Logitech Harmony to MCE SE/Keyboard Commands

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
MMoser

HTPC Specs: Show details

Logitech Harmony to MCE SE/Keyboard Commands

Post by MMoser » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi,

This is my first post, and I've been setting up my HTPC based solely off of the tweaks and recommendations from this forum, so I'd first like to say thanks to everyone on here for their help. :thumbup:

I've gotten almost everything working, my last hurtle is getting my Logitech Harmony remotes to kick off macros/hotkeys.

I'm trying to execute ALT-1, ALT-2 commands and I've setup my Harmony to include the Media Center SE, & Keyboard, however I seem to be missing something as nothing happens when try to execute on the remote.

My IR comes from here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224 ... d_i=507846

Do I need a different IR receiver to enable Microsoft MCE SE/Keyboard commands?

I'm so close... Thanks for anyone's suggestions!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:54 pm

That's an Ortek protocol remote, not MCE. You need a different dongle like HP or Rosewill.

To make your harmony work, except for the Alt combo keys, you need to use the a Adesso ARC-1100 profile, not Media Center.

MMoser

Post by MMoser » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I'm hunting through Amazon for something that will work based on your post.

Just wondering, is there a wireless (backlit?) keyboard that will also work? I'm in the market for something that will be WAF, and maybe have a receiver that could pass on commands from the Harmony.
I know this is a noob question, but with so many out there a recommendation of a model that supports ALT-1 etc. commands would be very appreciated.

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:50 pm

If your Media Center responds to your Harmony remote commands, there is nothing wrong with your dongle. The Harmony One remotes I have cannot generate keyboard codes even when they are seemingly setup through the Logitech setup. They may seem to "take" but when you use them, there is no code generated; it just looks like there is no response from the IR dongle. I could never force it to "learn" ALT combinations from a real Microsoft MCE remote keyboard either.

This may not be true with their newer Harmony Touch and Ultimate models.

MMoser

Post by MMoser » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks Jamie!

Yep, I have my Harmony One & 900 remotes controlling WMC8 and working great with the SANOXY IR dongle.

When I was programming the Harmony remote, I saw in the MCE SE (or Keyboard?) command listings that it had the options for both Win and ALT commands, since then I have been trying to find a way to send those commands successfully from the Harmony.

My last goal is I would like to be able to setup a command that will make it easy for the WAF to switch the PC Resolution from 1080@60hz to 1080@23hrz for 3D Blu-Ray viewing using one of our remotes.

I've been looking into finding a MCE keyboard with IR dongle (that talks to the Harmony remote) on Amazon/Newegg for a few weeks, but I'm not sure what will work, esp. since all the fully functional MCE products seem to be discontinued!?!

I wonder if this is possible?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:16 am

Sorry Jaime, but that is incorrect. Only dongles that respond to the MCE protocol can see the extended set of commands including Alt combos and similar. This is because a few years ago Bev Howard learned them all from a full Microsoft IR keyboard and got Logitech to add the whole set to the database. There is only one profile with this extended set (THIS one) and it's only MCE protocol (RC6-32), not Ortek. It works on all harmony remotes, but only dongles that use MCE protocol. An Ortek remote won't work with an HP dongle, and vice versa. The commands after that point are generic of course and work with any program, including media center, xbmc, whatever.

Ortek will control media center just fine, but uses a completely different protocol with a more limited command set. I'm sure MMoser can confirm that his harmony doesn't work with his dongle at all when using an MCE profile.

MMoser, stay the course and get that dongle I told you about and you'll be in business. There are other ways to accomplish your goal but I'll leave that to others to explain.
Last edited by mdavej on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

MMoser

Post by MMoser » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:11 am

Hi mdavj,

Correct, this IR only controls normal media center functions, and not MCE.

Thanks for the tip. After a quick web search I found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Media-Center ... 20ccbcb4ea

Could this work?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:57 am

That should work fine. The important part is it says RC6 in the description. If you can find just the receiver, that's really all you need. That should be a little cheaper.

MMoser

Post by MMoser » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:59 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374652516.637475.jpg
Here's hoping!

More info:
http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop/RC6-In ... Q::30.html

I'll give a update once I get it. Thanks!

MMoser

Post by MMoser » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Update: This dongle works PERFECT! Thanks to everyone, esp. mdavej, for their help!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Glad to hear it. That's a lot smaller and cheaper than the HP most people use. Nice find. Thanks for reporting back.

Here's a listing from a US seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RC6-Infrare ... 1092021225

Would you mind testing something? Some dongles won't wake a PC in standby. Will this one, assuming you have the USB device enabled to wake your PC in device manager?

Thanks

MMoser

Post by MMoser » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:45 pm

mdavej: I'll give it a test this week.

BTW: That's the same person I got mine from on eBay, he's super fast. I got it in Burbank the next day. If your in L.A. use this seller!