Hot Echos?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Motz wrote:You should only use the included power supply as a standard USB does not always provide the correct amount of power.

The adapter is:
Input: 100-24V ~50/60HZ 0.30A
Output: 5.0v = 1.8A

So 9W max via V*A = W

Under normal usage the echo uses ~5W

Processor temp rating: -20C to +105C
And there you have it..

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:03 pm

foxwood wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:I understand this but the statement was that the echo was pulling WAY more than 5 watts. My point is that the power supply would be the limiting factor in that if it puts out 10 watts.
Where I come from, twice as much counts as "way more".
Okay. I am not saying that the echo draws 10 watts, this was merely an example. Yes drawing double the power would be huge actually.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:10 pm

Motz wrote:You should only use the included power supply as a standard USB does not always provide the correct amount of power.

The adapter is:
Input: 100-24V ~50/60HZ 0.30A
Output: 5.0v = 1.8A
2A USB power adapters are easy enough to get these days, as tablets like the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire are designed to work use 1.8A if it's available.

The question is, how hot can an Echo get if it's only drawing 1amp (5 watts at 5 volts)? If it's getting significantly hotter than that, there are two questions - how much power is it drawing, and why?

mini__me

Post by mini__me » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Wow, way many more replies than I expected!

I'm using original PSU with a simple 2 pin to 3 pin adapter to enure I remain compliant with the original suggestions from the Beta around PSU outputs etc.

The case was no where near 105 Degrees C or I'd be nicely burnt now, but it was too hot to touch comfortably, guestimating a temp of 50-60 degrees c for the generic casing.

If I send a diagnostic to Centon and open a case is the temp info included?
Last edited by mini__me on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:56 pm

I still say see if you can get your hands on an IR thermometer.

Edit: I've noticed my Echos being oddly warmer than I assume they should/would be; but never uncomfortable to the touch where I couldn't hold my hand there (unless I'm misunderstanding). That's why I'm curious what your temps are. A lot of us have brought up temp concerns/questions.

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:09 pm

Anyone want to donate $16 so I can buy an infrared thermometer? ;) Mine definitely gets to the cusp of too-hot-to-touch without my usb fan.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:13 pm

I've been thinking of picking one up for cooking actually :D

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:16 am

One of my Echos has always run hotter than the others. Last night, installing tuning adapters, I touched it with my bare arm and it hurt! After I saw this post, I grabbed my IR therm and the temp was fluctuating between 109 and 109.2 degrees Fahrenheit. Seems excessive to me. I don't understand why it's just this one and not the others.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:19 am

staknhalo wrote:I've been thinking of picking one up for cooking actually :D
An echo or a thermometer?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:24 am

Lol :)

mini__me

Post by mini__me » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:14 am

Ok well I think I'll swap them around a little in the house and see if one of the others runs cooler and is therefore better suited to the bedroom behind a TV situation..

Will look into a USB fan, do you power your USB fan from the Echo (drawing more power :)) or from another source.

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:56 pm

I've done both. I really think it's more heat dissipation than production that's the issue.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:52 pm

I believe that the design allows for the units to get hot.
The smooth alloy case is the heatsink.
The CPU is spec'd to allow the temp to get quite hot.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mini__me

Post by mini__me » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:41 pm

It could be other bits of my infrastructure that don't like the heat then casuing network blips perhaps which in turn is causing the Echo to crash. Either way since our "heat wave" it's been crashing more.

As I said I'll look to swap them around, and perhaps get a little laptop fan...or wait for Android and see what that's like :D

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Linksys DMA 2100 get hotter than DMA2200. I always attributed that to the fact that 2200 has a bigger case, but, at the same time, 2200 has PSU built into the case, where 2100 uses external power brick.

My solution to the heating has been to raise the 2100 a bit, using some stick on rubber bumpers that you can get at home depot. That creates enough air space under it to generate better air circulation, so that it can cool it self.

warpster

Post by warpster » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:46 pm

If you have it sandwiched between the TV and the wall you may not have enough airflow to allow it to cool sufficiently. Try moving it out from behind the TV for awhile allowing it to breath and see if that lowers the temps.

ucfknight

Post by ucfknight » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 pm

I have my Echo sitting on top of a TV stand with nothing anywhere near it and good airflow. It gets much hotter than I would expect given the low power consumption of the unit. It is often too hot to comfortably touch after watching TV on it for an hour or two (assuming it can go that long without a random reboot or crash, which is unlikely).

I really wish they had made the unit about twice the size they did to provide beefier components and better ventilation.

cparker2k

Post by cparker2k » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:16 pm

mini__me wrote:Is anyone else having issues with their Echo overheating and crashing?

We are having a bit of a heatwave in the UK (well for us) and I've noticed over the last few days that the bedroom Echo has been locking and freezing on a more regular basis.

The Mrs was still unaware how small the Echo was and assumed that the mysterious Echo lived in the attic where the bedroom HTPC used to live, innocently she said, could it be the heat in the attic causing the crashes (it gets really hot up there when it's a little warm outside) I said no the Echo is the little box poking out the side of the TV and shouldn't be hot.....as I walked up to it casually to confirm that it wasn't hot.....it was almost too hot to touch!
Hi

You may want to check your HTPC with this heat, if its still in the loft? Also based in the UK, my extenders were suffering from picture breakup and becoming unstable but it turned out to be the HTPC which is sited in the loft, was getting really seriously hot and stepping down the CPU speed. The result was there wasn't enough umph to push the video data around. Later in the evening when the loft cooled down a bit then everything would be fine again.

Took me awhile to realise it was the issue :crazy:

Cheers