 6 of the same channel. I just recorded 6 hour long shows (on at the same time), and watching them so far, none of them have issues. I did place a laptop cooler on the tuner, and temps are 10-15 degrees cooler. Maybe you can try a fan?
The use-case here is for multiple HTPCs. You have your main HTPC record all your non-CCI protected content, and both HTPCs require CCI protected content.

This is actually the ONLY reason I would want more tuners.

xnappo

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:42 pm

Good point, I hadn't thought of that since I only have one htpc doing all the recording.

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Wouldnt it just be easier to record all on the same HTPC and then run a script to query the metadata and move the CCI protected (or non-protected) content to a specific location?

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Copy protected content can only be watched on the computer it was recorded on, so if you want the option to watch a copy protected show on all your HTPCs, they must all record their own copy.

On a side note, do you know of a script that can query the metadata and see if it's copy protected? I know DVRMSToolbox can, but if I could do it from the command line in a bat script, that would be great.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:14 pm

I wrote some vbscripts that can query the Extended Properties of a WTV file. You should be able to modify it to query the Protected flag

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 845#p43845