Bootloops

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
lithium630

HTPC Specs: Show details

Bootloops

Post by lithium630 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:13 am

Anyone else having a problem with the Echo getting stuck in a boot loop? Mine was pretty solid until last week. It got stuck in a boot loop and power cycling it didn't help. I opened a support ticket and followed the instructions to restore it. Now less than a week later it is stuck in the same boot loop. The WAF is now at an all time low.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:13 am

First time I heard about that one. At what stage of the boot does it start again?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:53 am

Are you using the power supply and USB cable that shipped with the Echo?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:31 pm

It gets to Connecting to PC. The screen flashes crazy colors then reboots. I am using the power adapter that came with the echo. It started working again on its own for now.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:29 pm

I have found that the USB cable that came with the echo is as important, if not more important, than the power supply itself.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Sammy2 wrote:I have found that the USB cable that came with the echo is as important, if not more important, than the power supply itself.
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:32 pm

foxwood wrote:The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.
Best just to use the one it came with though; this way you don't have to go through the step of "try it with the original cable and get back to us".

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 pm

The USB cable with the echo is heavier gage and therefor carries more amps. A standard is one thing but sometimes you need to exceed the standard for a particular application. The echo is one such application.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:09 pm

If the requirements exceed the standard, it isn't standard anymore.

I think the point is, why use a non-standard USB power supply, instead of a barrel connector, or any number of off the shelf power supplies that would have worked just as well, and not lead to the inevitable "it doesn't work when I use a different cable/it doesn't work when I power it from the USB port on my TV/it doesn't work when it is plugged into my mobile phone charger"

Maybe this is something that couldn't be foreseen, but if you *know* it isn't going to work with other USB devices, it seems like an odd choice of power supplies.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:16 pm

ajhieb wrote:If the requirements exceed the standard, it isn't standard anymore.

I think the point is, why use a non-standard USB power supply, instead of a barrel connector, or any number of off the shelf power supplies that would have worked just as well, and not lead to the inevitable "it doesn't work when I use a different cable/it doesn't work when I power it from the USB port on my TV/it doesn't work when it is plugged into my mobile phone charger"

Maybe this is something that couldn't be foreseen, but if you *know* it isn't going to work with other USB devices, it seems like an odd choice of power supplies.

Give them some credit, they picked the greatest remote, they can not think of everything can they?

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:41 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
ajhieb wrote:If the requirements exceed the standard, it isn't standard anymore.

Give them some credit, they picked the greatest remote, they can not think of everything can they?
As funny as that is, I don't want to start another complaining thread. I just wanted to see if others are having the same issue. My install is a couple years old now. I'm over due for a reinstall. I wonder if it would help.
Last edited by lithium630 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Yes, the MoBo could have had a different power connection but this same connection can actually be used to connect to a PC for recovery too. A lot of devices these days just become bricks but the echo can actually have the f/w restored from this same port. That said, I think that a better power connector would be nice, maybe a wall wart with the USB cable permanently affixed to it.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:54 pm

What does recovery have to do with anything?

Also...

Everyone, Bootloops or Booty Pebbles, what's your breakfast preference?

Edited for levity.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 pm

ajhieb wrote:What does recovery have to do with anything?

Also...

Everyone, Bootloops or Booty Pebbles, what's your breakfast preference?

Edited for levity.

Make sure your HTPC is staying in the Home Network. I am able to replicate boot loops by putting my HTPC in public network.