No content loads after app installation

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
pthorsvig

HTPC Specs: Show details

No content loads after app installation

Post by pthorsvig » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:44 am

Okay, I am loathe to actually post a message (I swear I search high and low on a board first), but I'm confused and at my wits end. The program(s) seem very simple to setup initially, and yet that is what I am having trouble with.

System - I'm running the backend and frontend on the same windows 8 machine. I have an HDHomerun Prime which works perfectly in regular old WMC. I installed the backend config media center app and also installed the metro My Media Center App. There aren't a lot of configuration options on the back end -I changed nothing and the diagnostic tool reports no problems. The metro app is able to detect the backend and connect, so I presume that means loopback functionality is working? When I go into the app however, there is essentially no content, just a few tiles with things like Tv Gallery, Guide, Premieres, etc. The guide will load and give me listings but it won't open the actual channel. Tv Gallery opens and says "No shows available".

Any help is greatly appreciated regarding my next step. I will post whatever information may be necessary if asked. Thanks.

-patrick

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:36 am

Patrick,

Glad you posted first off. So if it found it and it connected they yes the auto loop back worked and you are good to go. if this wasn't the case it wouldn't even connect at all.

So the guide does show up for you? Does pressing on a show allow you to go in and schedule recordings?
What about inside of Scheduled and Recorded TV?

Are you able to take some snap shots and post them? Just do a Print Screen on your Windows 8 PC and they will go into your Pictures/Snapshot folder.

James

For reference this is what my home screen looks like:
my homescreen.PNG
I Write, Code, and Tweet

pthorsvig

Post by pthorsvig » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:43 am

Hi James, thanks for responding. Here's what my main screen looks like:

If I hop into the guide, channel listings show up. I can select a channel and I get this screen:

I screwed around with this section a little bit. I can start a recording and this recording will show up in WMC. At one point I even got the recording to show up in My Media Center, but couldn't repeat that behavior. I can't cancel the recording interestingly - clicking cancel didn't stop the recording in WMC. One other note, selecting Watch Channel does nothing if WMC is closed. If WMC is open, the channel will start playing in WMC.

And it appears I have posted very large images... sorry, first time I have ever done this.

-patrick

p.s. - Scheduled is blank, I can take another look at it again if need be though.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:22 pm

Pretty interesting. Are you using Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?

My first suggestion is to just simply restart the PC and see if this fixes it up. Perhaps there are some locks on something. If that does not work, uninstall the My media center services, restart, re-install, and re boot again to see if that fixes it up.

Are all of your recordings stored on that PC? If they are on a different PC you might need to enter network credentials in the My Media Center Config under advanced/network.

The two things you outlined as far as a current recording doesn't stop (known issue), and that WMC has to be open (currently as designed).
I Write, Code, and Tweet

pthorsvig

Post by pthorsvig » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Windows 8. I have rebooted plenty of times previously, same behavior.

Here's what I have done - I uninstalled everything (backend and frontend), rebooted. Installed your backend software, ran diagnostics, no errors. Rebooted. Reinstalled metro. Exact same behavior, watching live television isn't happening. Also, I only have one computer in this whole scheme.

The recording did show up when I reinstalled however. Live TV still pulls up in ehshell in the background, so as of now your frontend is basically doing nothing for me. I am supposed to be able to use the app to watch live TV right? I was under the impression that your app was capable of replacing the live TV functionality performed by WMC and my reason for testing it right now is specifically that.

My goal is basically replacing ehshell. No other programs except for possibly yours really allows that for copy once channels. Using WMC as the backend seems like a great solution to copy once issues, not really much success so far though James. Let me know if my thinking/understanding of what My Media Center is supposed to be doing is warped.

-patrick

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:48 pm

I'm afraid you're out of luck. MMC is sort of a remote control for WMC, but all playback will occur in WMC itself, or on an Extender.

pthorsvig

Post by pthorsvig » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:53 pm

Odd. What's the point of having an app for windows then? Makes sense for other platforms, but so far I've basically got an app that does absolutely nothing - as you can see from my screenshot above I don't even have additional content - the "Watch Channel" feature? Doesn't really do much then?

pthorsvig

Post by pthorsvig » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:07 am

Okay, I give - clearly I misunderstood the use of Ceton's app. Switching between 2 different applications, WMC and MMC just to watch TV, manage recordings, etc, is an incredibly cumbersome concept (not to mention that the implementation is so far anything but smooth) - I have had enough fun screwing around, I'll quit before I sink any more time into this. Thanks.

-patrick

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:20 am

It's really meant to control WMC from another machine/device. Using it on the same machine is an untypical usage scenario.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Yup, I use the MMC app on my phone. Turns the phone into a remote control that can run my WMC box and my extenders. Another nice feature is scheduling recordings remotely. For example, let's say you are at work or at the bar, and somebody asks you if you have seen a particular movie. First, you can look in your collection to see if you have it in stock, and second you can search the guide to see when your provider will be broadcasting the show or movie. Then, you can make the date to watch it live, or schedule the recording and make the date for later.

There are probably more practical uses for it, these are just a couple that I use on a regular basis.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Correct, MMC is not a replacement for WMC it is a companion. A lot of people have multiple Windows 8 PCs in the house or at work so you can install MMC on there and use it to remotely manage and schedule recordings. In the house you can start playback etc without having to navigate through the menus. I have a copy of MMC on every device (from windows 8, ipods, and android phones and tablets) and I am always checking up. MMC on the same PC as WMC is nice if you don't want to have to leave Win8 metro and launch into WMC just to delete a recording or to see some upcoming premieres. Live Tiles are also great as well, which is what I use mine for a lot on the same PC.
I Write, Code, and Tweet