Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe - Upgrade

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:06 am

So, what you're saying is...

There is a splitter at the entry point. Then, there is another splitter. Then, there is a 3rd splitter. Then, there is an amplifier. Then, there is a fourth splitter. Then, there is a CableCARD tuner.

And... you're wondering why it doesn't work????

Here's an idea....

Take the cable at the entry point, and connect it to the amplifier. Then, use a SINGLE splitter to split it to all the other equipment. In other words... use ONE four-way splitter instead of THREE two-way splitters.

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:19 pm

no, there are only 2 splitters - one at the entry point, and one before the tv/card - and an amp. So three legs total.

I tried what you suggested originally, but there was insufficient signal for the ceton.

Hopefully i will have better luck with the moto.

I have a decent quality monster 4-way splitter (-7.4db loss) which i will use and cap the 4th split.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 am

The Mac wrote:no, there are only 2 splitters - one at the entry point, and one before the tv/card - and an amp. So three legs total.

I tried what you suggested originally, but there was insufficient signal for the ceton.

Hopefully i will have better luck with the moto.

I have a decent quality monster 4-way splitter (-7.4db loss) which i will use and cap the 4th split.
You installed the amp before the first splitter?

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:52 am

originally, yes.

but there was insufficient gain from the crummy radio shack amp to drive even 2 of the 4 tuners of the ITV4, i had to move it right at the ITV4. 3 of the 4 tuners worked fine, and there was significant, but tolerable macroblocking on the 4th after the move.

im hoping the moto, due to being a single port (the RS is a 4 port), placed at ingress, will be able to do as you suggest and have sufficient gain to drive all 6 tuners of the new ITV6. Right now, with the RS placed at ITV6 cant drive even 4 of the 6.

im also hoping, due to the fact that the moto is an active return, may help the SNR to compensate for a degraded signal. Wishful thinking, i know, but due to my lousy input, im desparate.

For all intents and purposes, im trying to drive 7 tuners and a cable modem on a really, really bad input...lol...

gthompson20

Post by gthompson20 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:59 am

You pay for a good signal from the Cable Company, so I would have them come out and fix your incoming signal...

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:35 pm

not gonna happen.

They would have to replace the entire neighborhood infrastructure.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:35 pm

I live in an older neighborhood, with very old utility lines (all of them).

I had several different problems at one time, including signal problems right at the point where their cable connects to my house. After I made a lot of noise, they came out and fixed problems in several areas in my neighborhood, replaced the drop to my house, installed a very nice amplifier, found and repaired an ingress problem with one of my drops, pulled a new drop from outside directly to my CableCARD tuners (so it didn't have to be split with the cable modem), all at no charge.

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:09 pm

i understand, and at some point will probably jump up and down and yell at them, but its not something thats going to happen in the next couple days.

So for now, i need to resolve it myself.

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:27 pm

oh boy, its amazing the difference a good drop amp makes.

my modem is now fully bonded with a great signal, and the ITV6 is hovering around -1db on my worst channel (syfy).

Time will tell weather there is sufficient signal to drive all 6 tuners without macrobloking.