What hardware changes will not break DRM?

fyiman

HTPC Specs: Show details

What hardware changes will not break DRM?

Post by fyiman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:33 am

I have a Gateway DX4300 PC, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, 8GB ram, with factory TV Tuner card connected to Comcast set-top-box using standard coax.

I want to upgrade some hardware and reinstall Windows 7 but I am concerned because I have many recorded TV shows and movies that I would like to be able to play after I make the hardware changes and reinstall Windows 7.

In particular, I want to:
1) Replace my HD to a larger HD
2) Reinstall Windows 7 on the new HD (using Gateway recovery disks, and same original Windows 7 product ID key).
3) (Optional but highly desired) Replace my Video card with a better one.
4) (Optional but may be necessary with new Video card) Replace my TV Tuner card.

I know I need to: Backup my WMC settings and (PlayReady) DRM keys to restore to the PC after the hardware changes and reinstall of Windows 7. A good guide on how to do this would be helpful, but I have found a lot of info on this online and I can probably work this out, but I'd hate to miss something important.

How likely is it that any (or all) of the planned hardware changes (and Reinstall of Windows 7) will still allow me to play protected recordings that I have previously made.

About #3/4:

The factory video card is:
ATI Radeon HD 3200, ATI Display (0x9619), Dedicated video memory: 256 MB.

I bought a new video card but the problem is:
1) The factory video card takes up 1 standard slot width.
2) The new Video card takes up nearly 2 (significantly more than 1) slot widths, so I can't install another card in the slot next to the video card slot when I install this video card. (Yes, I should have checked this before buying the card).
3) Directly next to the video card slot, is the factory TV Tuner card.
4) The TV tuner card is plugged into what appears to be a non-standard card-edge slot connector. It is very short in length, perhaps about an inch total.

So, If I install the new video card, I have to remove the factory TV Tuner card and replace it with one that installs into a standard (PCI) slot.

The other option is to find another video card that will fit in 1 slot and sell this new video card which would allow me to keep my current TV tuner card which is working fine and fits my needs at this time.

But, the new video card is a fairly decent card with 2GB-DDR3, and finding a decent card that fits in 1 slot will cost considerably more than the $20 - $30 (or less) for a new TV Tuner card.

So, how much of this is likely to be possible to do while still being able to play protected recordings I previously made?

Note-1: As I said, I am using Comcast, connected to set-top-box with coax. I do not have any premium channels (only Starz and Encore included in cable HD package). I don't know how much of an issue any of this is because I don't know how many (or if any at all) of the recordings are actually protected... is there any way to tell by examining the properties of the files?

Final note: Right now, I have no problem playing any of these recordings. Since my DRM keys are in place and working, is there any way to convert these recordings from .wtv to some other format (like perhaps .mp4) where the DRM keys would no longer be needed?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:56 am

It doesn't sound like you have a cable-card tuner, so you shouldn't have any protected recordings. In WMC, when you open a recorded TV show, the bottom of the synopsis page will have an Info icon with the words Copy protected next to it.

In Windows Explorer, if you open the Recorded TV folder, select Details view, then you can right-click on the column headers, click on More and put a check next to Protected. This will add a column in that folder showing the protected status of each recording.

fyiman

Post by fyiman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:34 pm

foxwood wrote:It doesn't sound like you have a cable-card tuner, so you shouldn't have any protected recordings...
Yes, definately NOT a cable-card tuner. This connects from the Comcast set-top-box to the rear-panel connector on the TV Tuner card via a standard coax cable. The setup actually uses the tuner in the Comcast box... There is a small (USB) IR Transceiver that is positioned near the Comcast box that takes input from the WMC Remote, and sends IR signals to the Comcast box to control channel selection.

Here is info about the TV Tuner card:
01-TV Tuner Details---Screenshot-2013-0712-0558.15-PM.png
TV Tuner Details
In Windows Explorer, if you open the Recorded TV folder, select Details view, then you can right-click on the column headers, click on More and put a check next to Protected...
Thanks for the info about adding the "Protected" column to Windows Explorer view. Here is a partial list of some files:
02-Public-recorded-tv---Screenshot-2013-0712-0540.19-PM.png
C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV
If I try to open one of the protected files in Windows Live Movie Maker, it won't let me work with it as a project. It just shows 7 seconds of blank (black) screen. It looks like this:
03-Windows Live Movie Maker---Screenshot-2013-0712-0548.45-PM.png
Windows Live Movie Maker
03-Windows Live Movie Maker---Screenshot-2013-0712-0548.45-PM.png (10.44 KiB) Viewed 1228 times

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:50 am

I have no idea how you got protected files in that configuration, though I notice that the newer files aren't protected. Did something change recently?

fyiman

Post by fyiman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:07 am

foxwood wrote:I have no idea how you got protected files in that configuration...
I'm not sure, but my guess is something like this...
The signal (coax) from the Comcast box (to the TV Tuner card) is always unprotected (has been unprotected by Comcast box).
Info in the "Guide" (EPG) says that the show is "Copy protected", so WMC encrypts the show when it creates the ".wtv" file.
...though I notice that the newer files aren't protected. Did something change recently?
Nothing has changed on my computer, and it is the same (original) cable-box for about 2 years.

It is perhaps a little odd... I opened the "C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV" in Windows Explorer and sorted the view by creation date and found the most recent Protected file ("Les Misérables 25th Anniversary Concert") was recorded on 09-March-2013, over 4 months ago. I would say this is not typical for what I have noticed in the past... but I rarely pay close attention to it.

From what I have noticed in the past, some channels are never protected (at least not that I've noticed), some channels are rarely protected, and for some channels it is common to see some shows protected. But it has always been very much hit-or-miss. I don't think I have ever noticed any particular channel or series show that is always protected.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:35 am

foxwood wrote:I have no idea how you got protected files in that configuration, though I notice that the newer files aren't protected. Did something change recently?
The cable box is obviously passing analog copy protection...which is both technically possible and allowed by FCC rules.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:57 am

richard1980 wrote:The cable box is obviously passing analog copy protection...which is both technically possible and allowed by FCC rules.
How very 20th century :)

fyiman

Post by fyiman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:25 pm

richard1980 wrote:The cable box is obviously passing analog copy protection...which is both technically possible and allowed by FCC rules.
The coax cable is from the output connector of the Comcast cable box that plugs into a TV (ATSC).

If I plug this cable directly into a TV, I can view all subscribed channels. The signal on this cable is not encoded/encrypted. The encryption is being done by WMC when it writes the file to disk.

The TV Tuner card and the TV are both digital (ATSC) not analog.

jlader

Post by jlader » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:26 pm

If you re-install Windows, you will loose the ability to watch your protected content. The hardware changes you mentioned ae not enough to trigger a re-activation. Even if it did, you just re-activate. To change your Hard-drive, you don't need to re-install the OS, just copy it over. You can use a 3rd party software like Macrium Reflect to clone the drive or partition. No need to re-install. You can also use the Windows 7 built in backup-recover application in Control Panel to make a back-up And the restore it to a new drive. I've used both when installing a SSD for the operating System. If the drive is larger, you may need to use a partition manager to expand the drive, or use the one in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. No Need to Re-install.

If this is Desktop PC, you mat not need to replace the HD, just add another one. I have 4 in my MCE PC ( a 60GB SSD for the OS, 2-2g & 1 3G SATA HDs for media, movies and recording). Put in the New HD, format it and then direct MCE to that drive for recording.
Some say the way to peace is through many arms...

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:21 pm

fyiman wrote:
The coax cable is from the output connector of the Comcast cable box that plugs into a TV (ATSC).

If I plug this cable directly into a TV, I can view all subscribed channels. The signal on this cable is not encoded/encrypted. The encryption is being done by WMC when it writes the file to disk.

The TV Tuner card and the TV are both digital (ATSC) not analog.
The inclusion of an ATSC tuner in a particular device doesn't mean the device lacks an NTSC (analog) tuner. In fact, it's the other way around. FCC rules require devices that contain an ATSC tuner to also contain an NTSC tuner. FCC rules also require devices with an NTSC tuner that were manufactured after a certain date (the date varies by device type) to also contain an ATSC tuner. Simply put, both your TV and your TV tuner card contain NTSC tuners.

The signal that comes out of your cable box coax output is analog, not digital. If you connect the coax output on the cable box to the coax input on the TV (or your TV tuner card), you'll only be able to view the cable box output if your TV or TV tuner card is tuned to NTSC channel 3 or 4, depending on which channel the cable box uses.

I don't know why you introduced encryption into the conversation, but there is no encryption happening. The problem is with copy protection, not encryption. Your cable box is passing analog copy protection out of the coax connector. The copy protection flags are then received by WMC, and when you make a recording of content that has analog copy protection, WMC copy protects the resulting recording.