XBox 360 constantly losing connection to WMC?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
bartman01

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBox 360 constantly losing connection to WMC?

Post by bartman01 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:42 pm

After at least a year of (mostly) trouble free use, the XBox has started constantly losing the connection to WMC. Happens when the XBox is sitting in the WMC screens idle or while a show is paused. Once you get a show started (or while watching live tv), it stays connected just fine. I've tried different cables, different ports on the switch, and running a constant ping plot from that location to the WMC box (2 hours at 1 second intervals with out a single dropped packet before I stopped it).

Any ideas?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 pm

I've no idea what might be causing the problem, but I would have thought a constant ping from the WMC box to the XBox would be a more useful test than in the other direction.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:53 pm

By the way, you haven't recently acquired a Galaxy S4 have you?

bartman01

Post by bartman01 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Will the Xbox even respond to a ping request? If so, I can try that - was just running that to rule out a general network issue.

And no, I don't have a Galaxy S4.

Just ran sfc and checkdisk and am now running level 2 scans with SpinRite to rule out any easy to find disk issues.

bartman01

Post by bartman01 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:10 am

A little more info, looks like the error on the WMC machine is:
117 – Media Center Extender – session abruptly disconnected

Searching on this on the web I see lots of similar issues, but no real solutions.

bartman01

Post by bartman01 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:47 am

I think this is resolved - 24 hours with no issues. Seems to be some weird bug in the Xbox networking config. One of the posts I found on this error mentioned switching to wireless and then back to wired fixed it. Didn't make sense, but nothing to lose at this point so...

I unplugged the Ethernet cable and switched back to the wireless connection. I had changed the wireless password since the last time it was used on the XBox so I had to then disconnect and re-connect to my wireless network. Then I disconnected from wireless and then plugged my Ethernet cable back in. So far it is back to working correctly.