Slideshow Finds Photos From Hidden Network Drives

Bubbatron

HTPC Specs: Show details

Slideshow Finds Photos From Hidden Network Drives

Post by Bubbatron » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:26 pm

Problem:
When Media Center plays a slideshow, it is pulling photos from other drives on my network - drives that ARE NOT MAPPED on this PC. I can't figure out how it finds them. Some of the pictures are not what you would want on the living room wall.

Environment:
- Windows Media Center running on Windows 7 Home Premium
- Media Player 12. As far as I know, everything is up-to-date.
- All media is on NAS drives made by D-Link.
- This home network is set up as a Workgroup--and has been ever since WFW 3.11. We don't use Homegroups.

Debugging steps:
- I tried setting the library in WMC to the exact folder I want it to read. No good.
- I tried adding the desired folder to Media Player. Media Player, surprisingly, has ZERO photos in its library, and I can't make it add any. I have tried changing the library folder, and I have also told it to re-add deleted files.
- There are a very few, seemingly random, folders of photos in the Media Player library. I can't get it to add more. The photos on the slideshow are NOT the ones in the WMC library.

This is all very confusing, and I may have to switch to another media player entirely if I can't control my WMC libraries better.
Any help would be appreciated.

jerryt

Post by jerryt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Bubbatron

Post by Bubbatron » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:28 pm

jerryt wrote:Check your public folder
On the Media Center PC, the Public folder is empty.
The NAS drives, not using Windows, have no Public folder.

Once again, Media Center is reading from network drives that are not mounted as drive letters, much less listed in libraries. That's a pretty good trick. Any ideas on how it can do that?

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Does it see the nas as some external drive? Like when you plug in a thumb drive and wmc goes nuts and tries to automatically do everything you don't want it to.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:23 pm

I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking this might have something to do with HomeGroup. I've never seen my slide show display stuff from other computers on my network, but the default slideshow is known to only show a few pictures over and over... so it may have never found others on my network.

Anyway... is your HTPC in a HomeGroup with the other computers where the offending pictures reside?

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:31 pm

No, you wouldn't want "those" photos showing up in the slideshow would you. Tnk

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:48 pm

As a matter of interest, have you tried disconnecting the HTPC from the network while the slideshow is running, and seeing if the problem photos still show up?

I'm only throwing it out there because something very strange is going on, and if the problem photos show up even when you are disconnected, then you might need to look somewhere else.