No TV Signal detected only on a couple of subscribe channels

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Comptech

HTPC Specs: Show details

No TV Signal detected only on a couple of subscribe channels

Post by Comptech » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi,
I recently switched from Cox to Verizon. Everything is working fine with the exception of a couple of TV channels. 640 Lifetime (for my Wife LOL) and 553 FX. Both channels when tuned say there is not TV signal please check with your cable company..etc... I called Verizon and the tech reset to card, resent the channel line up checked the host numbers..etc... They want me to come to the store and replace the card.... but I have my doubts... All the channels work except for these two.... (that i know of) I get both these channels on my SD box in the bedroom, so I know I am subscribed. I am going to change the card and run all of the setup paring stuff again... Has anyone seen this before?

werds

Post by werds » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Once a long long time ago I saw this - added a signal amp on the incoming line, removed or replaced splitters and it resolved the issue.

Comptech

Post by Comptech » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:36 pm

werds wrote:Once a long long time ago I saw this - added a signal amp on the incoming line, removed or replaced splitters and it resolved the issue.
Ohh I think I am still using one of Cox's spliters between my MCE PC and the cable modem....

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Since you switched to Verizon, I would guess you're on FiOS. There can be an issue with certain frequencies on FiOS that require a filter on the coax going to the tuner. Verizon installers have these and should have put one in your line. You would have to determine the actual frequency of the channels involved (not their virtual number) and then Verizon could tell you if that is the issue. I don't know if these are available at the "store" but the installers have repair guys have them. Otherwise you would have to buy one for a few bucks.

The problem always related to one or two channels, just what the frequency is, I don't recall.

Comptech

Post by Comptech » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:12 pm

JohnW248 wrote:Since you switched to Verizon, I would guess you're on FiOS. There can be an issue with certain frequencies on FiOS that require a filter on the coax going to the tuner. Verizon installers have these and should have put one in your line. You would have to determine the actual frequency of the channels involved (not their virtual number) and then Verizon could tell you if that is the issue. I don't know if these are available at the "store" but the installers have repair guys have them. Otherwise you would have to buy one for a few bucks.

The problem always related to one or two channels, just what the frequency is, I don't recall.
Thank you, So I am guessing the card is not bad... I will have them switch it out too, but ask for the filters also.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:51 pm

I agree, it sounds like you need a low-pass filter. You might not have much luck if you call and ask for one, but the techs usually have one in the truck, and they'll usually be happy enough to try it, and if it solves an easily reproducible problem, they'll leave it in place. But if you have to pay for a truck roll, it might be cheaper to just buy one (if you can find a source online - I just spent a few minutes searching and couldn't find one).

The Detailed Installation document says:

Code: Select all

MoCA adapter users may require a low pass filter to prevent interference with TV reception on some channels.  FIOS 
customers should request a low pass filter at the time of installation. 
The Verizon router uses a MOCA signal to connect any set-top boxes back to your FiOS router for guide updates, etc.

Comptech

Post by Comptech » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Every tech I have talked to have no idea what a low pass filter is... I am working on the issue... thank you for all the help... The store has no clue...

Comptech

Post by Comptech » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:25 pm

And If I dont get the Lifetime channel working my wife is going to hang me.... :lol:

Comptech

Post by Comptech » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:22 pm

Ok well the online Verizon chat people say there is no low pass filter and all should be working..... Ugg, I will try the new Cable card tonight and see what happens...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Open a support ticket with Ceton. If they can't shake a filter out of Verizon for you, they might at least be able to point you to an online source. Even if you have to pay $10-$15 for it, it's better than having to argue with Verizon support!

Just google "fios low pass filter" to see that lots of people, including Tivo users, have had to use a low pass filter. (Some Tivo users also have to use an attenuator to "damp down" the FiOS signal, because the signal generated by the Verizon ONT is too strong).

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Comptech wrote:Ok well the online Verizon chat people say there is no low pass filter and all should be working..... Ugg, I will try the new Cable card tonight and see what happens...
I wonder if they go out of their way to hire people that don't know anything. This is a common issue with their service due to the Moca and they DO KNOW ABOUT IT. Maybe the chat people don't but the installers certainly do as do the repair guys. Don't let them blame it on your equipment, the problem is theirs and they own it.

werds

Post by werds » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:01 am

JohnW248 wrote:Don't let them blame it on your equipment, the problem is theirs and they own it.
I must chime in that this in particular has been the only true downside to my adventures with Media Center. I have been forced to become more knowledgable than I thought would be needed, not just on my own system but also on wiring, signal, and about what the cable companies do as well, in the first few years it took me forever to figure stuff out and get it across to even the smart cable techs just because so few have heard of or even dealt with installs that aren't just their regular STB's. But this statement is true, throughout the earlier years quite often the stock response was that they tried to lay blame on my equipment when in the end it was almost always something out of whack on their end.

Comptech

Post by Comptech » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:38 pm

So I spent hours last night with Verizon trying to get the new cable card working... No luck.... Basically, It would not acknowledge that Verizon sent a CCV signal to the card.... They guy tried for a good hour and and half... All I could get was the local HD channels... Everything else said subscription required.. I knew I should have kept the old Cable Card as a backup... Anyway, they are sending a truck by the house, so I should be able to get another cable card and a low pass filter....

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Comptech wrote:So I spent hours last night with Verizon trying to get the new cable card working... No luck.... Basically, It would not acknowledge that Verizon sent a CCV signal to the card.... They guy tried for a good hour and and half... All I could get was the local HD channels... Everything else said subscription required.. I knew I should have kept the old Cable Card as a backup... Anyway, they are sending a truck by the house, so I should be able to get another cable card and a low pass filter....
Verizon runs into this pairing issue a lot when it is replacing cards, etc. There are lots of posts over at the SD forum on the Prime tuner with Verizon. I would guess that the tech didn't remove the host from the system and then re-install the host with the new card ID. I once had a TWC office guy remove one of my "hosts" as if it was a STB along with the cableCARD and it took 24 hours before they could input it again. They either need to do more training or have a way to get to a level 3 trouble shooting cableCARD desk.

Comptech

Post by Comptech » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Also after a while the tech did pass this on to a level 2 tech... which couldn't get it working either... When I get home today I may call and have them try it again...
So what should I tell them? And do you think it is better to deal with the online chat people or call directly..?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:03 pm

Comptech wrote:Also after a while the tech did pass this on to a level 2 tech... which couldn't get it working either... When I get home today I may call and have them try it again...
So what should I tell them? And do you think it is better to deal with the online chat people or call directly..?
You would do better on the phone. Here's a clip from part of the thread over at the SD forum

>>>>
have called/chatted with VZ FiOS CS many times to no avail.

I've told them to de-activate/re-activate and send the "reload box" command and nothing worked...

Finally, this genius CSR got it. He first asked me whether there are dashes in the IDs I provided him (CableCARD ID, HOST ID, DATA ID) and I told him yes so he did that.

After he did the "de-activate/re-activate" and sent the "reload box" command he said he might want to send a "Validate" command for the cable card.

Immediately it worked and it shows up "Card Activation success" on the LOGs screen.

I hope this will help people out there.

Here's a link to thread so you can read through all other users issues with Fios and getting cards activated.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 44&t=14018

If you get it working, then you still need the truck to get the filter so don't cancel anything. (BTW they don't know if they are successful with a card activation since there is no back communication on a cableCARD.)

Comptech

Post by Comptech » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:18 pm

Ok, so the truck tech came, switched the cable card, and boom i got TV again... but still no 640 lifetime of FX 553, so I said I need a low pass filter, he said he has never had to use on in a residential. He said mostly they use them in large installations where they don't want talking between customers... anyway installed the low pass filter and boom 640 and 553 come in instantly.... The only question I am left with now is on the Ceton Diagnostic Tool, I still get an error, number 6, CableCard has not received a Validation signal, please ask your cable company to send a CCV signal to your CableCard..... Any help on this?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Comptech wrote:Ok, so the truck tech came, switched the cable card, and boom i got TV again... but still no 640 lifetime of FX 553, so I said I need a low pass filter, he said he has never had to use on in a residential. He said mostly they use them in large installations where they don't want talking between customers... anyway installed the low pass filter and boom 640 and 553 come in instantly.... The only question I am left with now is on the Ceton Diagnostic Tool, I still get an error, number 6, CableCard has not received a Validation signal, please ask your cable company to send a CCV signal to your CableCard..... Any help on this?
I find it hard to believe he's never installed an LPF - MoCA affects many devices, and I have a friend in corporate at a large cable operator who tells me they have the same issue with many of their STBs and MoCA.

Regarding the validation, call Verizon and ask them to pair the CableCARD. If they still can't get it, open a ticket with us and we will reach out to Verizon.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Comptech

Post by Comptech » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:23 pm

What will the CCV affect if it does not get fixed?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Comptech wrote:What will the CCV affect if it does not get fixed?
You will not be able to view "High Value" (CCI > 0x00) channels if the CableCARD is not paired.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation