Set up InfiniTV 6 but getting Subscription Required error

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
wackychimp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Set up InfiniTV 6 but getting Subscription Required error

Post by wackychimp » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:26 am

Brand new HTPC. WMC on Win 7. Tuning adapter and CableCARD from Time Warner installed today. OTA local channels are coming in fine. Any cable channel (Discovery HD, ESPN, History, etc.) are all giving the "Subscription Required" error. BTW - everything is working fine with the tuning adapter and CableCARD on my Tivo downstairs, so it's not the feed coming into the house.

I found this thread and it mentions an OOB lock problem. How do I find out if that's my problem? I checked all around and I'm not finding it in any settings or in the Ceton Diagnostic tool.

Are there other solutions to this problem too?

Also is this something I should open a case for with Ceton?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:58 am

That sounds like your CableCard isn't provisioned properly.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:17 am

If you are on a cisco system, go to the cableCARD tab in the web gui for the tuner and click on the Condition Access Detail (CA Screen)

You should see:

Cisco CableCARD(tm)
Conditional Access Details

System Id: 0x0E00
Status: Ready ---if this says not ready or not staged then you got a card they didn't put into the digital control network.
Internal Secure Micro Serial No:
02:06:00:71:7E:00
Secure Micro Software Ver:
CA Time:
Wed Jul 10 2013, 11:44:00 PM GMT
Time GBAM: 5717
App GBAM: 0
Purchase GBAM: 0
EMMs Processed: 4

If the card isn't staged, it needs to be added to the headend control network computer which is something that the telephone support people can't do. If you can get hold of dispatch for your district they can connect you to the head end and once they enter the serial number for the card, it will instantly start working.

wackychimp

Post by wackychimp » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks for your help!

Here's what I have on that page:

System Id: 0x0E00
Internal Secure Micro Serial No:
02:04:00:22:DB:3E
Secure Micro Software Ver:
CA Time:
Thu Jul 11 2013, 11:58:00 AM GMT
Time GBAM: 2579
App GBAM: 0
Purchase GBAM: 0
EMMs Processed: 0

-------------------------

Only thing missing is the EMMs Processed... am I right? I didn't have time to call in this morning before I left the house. So this is how it sits right now.

BTW - What is dispatch? Are you saying that I need to have a guy come out to my house?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Does the CableCARD show up as paired? Agreed this is a CableCARD provisioning issue.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

wackychimp

Post by wackychimp » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:28 pm

erkotz wrote:Does the CableCARD show up as paired? Agreed this is a CableCARD provisioning issue.
Yes, I confirmed that before I got off the phone with Time Warner during the activation. What is provisioning and how do I fix it? Or what do I need to tell Time Warner to do to fix it?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Provisioning is basically a generic term related to all authorization of the CableCARD. I still believe it's not provisioned right, but I would recommend you open a support ticket with us now.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 pm

wackychimp wrote:
erkotz wrote:Does the CableCARD show up as paired? Agreed this is a CableCARD provisioning issue.
Yes, I confirmed that before I got off the phone with Time Warner during the activation. What is provisioning and how do I fix it? Or what do I need to tell Time Warner to do to fix it?
One other problem that happens with TWC is with the billing department. Equipment must be listed on their internal inventory in a proper order or it will not work. I've had them brick STB and cableCARDs when they were just in the wrong order on the account. If you only have a single item, that would not be the case, but with phone service, internet service and TiVo, two TAs and two cableCARDs, if they are wrong on the account (this is also part of pairing/provisioning/authorization for want of a specific term) the offending device won't work. This can usually be handled by a savvy CSR on the phone. Also check and make sure that your tiers have been added to your new device...another cause of trouble.

wackychimp

Post by wackychimp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Have a ticket in with Ceton and have updated firmwares at their direction but the strange problem is that sometimes I'm able the get all channels for about 5 minutes and then I start getting the errors... but I'm getting different errors each time. Sometimes protected content error, sometimes weak signal, sometimes no tuner is available or subscription is required. Each time I do a fresh reboot of the HTPC and the ITV6.

This is strange...

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:27 pm

These errors in MC are like the old Magic 8 Ball (which I use instead) they may or may not reflect on the condition encountered (for a number a reasons).

All of these can be triggered by signal level or noise. Check several channels for signal level, s/n and frequency. Things should be fine if the signal level is withing +/- 7 dBmV and you have a s/n level above 30 db. Your installer should have run a full spectrum scan at the input to the tuner but signal level will vary during times of the day, outdoor temperature and distance you're on coax from the node where the fiber is converted to coax.

Check your signal levels, since you're on TWC they usually will install and provide a two way amp where it is necessary to bring the signal into compliance. They don't charge for the service call or the equipment. (At least not here in Los Angeles District).

Allen70

Post by Allen70 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Have Ceton ITV6 (replaced a Ceton ITV4 internal) I seem to have the same issue with the same messages -- messages that change. Words to the effect of:

"Subscription required..", "No tuner...", "Poor signal...", "Playready needs update.."

At times, a minute or two later, the channel comes in. Or, I wait and the channel never comes in. Or, I try again and the channel comes in. Or, I try again and I never get the channel or any other channel. Or, I try a different channel and sometimes it works. VERY RANDOM. It takes an "unusually" long time before a new channel is up on the screen even when it does work.

During all this, the Ceton application says the InfiniTV 6, cable card, etc are functioning properly and it can find the channel in a matter of seconds (occasionally takes 2 tries). Have latest firmware according to the app.

All other TVs in the house work (the ones not connected to a Computer). I try the Ceton with other TVs on and other TVs off. With all computers on with only one computer on. Does not seem to matter.

We use Windows 7 Pro, Windows 7 HP, and Windows 8 Pro with Media Center -- all AMD CPUs and AMD graphics cards (HD5xxx, HD7xxx). All work (or don't work) the same. Have ASUS router ASUS ASUS RT-AC66U. Two computers hardwired, two on WiFi -- makes no difference -- work (or don't work) the same.

Ceton TV6 gets hot. I put it on a laptop cooling fan -- made no difference.

FWIW

Allen70

Post by Allen70 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:52 am

UPDATE: Seems to work now -- only a few hours. I think the Ceton ITV6 was OVERHEATING.

When cool to the touch, it works quick and as expected. I've used a fan to cool it way down. Its in a 72F to 75F location and was raised up to improve passive venting -- however, the Ceton passive cooling was evidently inadequate.

Have to use it a couple days and see if it continues working.

Allen70

Post by Allen70 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Final follow up.

Problems caused by overheating. Solved with laptop fan placed under the Ceton InfiniTV 6. Hopefully, Ceton will address the issue so that folks like us don't get confused by random error messages -- and spend hours trying to fix the software -- when its a hardware issue.

All is well :)

wackychimp

Post by wackychimp » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:20 am

Good news for Allen70 but my problem still exists. My tuner is cool to the touch and it's not a heat issue.

Tried 3 BETA firmwares and no dice. I'm now not able to even tuner in OTA or digital cable channels. Sigh... :?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Check a few things. First go to the web gui and then cableCARD tab and click on the Davic info link, it will give you some data:
Cisco CableCARD(tm)
Network Interface-DAVIC

Host Type: One-Way
FDC Status
Frequency: 74500 kHz
Data Rate: 1.544 Mbps
RS Corr Err: 28
RS Uncorr Err: 1

Make sure the status is Locked

Then go to the Host ID screen link

Cisco CableCARD(tm)
In order to start service for
this device please call
Ph: (855) 286-1736

CableCARD ID:0-011-430-223-690

Host ID:0-570-000-240-657

Type:One-Way Authorization Received

The phone numbers won't work, but the cableCARD ID and Host ID will be there (every host ID is unique and all Ceton devices start with 0-570-000. Make sure the words "Aurhorization Received" are there.

Now go to Media Center and tune a channel, if it comes in fine, if not doesn't matter. Go back to the Web Gui and see if you can find a tuner in use. Your WDDRM pairing should be GREEN and then look at the signal level, etc.

You might have a signal issue, remember that the cable system is running over a spectrum that is up to 1 gighz wide and that the levels and s/n are not constant over that bandwidth. If there is noise on the line or low signal level you won't get anything. If you had an installer, he should have checked this. If you never had tv service on this drop, there might be a filter in the line. There are various problems that might be present but you need to start at the basics and see where to go from there.