InfiniTV4 - Windows 8 Locks Computer Fullscreen Constantly

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
1wayjonny

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV4 - Windows 8 Locks Computer Fullscreen Constantly

Post by 1wayjonny » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Hello,

Long time user and rarely post here but my issue is driving me crazy and was looking for some help. For 2 years I have used the ifintiTV4 at home and loved the features. I switched to Windows 8 a few months ago and have had an issue that I am starting to worry about data loss because of the crash as this machine holds my RAID drives as well. (infiniTV4 does run off this RAID).

The issue is that when I sometimes I take Media Center out of full-screen so I can surf, etc. the screen goes black and locks the computer when returning back to full-screen. It never has an issue going into windows mode, only when putting it back full-screen. The screen goes black like the picture will show but it stays black and the machine is hard-locked. I can get this to replicate by taking it in and out of full screen and I would say every 10-15 times it will hard lock the machine.

I have tested it the tuner running for days fullscreen or windowed, it only happens randomly when going fullscreen. Since this is happening so much my family watches TV in window mode to avoid breaking anything. This as you know will cause burn in and not a good solution.

This sounds like it could be related to the GFX driver but I have updated many times. The only thing I have not done is change GFX cards which doesnt make sense and its a 550ti and fairly new. I have no issues like this ever on Windows 7 but Windows 8 its once of twice a day if we use fullscreen mode.

Is it Windows 8? Media Center? Nvidia Drivers? Ceton Drivers?

I have tried reformatting and can reproduce the error at will.

Thanks as I would really appreciate any help in this matter

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:57 am

This sounds like a video driver issue to me - I would update to the newest one. If that doesn't resolve, try going back to the prior stable one
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:18 pm

I ran into a similar issue with Win7 Pro 64 with certain of the "new" Nvidia drivers. I would get a BSOD with memory dump and have to restart which seemed to always relate to some activity with Media Center playing and changing window size, skipping forward or back or just for spite.

My last known good Nvidia driver is 296.10. I have had issues with everything in the new 300 series from not turning off a display to total crashes. I have also filed numerous bug reports with Nvidia but haven't made it far enough up the chain to compete with their gaming interest.

FWIW, changing the driver back to 296 or 275 also solved a BSOD issue for someone on the SD Prime forum so this is not a turner issue, but a display driver issue. The lesson I learned is to not venture into new territory with Nvidia if its working. You have to be careful since some of these 300 updates will appear in Windows Update and you have to hide them to prevent some "automatic" update and BSOD crash.

1wayjonny

Post by 1wayjonny » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:31 pm

OK I will do some more testing and update back if I find anything. I have tried so many Nvidia drivers.

Thanks for everyone's input.