Win8 App - Make more remote friendly?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
ScAtMaN

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win8 App - Make more remote friendly?

Post by ScAtMaN » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:53 am

Hi Motz

Love using the app and have it on my Win 8 Tablet, Win 7 Phone and on my Win8 HTPC.

I have my Media Centre PC running win 8, so I can take advantage of the big-screen apps, and have used the workaround to enable loop back so I can run My media centre on the same pc.
My only criticism is that you cant move around the interface very well with a remote! I know the app is designed for touch screen but most can be navigated with the direction keys and ok button. Can you look into improving this for us HTPC users??

S.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:38 pm

It is touch screen, mouse, and keyboard (via tab/enter/backspace) friendly at this point. No plans currently to make remote friendly, however if you are able to map a key on your remote to "tab" you should be just fine.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Yeah, some of the functions would be hard to implement via remote anyway I think; from my time using it. Limitations of the platform - not the app itself IMO.

ScAtMaN

Post by ScAtMaN » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Like I say, most of the native metro apps and things like Netflix are perfectly navigable with the arrow keys and enter, which equal the direction arrows and ok button on a standard WMC remote.

Like you I love having the live tile on my HTPC showing the upcoming recordings etc but if you launch the app you are stuck unless you go and grab a mouse.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:39 pm

ScAtMaN wrote:most of the native metro apps and things like Netflix are perfectly navigable
Not true. You can get up to the point of selecting a movie in Netflix, but you can't play it/select the play button for the movie via keyboard alone. You need a mouse at that point.

Edit: Correction, you can via the tab button; but that's not a remote friendly solution either - seeing as native WMC remotes have no tab function. So you would still be stuck using a WMC remote.

ScAtMaN

Post by ScAtMaN » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:31 am

Sure, you cant play media and reach certain buttons without breaking into mouse mode but things like the news app and mail allow you to scroll round the various boxes and read information, that's all we would want to do in M.M.C.
As it is I have a gyration media centre remote that has a mouse mode, its just not WAF friendly when she can just use the arrows in most cases.