Freezes requiring reboot

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Dean L. Surkin

HTPC Specs: Show details

Freezes requiring reboot

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:43 pm

In the past week, I have twice had the Echo in my bedroom freeze on a video frame. The second time, I got a message that network bandwidth was insufficient, and did I want to tune my network now (I said no, since I had long ago optimized the network for media streaming). In both cases, simply turning the Echo off and back on solved the problem. Of course, the WAF declined by several points each time.

Prior to this week, I don't recall seeing this problem. I'm running the 3/20/2013 firmware, and my HTPC runs Windows 7 64-bit version with 16 GB RAM. If anyone else has seen this, I'd like to know.
Dean L. Surkin

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Are you using the supplied usb cable :) Could not help myself!

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm

You probably did this already but I would power cycle everything including switch's/routers.

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:23 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:You probably did this already but I would power cycle everything including switch's/routers.
Good idea. I haven't cycled the router in several months. I'll monitor the situation, but the problem might not recur, so this thread may remain quiescent for a while.
Dean L. Surkin

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:51 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:Are you using the supplied usb cable :) Could not help myself!
This is actually not a joke. I used a monoprice cable and had a lot of power issues with the echo. When I went back to the one they supplied my power issues went away. By power issues I mean freezes and reboots.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:17 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
IownFIVEechos wrote:Are you using the supplied usb cable :) Could not help myself!
This is actually not a joke. I used a monoprice cable and had a lot of power issues with the echo. When I went back to the one they supplied my power issues went away. By power issues I mean freezes and reboots.

I had you in mind when I wrote it :)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:03 pm

Dean L. Surkin wrote:If anyone else has seen this, I'd like to know.
Yes, mine froze a couple times. I went back to the "old software". It's been 5 days with no problems. I am using 12_12_04_0935 now.

warpster

Post by warpster » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Normal for mine.....I thought it was a feature?

Seriously happens often, but without the network error dialog. Of course I've gotten so used to it that as soon as it starts having issues I just shut the Echo off and back on, no sense in waiting...oh and thank you Ceton....

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:31 am

Like I said, it's been 5 days with no problems. A couple weeks ago I smelled an Android Update coming and went ahead and updated everything to the latest. That's when my problems began.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Like I said, it's been 5 days with no problems. A couple weeks ago I smelled an Android Update coming and went ahead and updated everything to the latest. That's when my problems began.
I'm not seeing the relationship here?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Can you elaborate a little? Well OK, elaborate a lot. I don't understand what you are asking.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:44 pm

What does thinking an android update was coming have to do with updating and then having problems?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:03 am

Well, I thought the Android update was coming so I decided to update all the software asociated with the Echo. Then I got some problems such as "Freezing requiring a reboot" and the "Network Issue box up in the right corner of the screen"

Anyway, I uninstalled the latest Echo software, and installed the old version that I was using before "0935". It's been 6 days with no freezing.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:22 am

I no longer run the Ceton Echo companion software. I also found it created instability. I just use the device web page to manage the required settings.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:24 am

shortcut3d wrote:I no longer run the Ceton Echo companion software. I also found it created instability. I just use the device web page to manage the required settings.
Wow! That's a GREAT solution!

But, I've got a better one.

I no longer run the Echo! Now, it absolutely never crashes. It's been amazingly stable ever since I shipped it back to Ceton.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:38 am

IownFIVEechos wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:

I had you in mind when I wrote it :)
I've been TRYING to keep my mouth shut, but this post (between Sammy2 and IownFIVEechos) really made me laugh. But... shortcut3d's post broke the seal on my mouth. It's just unbelievable to me that ANYONE can think that the Echo is acceptable after my own personal experience and what I've read about it on this site from others since I sent it back to Ceton after the EXTENDED warrantee period.

But, seriously? It's been TEN MONTHS since the thing came out, and it STILL doesn't work!

How can ANYONE defend that?

Phil Seastrand

Post by Phil Seastrand » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:56 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:But, seriously? It's been TEN MONTHS since the thing came out, and it STILL doesn't work!

Doesn't work FOR YOU! It works fine FOR ME so I can easily defend that.

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Phil Seastrand wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:But, seriously? It's been TEN MONTHS since the thing came out, and it STILL doesn't work!

Agree, the point of view is important.

However for a lot less money, I could buy a much cheaper (more stable) extender that 'works fine for me' as well. The point is, this is/was supposed to be the next generation of extender, and it has the price tag to go along with it.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:35 pm

th3Pil0t wrote:
Phil Seastrand wrote:

However for a lot less money, I could buy a much cheaper (more stable) extender that 'works fine for me' as well. The point is, this is/was supposed to be the next generation of extender, and it has the price tag to go along with it.
Again, point of view. The Echo is perfectly stable for some, including me.

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:21 pm

RyC wrote:
th3Pil0t wrote:
Phil Seastrand wrote: Doesn't work FOR YOU! It works fine FOR ME so I can easily defend that.

Again, point of view. The Echo is perfectly stable for some, including me.
Do you think that it's worth the extra money you pay over other extenders in its current condition? I don't. But I (and everyone else) is hoping that changes with Android integration shortly.