Number of tuners supported

ADX

HTPC Specs: Show details

Number of tuners supported

Post by ADX » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi there,

Can any one tell me how many tv/sat tuners can media centre support on one system. Let me enlighten you on what I would like to achieve.

I have a number of extenders dotted around my house and each extender can steam movies and music. I would to enable them the also steam live tv from the media centre too. This might be easy but i would like ultimately would like them to be able to watch different channels simultaneously. Not even sure that this is possible. But I'm sure I'm not the only person wishing to do this.

Many thanks
:crazy:

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:42 pm

4 tuners of each type (analogue, QAM, CableCard) unless you get Tuner Salad (or use the Ceton drivers if you get a Ceton InfiniTV; I believe they enable more tuners as well).

http://www.mychannellogos.com/tunersalad

ADX

Post by ADX » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Many thanks for the speedy reply. Can you confirm that each extender can watch a different Chanel from the others?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:56 pm

The Ceton tuner drivers enable 30 of each type. Ceton will only officially support 12 of their tuners connected to one system. Tuner Salad used to enable 12 tuners of each type, but I think they've increased that limit too.

Yes, each extender can watch a different channel. They also share the same recorded TV shows, the same electronic program guide, and the same recording schedule. You can even stop a show in one room, and then start watching it from the same point in a different room.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:58 pm

I have 10 tuners connected to my PC. I also have five extenders, plus there is a TV connected to the graphics adapter in the PC. All can watch a different channel, or any of the recorded TV on the PC.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:59 pm

ADX wrote:Many thanks for the speedy reply. Can you confirm that each extender can watch a different Chanel from the others?
Yes, that's the point of extenders (as long as each has at least 1 tuner available to itself) :)

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:02 pm

ADX wrote:Many thanks for the speedy reply. Can you confirm that each extender can watch a different Chanel from the others?
When you say "extender", do you mean Media Center Extender (XBox 360, Linksys DMA2x00 or HP extender)? If so, then each Extender will use a seperate Tuner for Live TV - you can have as many different Live TV streams as you have available Tuners. If 2 Media Center Extenders tune into the same channel, they will use 2 Tuners. (I'm open to correction on that, but I'm fairly sure that's how it works).

If by "extender" you mean a small PC that you use to access a central media library, then Live TV isn't an option.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:24 pm

foxwood wrote:If by "extender" you mean a small PC that you use to access a central media library, then Live TV isn't an option.
If by "extender" you mean a small PC that you use to access a central media library, then you're mis-using the term "extender" and you should instead be using proper terminology that everyone understands.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:29 pm

foxwood wrote:
When you say "extender", do you mean Media Center Extender (XBox 360, Linksys DMA2x00 or HP extender)? If so, then each Extender will use a seperate Tuner for Live TV - you can have as many different Live TV streams as you have available Tuners. If 2 Media Center Extenders tune into the same channel, they will use 2 Tuners. (I'm open to correction on that, but I'm fairly sure that's how it works).

If by "extender" you mean a small PC that you use to access a central media library, then Live TV isn't an option.
If more than 1 extender (not another PC, but a paired extender) and/or host PC are viewing the same channel, they will only use 1 tuner. Users can pause, rewind and fast forward independantly from other TV's, but are still limited by the default buffer of 40 minutes.