Future recordings on specific channel

WScottCross

HTPC Specs: Show details

Future recordings on specific channel

Post by WScottCross » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:37 am

I want to set up some movies to record on a specific premium channel the next time they come up. I know I can select that channel when I set up the future recording. The problem is, I have 470 channels and the one I want to record from is the 450th one. It is EXTREMELY tedious to press the + button 450 times to select that channel for each of the 25 or so movies on my list.

I discovered a workaround that helps. I reordered the channels so that the one I want to record from is the now at channel 2. I am adding all the movies and then I will reorder the channel back to the original numbers. I found that changing the channel order also changes any future recordings associated with that channel so all my movies will still record on the 450th channel once i set it back.

Anyone know any other ways to accomplish this?

fyiman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by fyiman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:02 pm

The "Quick" answer is: use the computer keyboard to type the channel number.

The "Long" answer is ...
Here is the method from the beginning. Since you obviously have gotten to the page where you select the channel, you can start at step (10):

1) From the opening page on Windows Media Center, click "recorded tv".
2) At the top of the page, click "add recording"
3) Under "Create a custom recording with:" click "Wish List or Keyword"
4) From the list on the next page, make a selection regarding what keywords you will be specifying. Most likely "Movie Title" or "Program Title"
5) Lets say you want to record the movie: "Premium Rush". Select "Movie Title"
6) The next page will say "MOVIE TITLE" (or "PROGRAM TITLE" or whatever you selected on the previous page).
7) Type the movie title (or other keywords to specify your desired recording). In this case, type:
Premium Rush
8a) If the movie is available in the current schedule, it will show under "Select a specific movie:". you can click to senect the specific movie, or click: Record All Shows with "Premium Rush"
8b) If the movie is NOT available in the current schedule, you can click: Record Future Shows with "Premium Rush"
9) Assume the show was not currently available and you clicked "Record Future Shows with "Premium Rush".
10) On the next page, it shows the "Movie Title", and you can select "Category", "Frequency", and other parameters.
11) Move to the field for "Channel". Use Up-Down arrows or "Hover" the mouse over the "+" sign near "Channel", but do not press the space-ber key or click the "+" to change the channel setting. It will most likely be set at "Any Channel", but it might be set to another channel depending on how you got to this page.
12) On the computer keyboard, type the desired channel number and move (with arrow keys) off the "Channel" field.
13) Complete other settings as desired and then click "Record" and then "OK" on the next page.

Instead of using the computer keyboard, you could try using the remote, but that didn't work with my remote.

Also, I have found that this doesn't work if you get to the "add recording" page while you have paused a show you are currently watching, and possibly at other times. In that case, you have to close the show you are watching (and possibly close and re-open WMC), and try the "add recording" again from the beginning.