XBOX extender over wireless

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
craigbr

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBOX extender over wireless

Post by craigbr » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:15 am

Hello,
Is anyone having success using an XBOX 360 as an extender and watching Live HD TV over wireless ? My Win7 HTPC has a Ceton tuner with a gigabit card connected via CAT5 to a Dlink gigabit wireless N router. The router is in the basement and I'd like to add an extender for a tv on the second floor. Anyone having a reliable experience with this kind of wireless set-up watching live tv?
Thanks

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:46 am

craigbr wrote:Hello,
Is anyone having success using an XBOX 360 as an extender and watching Live HD TV over wireless ? My Win7 HTPC has a Ceton tuner with a gigabit card connected via CAT5 to a Dlink gigabit wireless N router. The router is in the basement and I'd like to add an extender for a tv on the second floor. Anyone having a reliable experience with this kind of wireless set-up watching live tv?
Thanks
I'm testing it out now with a very similar setup. My wife decided she wanted the tv on the opposite wall as the cat6 line I ran. I have a fairly high end router and it is still unreliable. Sometimes it works well, other times it stutters like hell. I would suggest using a powerline adapter instead of wifi.

TonyXL

Post by TonyXL » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:44 pm

I can't get consistent HD video over wireless-n in my house. Extender is only 1 floor away, problem is I live in a townhouse neighborhood and the 2.4Ghz band is saturated (15 APs in detectable range).

I'm trying to noodle a way to run cat6 but it's a difficult run.

Can the powerline give you a 99.99% consistent fast speed to send HD? What unit is recommended?

Was also considering connecting the Xbox to a 5Ghz router, and upgrading my current router to 5Ghz to avoid the 2.4Ghz saturation, but that's 2 expensive routers that may not be snappy enough.

Thanks,
Tony

TonyXL

Post by TonyXL » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:11 pm

After digging into powerline networking a bit, there seem to be 2 solid choices from NewEgg, anyone have any experience with these and the Xbox 360 as a 7MC extender?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833181122
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833122360

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:16 pm

I have an older Netgear powerline adapter. I forget the model number. No problems watching HD content. The menu still lags a little. I'm not sure Xbox supports 5ghz. I have a newer xbox and the 5ghz network doesn't show up.

dotbatman

Post by dotbatman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:46 am

I'm using three of these and some dry coaxial cable. Works fantastically.
http://www.amazon.com/Directv-Decabb1mr ... 716&sr=8-3

jjhtpc

Post by jjhtpc » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:43 am

I have a dual band netgear 3700 and use the 5ghz to a dlink bridge from my main floor to my bedroom upstairs on the opposite end of the house. I have the ceton and the setup works flawlessly. It even works for 1080p mp4 rips.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:04 pm

jjhtpc, I just got a 3700 a few days ago and for some reason, my extender no longer works. Says it can't connect even though it sees the pc and gives me no error. Is there any special settings you used for this?
It was working with my old Linksys.
Thanks

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Beerman wrote:jjhtpc, I just got a 3700 a few days ago and for some reason, my extender no longer works. Says it can't connect even though it sees the pc and gives me no error. Is there any special settings you used for this?
It was working with my old Linksys.
Thanks
I fixed it by removing the extender and adding it back in.
I also apologize as I realized I hijacked this thread......very sorry for that!

Shran

Post by Shran » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:41 pm

I have not tried WMC yet, but I do have a wireless bridge setup for my xbox in my master bedroom.

I have an old linksys wrt54g with dd-wrt on it. Its running as a client bridge to the main router in the basement from the second floor. I stream nextflix and play xbox live fine. My laptop works most of the time in the same location, but pretty low signal. Also, my iphone hardly picks up the main router, so I think the linksys does pretty well. I plan to switch over to WDS instead of client bridge, but I just haven't needed to yet.