No Guide Data - Verizon FiOS

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
audioguy61

HTPC Specs: Show details

No Guide Data - Verizon FiOS

Post by audioguy61 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Hello All,

Just yesterday, I noticed a problem with both of my Media Centers in that both were showing "no data available" in the guide for all cable channels. Both PCs are running Win 7 64bit with Ceton Infinia4 cablecard tuners. One of PCs also has an OTA ATSC tuner and the over the air channels do have the guide information. Both PCs have their clocks synced to internet time and have active internet connections. I even went as far as to clear the tuner config on one of them and went through the entire Live TV signal set up, no difference.

I checked the website of Zap2it (the guide data provider to MS) and they do have the current listings for my cable provider (Verizon Fios Pomona). It seems to me that it must be on the Microsoft end but I haven't seen any other posts by angry people who missed out on "Mad Men" recording last night like we did. Any ideas? Anybody else have the same problem?

Thanks in Advance,
Dave

audioguy61

Post by audioguy61 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:07 pm

audioguy61 wrote: I even went as far as to clear the tuner config on one of them and went through the entire Live TV signal set up, no difference.
Spoke too soon, clearing the tuner config and going through the TV Signal setup again did the trick, I just needed to wait a little longer. Did the process on both PCs and the guide data is back. I suspect Verizon moved/added/deleted channels and the guide data seemed corrupt.

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Tue May 28, 2013 11:45 am

I've got the same issue with my HTPC. No guide data for cable channels beyond 6/06 8PM. Local data is fine. I've tried numerous manual guide data updates with no luck. I guess I'll rerun setup tonight and see if I can get it to update. It's a PITA because I have to go back and setup each channel for tuner priorities. I like to keep my HDHR Prime tuners available for other PCs so I set up each channel I record from to use the tuners from my two InfiniTV4's first.

thorhtpc

Post by thorhtpc » Tue May 28, 2013 4:41 pm

I had the same problem this weekend. My provider is also Verizon. I have a second PC that I ran the TV Tuner setup on and it got all of the guide data. When looking at the guide info I noticed the ID number had changed for my Verizon data. For some reason they changed this number which caused that guide data to stop working. I could not find a way to change the ID without running the TV Tuner setup again. PITA! Hopefully this won't happen to often.

teame06

Post by teame06 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:12 pm

I had the same problem during the weekend. I ran tv tuner setup twice and it didn't work.

I just went to the dark side and paid for schedules direct and big screen epg. I found the data was more accurate and it also has certain epg data for Verizon only channels that Microsoft epg data didn't have.

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 pm

I reran guided setup when I came home for lunch and it only found four ATSC and four cablecard tuners (I have six ATSC and eleven cablecard tuners) which I found to be strange. I reran it again with the same results so I shut it down, reseated the tuners and checked the connections, booted it up, and then got into the Ceton diagnostic to release both of my InfiniTV4's and then rediscover them. It was getting late and I had to get back to work so I re-initiated the TV signal setup and left for work. When I got home it had found all of my tuners so I proceeded with the rest of the setup. This is where it got interesting. After setting up the cablecard it listed the various providers in my area. The provider I had been using over the past couple of years (Verizon FIOS Heritage Harbor, Anne Arundel/Howard County) had changed to a different name. I selected the new provider name and completed the setup. When it finished I checked the upcoming recording list and it jumped from a total of 10 shows to 48, a lot of which were reruns I had previously deleted but there were also some summer season premieres that were not previously in the guide. The guide data now extends well past what it did previously with all of the cable channels listed.

audioguy61

Post by audioguy61 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:19 pm

teame06 wrote: I just went to the dark side and paid for schedules direct and big screen epg. I found the data was more accurate and it also has certain epg data for Verizon only channels that Microsoft epg data didn't have.
This is a great solution and one I was not aware of, thanks! Nice to know if MS stops supporting WMC schedules there is an option. I don't have a problem with paying for a good service but $13 to $15/month for Tivo was ridiculous and why I built my HTPC in the first place. $45 a year seems quite fair if it works IMO.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:36 pm

thorhtpc wrote:I had the same problem this weekend. My provider is also Verizon. I have a second PC that I ran the TV Tuner setup on and it got all of the guide data.
Yep, I had the same issue. Re-running the TV setup re-populated the guide.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Zero

Post by Zero » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:10 am

Same issue here with Verizon FiOS - no guide data. Thanks for stickying it to the top of the forum so I knew it wasn't an issue with only my Media Center PC! I'll have to give re-running TV setup a try tonight during the off-peak TV hours when no one is watching - wish I didn't have to resort to this and they can issue a fix automatically but I need it ASAP as there's almost no guide data currently for most channels.

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:44 am

Just the reason I came here. Argh.

In the "Guide / About" it claimed to have data through 6/14 but nothing was showing up in the guide.

Missed at least a week of programming thanks to this. Not happy!

knklhead

Post by knklhead » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:55 pm

I too had this issue, and thanks to the posters for helping me out! I went to Settings, TV, TV Signal, Set up TV Signal, go through prompts and it resets the guide. Be patient after doing it, since the guide takes a little while to download. Sadly this probably messes up your recordings and TV station edits.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:16 pm

Verizon FiOS here too. Guide data "Ran out" at 8 pm last night. Multiple forced updates resulted with "headend ID xxxx" errors for FiOS guide, OTA data was fine.

Running TV set up fixed it.

Would it be logical to assume that Verizon switched headend ID's, since OTA guide data was fine?

Jim Fox

Post by Jim Fox » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Verizon Fios in Florida. Both of my Media Center PCs using HD HomeRun Prime Tuners stopped updating all Guide Data except over-the-air Channels about 2 weeks ago. I'll try the "Set up TV" again since this seems to have helped others here.

Jim Fox

Post by Jim Fox » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:17 pm

OK, I tried resetting the TV Signal in "Settings as KNKLHEAD suggested above and it worked on all three of my PCs running Media Center. As he said, go to Settings, TV, TV Signal, Set up TV Signal, go through prompts and it resets the guide. I didn't loose any of my prerecorded show or my schedule of shows to be recorded. Strangely what I did lose was my personalized preference list in the Guide. I agree with earlier posts that it may have been the spelling in some folder that Verizon changed that the Media Center Guide was looking for. Redoing the settings makes you select your service provider again from a list and that seems to reestablish the link. We should all remember this procedure because we'll probably have to do this periodically. I'm sure the service providers do not check the affects of their changes on Media Center or Cable Cards. All they're interested in is their own set-top boxes.

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:18 pm

teame06 wrote:I had the same problem during the weekend. I ran tv tuner setup twice and it didn't work.

I just went to the dark side and paid for schedules direct and big screen epg. I found the data was more accurate and it also has certain epg data for Verizon only channels that Microsoft epg data didn't have.
How exactly does this work?

harveyjc2001

Post by harveyjc2001 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:51 pm

I have FIOS in the Boston area and had the same problem the other day. Re-running TV setup seems to have fixed it.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:09 pm

If you're reading this trying to figure out why your stuff hasn't recorded, can you make a note of the exact wording of your current provider in Guide settings before you run Setup again? It'd be interesting to see if there's an obvious change in the format of the name, for example.

glorp

Post by glorp » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Jim Fox wrote:OK, I tried resetting the TV Signal in "Settings as KNKLHEAD suggested above and it worked on all three of my PCs running Media Center. As he said, go to Settings, TV, TV Signal, Set up TV Signal, go through prompts and it resets the guide. I didn't loose any of my prerecorded show or my schedule of shows to be recorded. Strangely what I did lose was my personalized preference list in the Guide. I agree with earlier posts that it may have been the spelling in some folder that Verizon changed that the Media Center Guide was looking for. Redoing the settings makes you select your service provider again from a list and that seems to reestablish the link. We should all remember this procedure because we'll probably have to do this periodically. I'm sure the service providers do not check the affects of their changes on Media Center or Cable Cards. All they're interested in is their own set-top boxes.
Look in you Windows Media Center logs (the ones in Administrative tools) and see if you don't have old error messages that say something like "Invalid Headend ID" for every failed guide download. "Headend ID" is what MS calls the code that uniquely IDs a guide. WMC keeps that value after you select a guide and requests new data for guides by Headend ID when it wants to download daily updates. When a provider deletes a guide and changes to a new one for some reason, it gets "invalidated" and you start getting these error messages and it's usually time to re-run setup. If you want to know what your current headend code is and what guide(s) you're using, you can find that in Tasks>TV>Guide>About Guide Listings.

Jim Fox

Post by Jim Fox » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi GLORP, I looked in the Windows Media Center Log and saw;

+ System -Provider
[ Name] MCUpdate
- EventID 0
[ Qualifiers] 0
Level 2
Task 0
Keywords 0x80000000000000
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2013-06-04T00:32:54.000000000Z
EventRecordID 12513
Channel Media Center

When I looked in my "About Guide" listing I saw the head-end code was 189832555.
Your guess was correct. Thanks

Frumple

Post by Frumple » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:56 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this and recommending solutions. I noticed my guide data was going to run out on 6/12 or so. Verizon FIOS as well, Washington DC Metro area in VA.

Confirming re-running TV signal set up fixed the guide data for me. It took 15-30 mins to show up, and then bam, it was all there.