Media center extenders freezing: SOLVED!

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
epdavidson

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media center extenders freezing: SOLVED!

Post by epdavidson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:38 pm

I have been recently experiencing freezes with my media center extenders. I am using Windows 7_64 SP1 and have had no problems for years. About 2 months ago all of my extenders (I have 3, they are all affected) began freezing. The media playback or TV program just freezes, no other messages. I have to power off the extender (in some cases, unplug) and restart and all is well until the next freeze. Sometimes within an hour, sometimes the next day. I have searched the event logs and the message reads "the extender was abruptly disconnected". I can find no other events immediately before the freeze. I have completely reinstalled the whole system from scratch, formatted drive etc. and the same thing occurred. I am beginning to suspect a windows update in the last couple months may be to blame. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I hate to begin uninstalling updates 1 at a time. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Last edited by epdavidson on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:45 pm

What model extender(s) and what is your networking situation?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:16 pm

epdavidson wrote:I am beginning to suspect a windows update in the last couple months may be to blame.
You don't think that a Windows Update that millions of people applied would have been widely discussed?

Given that the error reports that your extenders were disconnected, problems on your network seem like a far more likely source of the problem.

epdavidson

Post by epdavidson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:29 pm

staknhalo wrote:What model extender(s) and what is your networking situation?
Linksys DMA 2100 and 2200, Linksys 16 port gigabit switch, Linksys WRT54G router with DDWRT firmware. Also, I have had NO other network related problems, Internet access, ROKU, VoIP, Silicon Dust HDHR etc. Speed tests are fine, network tuning on DMA extenders is fine (All green bars). As I said, this problem has only occurred in the last month or so. No changes to the network hardware have changed.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:49 pm

I would look into your network, maybe reboot some switches/router and update NIC drivers on the HTPC.

epdavidson

Post by epdavidson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:53 pm

foxwood wrote: You don't think that a Windows Update that millions of people applied would have been widely discussed?

Given that the error reports that your extenders were disconnected, problems on your network seem like a far more likely source of the problem.
I agree that "millions" have applied the updates, but seeing that the Linksys DMA2x00 extenders have been discontinued over 2 years ago, its doubtful there are millions of them out there having the same problem, so no, I don't think it would be "widely" discussed. I'm not being a smart***, I do appreciate your help. If it IS my network can you please suggest something for me to try? The main piece of hardware common to the extenders and the main PC is a Linksys 16 port gigabit switch. This unit has been service for about 1.5 years and has worked flawlessly. The extenders are not connected through the router. I have had NO network problems. Internet access, ROKU, Netflix, VoIP, etc all work fine and without any stuttering, pausing, freezing or the like. When I have 2 extenders on at the same time and a freeze occurs, both extenders freeze at the same time, according to the event log. I feel this rules out the NICs I the extenders. If its the NIC in my computer, why don't I have any other problems with it? I hate to buy another switch just to see if its to blame. Thank you for your response.

EPD

epdavidson

Post by epdavidson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Shackleford wrote:I would look into your network, maybe reboot some switches/router and update NIC drivers on the HTPC.
My router and switch have been rebooted several times. I will however check for a driver update for my NIC. Thank you!

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm

I have two linksys extenders and both have been acting up for the past few months. Sometimes it takes a couple of reboots to connect to Media Center. Two days ago both of them stopped working completely at the exact same time. Seems like something may be going on with Linksys. This thread is similar to yours.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=8&t=5176

I was able to get them working again by disconnecting the ethernet cable. After a few reboots I was able to get to the settings screen. The network settings were set to "No network". Once I changed that they both started working again. I have two xbox's and an echo and neither one of them had problems like that.

epdavidson

Post by epdavidson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:08 pm

lithium630 wrote:I have two linksys extenders and both have been acting up for the past few months. Sometimes it takes a couple of reboots to connect to Media Center. Two days ago both of them stopped working completely at the exact same time. Seems like something may be going on with Linksys. This thread is similar to yours.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=8&t=5176

I was able to get them working again by disconnecting the ethernet cable. After a few reboots I was able to get to the settings screen. The network settings were set to "No network". Once I changed that they both started working again. I have two xbox's and an echo and neither one of them had problems like that.
Yes! For the past few months! Before that they have worked flawlessly. I did have the problem many had when Linksys shut the update server down, but the 0.0.0.0 DNS server setting solved that problem. I will check the network settings. All the extenders reconnect with no problem after they restart. Thank you for your reply.

PS How do you like your Echo?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:45 pm

epdavidson wrote:The main piece of hardware common to the extenders and the main PC is a Linksys 16 port gigabit switch. This unit has been service for about 1.5 years and has worked flawlessly. The extenders are not connected through the router.
If possible, connect one of them to the router and see what happens.

The fact that only the DMAs are exhibiting symptoms doesn't rule out a networking problem, it just means that there's some traffic on your network that the netwirk chip in the DMAs reacts to, that other devices ignore.

I have a DMA2100 and a 2200, and I haven't experienced any problems (having said that, SWMBO might just have been rebooting them if they caused a problem, and not mentioned it).

epdavidson

Post by epdavidson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:16 pm

foxwood wrote: If possible, connect one of them to the router and see what happens.
Good idea! I will definitely try this. I guess what puzzles me is why this problem has only occurred in the last month or so. All network hardware and settings have be unchanged and working without a hitch...frustrating. I guess it does sound a bit paranoid to blame an update but seeing as Windows 8 does not support any extenders other than the Xbox...plus, I'm old enough to remember the old Microsoft mantra: "Windows aint done 'til Lotus dont run". Thanks for your reply!

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Hardware gets tired - just the other day Erkotz posted about having to replace Capacitors in a router (http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 585#p53585).

Though in this case the problem could be more to do with interference being picked up on one of your network cables. That shouldn't make it through your switch, but you already know that something that shouldn't be happening is happening.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:35 pm

epdavidson wrote:
lithium630 wrote:
PS How do you like your Echo?
Right now it is just okay. I haven't had the issues others are reporting. I'm really looking forward to the Android update. I shouldn't get my hopes up, but I think it could really take htpcs to the next level.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:37 pm

I've had my DMA2100 freeze up before FWIW

epdavidson

Post by epdavidson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:12 pm

I have discovered the cause of the freezing problem, with the help of rabbit1543 and robsaraceno http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=8&t=5311 It is my Daughters new Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Gallery. Accessing the gallery instantly freezes all extenders. What a relief, thanks again to all responders.

epd

PS Added another router on a separate subnet just for her phone. This completely eliminated the problem!