Tuners Missing - Fine in Ceton Diagnostics

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
acraigl

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuners Missing - Fine in Ceton Diagnostics

Post by acraigl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:54 am

InfiniTV 6 ETH: Media center cant find any tuners (viewing or listening conflict, no available tuners) all of the sudden. The ceton diagnostics check out and claim it can tune, but not in media center.
It was working flawlessly up to this point. What should I do?

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:02 am

acraigl wrote:InfiniTV 6 ETH: Media center cant find any tuners (viewing or listening conflict, no available tuners) all of the sudden. The ceton diagnostics check out and claim it can tune, but not in media center.
I power cycled the ETH and rebooted the computer and now it's working.

This is the second time in a month i had to do that, the first failed the diagnostics however, but the power cycle fixed that as well. I chalked that on up to heat, and added an active cooler, but this failed slightly differently.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=5326

This is very frustrating. I was expecting the same reliability that I enjoyed for years with the InfiniTV 4 PCI, but starting to become very disappointed.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Have you opened a support ticket with us?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 pm

acraigl wrote:InfiniTV 6 ETH: Media center cant find any tuners (viewing or listening conflict, no available tuners) all of the sudden. The ceton diagnostics check out and claim it can tune, but not in media center.
If this should ever happen again, try stopping and restarting the ehRecvr service and see if the tuners "appear". I'm beginning to suspect some of the issues with the SD Prime might also be happening here which are network related. Unfortunately the Ceton log is a bit verbose and difficult to read to pinpoint that and you'd need to get to it before you power cycled the tuner. You might do a cut and paste into word doc next time before you restart or if the diagnostic can find the tuner run a scan and open a trouble ticket. If you can't run a scan and can cut and paste the log file you can attach that to your trouble ticket.

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:20 pm

erkotz wrote:Have you opened a support ticket with us?
No, but I did save the dignostics prior to resetting the device. I'll open one tonight.

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:19 am

acraigl wrote:
erkotz wrote:Have you opened a support ticket with us?
No, but I did save the dignostics prior to resetting the device. I'll open one tonight.
Opened the ticket a few moments ago. Let me know what you find out.

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:22 pm

acraigl wrote:
I power cycled the ETH and rebooted the computer and now it's working.

This is the second time in a month i had to do that, the first failed the diagnostics however, but the power cycle fixed that as well. I chalked that on up to heat, and added an active cooler, but this failed slightly differently.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=5326

This is very frustrating. I was expecting the same reliability that I enjoyed for years with the InfiniTV 4 PCI, but starting to become very disappointed.
This is very similar to what I had seen. Pasting here from another thread:
SoundForSound wrote:Had my first failure on the new Ceton6 ETH after about two weeks of uptime. Media center failed to tune (no signal) when the wife went to watch TV. Just power cycling the Ceton ETH made no difference, but a subsequent power cycle of the PC brought it back.

Is there a way to just "reset" the media center portion w/out rebooting? I'd like to be able to get back from the no signal citation w/out a PC reboot.

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:28 pm

JohnW248 wrote: If this should ever happen again, try stopping and restarting the ehRecvr service and see if the tuners "appear". I'm beginning to suspect some of the issues with the SD Prime might also be happening here which are network related. Unfortunately the Ceton log is a bit verbose and difficult to read to pinpoint that and you'd need to get to it before you power cycled the tuner. You might do a cut and paste into word doc next time before you restart or if the diagnostic can find the tuner run a scan and open a trouble ticket. If you can't run a scan and can cut and paste the log file you can attach that to your trouble ticket.
It happened again last night. I submitted the diagnostics to Ceton and then attempted to restart ehRecvr. It took a very long time to stop, and eventually timed out. After that I was able to restart the service, but it still did not rectify the situaltion. A power cycle the tuner, and subsequent reboot of the machine also proved useless. On a whim, I tried resetting the network from the Ceton Diagnostics tab, and that brought the tuners back in Media Center.

Again, Ceton Diagnostics said everything was fine.

Per Ceton troubleshooting, I installed updated PCI and WMC hotfixes, as well as updated network drivers. We'll see what they come back with. This is rough given that my PCI version was incredibly rock solid, I expected the same from the ETH device.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:40 pm

acraigl wrote: It happened again last night. I submitted the diagnostics to Ceton and then attempted to restart ehRecvr. It took a very long time to stop, and eventually timed out. After that I was able to restart the service, but it still did not rectify the situaltion. A power cycle the tuner, and subsequent reboot of the machine also proved useless. On a whim, I tried resetting the network from the Ceton Diagnostics tab, and that brought the tuners back in Media Center.
Ok, this is very interesting. First off, how is the computer and tuner and router connected? Are the computer & tuner on a switch or on the router? Second, any other operations going on such as malware scans or third parts AVS? These are the common network loss issues at least with the other network tuner. The first point, while "not considered important" by some at Ceton, has fixed multiple problems for people on the forum for the other tuner that suffered "disappearances". Also windows FW issues, not considered an issue by some at Ceton, have been shown to be something to troubleshoot with other network tuners, i.e. making sure the FW is ON during installs for example.

I'd start looking at network issues that might be causing the loss.

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:17 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
acraigl wrote: It happened again last night. I submitted the diagnostics to Ceton and then attempted to restart ehRecvr. It took a very long time to stop, and eventually timed out. After that I was able to restart the service, but it still did not rectify the situaltion. A power cycle the tuner, and subsequent reboot of the machine also proved useless. On a whim, I tried resetting the network from the Ceton Diagnostics tab, and that brought the tuners back in Media Center.
Ok, this is very interesting. First off, how is the computer and tuner and router connected? Are the computer & tuner on a switch or on the router? Second, any other operations going on such as malware scans or third parts AVS? These are the common network loss issues at least with the other network tuner. The first point, while "not considered important" by some at Ceton, has fixed multiple problems for people on the forum for the other tuner that suffered "disappearances". Also windows FW issues, not considered an issue by some at Ceton, have been shown to be something to troubleshoot with other network tuners, i.e. making sure the FW is ON during installs for example.

I'd start looking at network issues that might be causing the loss.
The computer and tuner are both on a switch. No know items running that could interfere with networking; all other devices in the household continued normal operations.

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:35 pm

acraigl wrote:On a whim, I tried resetting the network from the Ceton Diagnostics tab, and that brought the tuners back in Media Center.
Interesting. What exactly does this option do?

I'll have to try that next time I see an issue of Media Center failing to tune a channel even though it shows up in the diag as fine. In my case a reboot of just the Ceton ETH made no difference and I had to reboot the PC to get functionality back.

This has happened twice and typically happens after a week or two of uptime.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:42 pm

acraigl wrote:
The computer and tuner are both on a switch. No know items running that could interfere with networking; all other devices in the household continued normal operations.
Another cause would be an expired IP address lease from the router. It may be that the Ceton diagnostic searches by mac address....this would be a router issue to look at.

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:20 am

JohnW248 wrote: Another cause would be an expired IP address lease from the router. It may be that the Ceton diagnostic searches by mac address....this would be a router issue to look at.
Is it possible to give the Ceton ETH a static IP?

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 am

Ceton sent me a beta firmware that they believe will address the problem. So far so good...

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:35 am

Did they say what exactly the beta fwr fixes that they believe will help your issue?

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:51 am

SoundForSound wrote:Did they say what exactly the beta fwr fixes that they believe will help your issue?
Nothing specific. They just said, "We have an updated beta firmware for the InfiniTV which may help resolve the problem you're experiencing." The file provided was versioned as 13_5_24_142.

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Has this new fwr been working better for you or are you still seeing issues?

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:54 pm

SoundForSound wrote:Has this new fwr been working better for you or are you still seeing issues?
No issues since, but it's only been a few days. I got it before in 2 week intervals. Fingers crossed, tho.

Eckless

Post by Eckless » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:40 am

Please keep us posted - this just happened to me today. Things had been going so well!

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:33 am

No failures since getting the updated firmware...