Great Work thanks Ceton

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
cparker2k

HTPC Specs: Show details

Great Work thanks Ceton

Post by cparker2k » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi guys,

Despite a far number of negative forum posts I just wanted to drop a note about how great the Ceton Echo works even in its current state. I got a grey import from US ebay as fed up waiting for a UK release :wtf: after replacing my HTPC with an i5 laptop to give it some umph and repositioning my aerial I can now watch BBC HD, works really well and very pleased :) Super sharp picture and its rock steady and even on normal channels doesnt need a daily reboot like old extenders.

Thanks Ceton and look forward to a formal release in the near future so I can buy a couple more! :D

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:22 pm

It sounds to me like you are outside the USA. Further, it sounds like you've tried the Linksys DMA-2x00 extenders in the past.

In the UK, you have lots of recorded TV content that is using H.264 encoding.

Have you ever tried an HP X280N extender?

In my experience, the HP handles H.264 encoded video better than the Echo or the Linksys extenders.

I'd be willing to send you an HP extender to compare, if you pay a $100.00USD deposit plus shipping. But... you must post an honest comparative review and return the HP extender to me when your testing is finished.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:06 am

^
Apples and oranges.
PAL and NTSC.

The OP has stated he is very pleased and has no issues.
Why are you trying to say he has?

To be quite honest, I didn't have such a smooth ride with the Linksys DMA's as I do the Echo, so you make no sense at all with your claims.
Send me the hundred and we'll call it quits. ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 am

STC wrote:^
Apples and oranges.
PAL and NTSC.

The OP has stated he is very pleased and has no issues.
Why are you trying to say he has?

To be quite honest, I didn't have such a smooth ride with the Linksys DMA's as I do the Echo, so you make no sense at all with your claims.
Send me the hundred and we'll call it quits. ;)
My DMA's cause me problems all the time. Just tonight one refused to connect despite multiple power cycles. They hang all the time. I'm waiting for another sale on the Echo's. I was waiting for Android but I can't wait anymore.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 am

STC wrote:^
Apples and oranges.
PAL and NTSC.
Not these days. PAL was the 625 line system used in many parts of Europe and the rest if the world, NTSC was the 525 line system used in North America, and some other places.

Modern HD TV is 720 line or 1080 line in Europe and the US. ATSC can contain MPEG2 or MPEG4 content, but is almost exclusively MPEG2. In Europe, different countries are using DVB-T and DVB-T2, with MPEG4 increasingly common.

The Echo doesn't know anything about PAL, NTSC, ATSC, DVB-T or DVB-T2, it just deals with the content, either MPEG2 or MPEG4. The only difference between the US and Europe is the frame rate, as far as the Echo is concerned.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:44 am

^ Sorry, I should have thought about my reply a bit more.

Whilst NTSC, PAL and SECAM are analogue standards, there are inherent differences that carry through to HDMI such as 50Hz output in the UK as opposed to 60Hz here.
Another difference is in aspects of compression used for older NTSC vs PAL material converted to H.264.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 pm

My point was that the Linksys extenders couldn't deal with the H.264 encoding (MPEG-4), but the HP's can.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:15 pm

By the way the moderators allowed this topic to be a NEW topic shows the bias towards CETON. I posted a negative version of this as a new TOPIC and it was within 10min moved into another topic. Only thing the echo is good for right now is Bedrooms, kitchens etc.. You can not use it as a media center extender in a media room. It just doesn't cut it yet. Also why is the companion product not included with the echo? I bought the android version, but I need it on a ipad as well as windows 8? That adds to the cost?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Sorry if you feel the modding is unfair, I'm sure there was a valid reason for merging/moving posts. Do you feel that your post is out of place here?

I'm sure that if the need arises, other posts/threads will be merged with this one.

I don't know which post you are referring to, feel free to post a link here and we'll be happy to look into it.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 pm

I do recall a complaint thread being merged into the state of the echo thread it think. I think what is being said is that the kudos thread should also be merged for consistancy.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:47 pm

I do not want anyone worrying about it. Just thought it was odd. I am one of CETONs bigger supporters I think. I do have five echos it's not just my name. I really need them to succeed. I do not wish to keep giving negative posts. Thanks for the reply.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:14 pm

I've been called an echo fanboi myself..

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:54 pm

FWW,,, The mods are letting two negative threads on the InfiniTV6 ETH continue separately. Same kind of feedback for Ceton, "Product still in beta and not ready for retail. Where are the firmware updates to improve things? Pooling is still in beta since release. Etc."

cparker2k

Post by cparker2k » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:47 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:By the way the moderators allowed this topic to be a NEW topic shows the bias towards CETON.
Slightly over the top conspiracy theory... :crazy: but anyhow not sure why I would want a HP extender either. :?: The Ceton works very nicely in the main room I only want to use it for HD/TV not bothered at all what other formats it plays as I already have a PS3. (Correct regarding the Linksys extenders being my baseline)

My only gripe with the Ceton so far is it doesn't seem to have an option to play out of both HDMI and TOSLINK at the same time?