No Picture Audio Only

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:03 am

warpster wrote:I don't know why anyone would want to go to the trouble of collecting logs and sending them in since Ceton doesn't seem interested in fixing anything anymore! More worthless talk....more BS!
I havn't had any problems recently, but I have in the past. Ceton Support has helped me with things that weren't even their problem.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:21 am

warpster wrote:I don't know why anyone would want to go to the trouble of collecting logs and sending them in since Ceton doesn't seem interested in fixing anything anymore! More worthless talk....more BS!
I'm sure it has less to do with Ceton not wanting to fix a problem and more about reproducible scenarios in house. My experience has been very positive with Ceton support - though getting things reproduced with the right conditions was very challenging.

Is there anyone who has (or had) an actual case open with Ceton, where Ceton's reproduced and purposely not addressed the issue? If so, what is Ceton's response? It all boils down to them reproducing the issue and determing root cause - similar symptoms doesn't equal the same problem.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:25 am

This is not true. Our devs have been hard at work on Echo firmware. Major firmware changes do not lend themself to regular releases - at some point, you need to go heads down, and work until you reach milestones.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:43 am

erkotz wrote:
This is not true. Our devs have been hard at work on Echo firmware. Major firmware changes do not lend themself to regular releases - at some point, you need to go heads down, and work until you reach milestones.
Unfortunately, Ceton has taken far too long to reach the milestone and there is no hint to set expectations of paying customers. That not how you treat your customer base of a "premium" product.

The Echo was released unfinished and riddled with bugs. It should have never been released, if you take that position.

FWIW, my new Intel NUC i5 build is not to give logs to Ceton from a brand new clean build. I will provide the logs because I'm taking the high road, whereas I'm convinced Ceton is purposefully stalling. The real reason for the new build is to check out the hardware and see if its worth spending more money to replace the Echos with Intel NUCs. The Echos will then be sunk cost.

r8002007

Post by r8002007 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:19 am

I had one issue during the first month of having my Echo and it centered around my Netgear router. I received nothing but top notch support which includes a timely response, personal one-on-one troubleshooting both over the phone and via email, and a meaningful technical exchange.

My Echo has been nothing but stable, the only thing I wish it could do was handle TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio in my BluRay rips so I wouldn't have to post-process my MakeMKV files if I wanted to watch them outside my main HTPC area.

The only real fault I have found with Ceton is that they should have vetted their beta testing applicants a little more vigorously. A product that was released in the condition it was is better served by testers who understand developmental and operational testing and can provide meaningful feedback with an eye towards configuration management, and measurable and repeatable results. The, "It's AFU" crowd contributes absolutely nothing to the end product other than divert attention away from the bugs and fixes that need to be addressed.

I think Ceton has learned and hopefully will temper both expectations (let the end product speak for itself) and keep their media department from over-promising while the developers can focus on delivering a good end-product.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:50 pm

r8002007 wrote:I had one issue during the first month of having my Echo and it centered around my Netgear router. I received nothing but top notch support which includes a timely response, personal one-on-one troubleshooting both over the phone and via email, and a meaningful technical exchange.

My Echo has been nothing but stable, the only thing I wish it could do was handle TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio in my BluRay rips so I wouldn't have to post-process my MakeMKV files if I wanted to watch them outside my main HTPC area.

The only real fault I have found with Ceton is that they should have vetted their beta testing applicants a little more vigorously. A product that was released in the condition it was is better served by testers who understand developmental and operational testing and can provide meaningful feedback with an eye towards configuration management, and measurable and repeatable results. The, "It's AFU" crowd contributes absolutely nothing to the end product other than divert attention away from the bugs and fixes that need to be addressed.

I think Ceton has learned and hopefully will temper both expectations (let the end product speak for itself) and keep their media department from over-promising while the developers can focus on delivering a good end-product.
I disagree. Most beta testers gave lots of feedback. Some even re-muxed mkvs trying to find out where the dividing line was between play and doesn't play.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
r8002007 wrote:I had one issue during the first month of having my Echo and it centered around my Netgear router. I received nothing but top notch support which includes a timely response, personal one-on-one troubleshooting both over the phone and via email, and a meaningful technical exchange.

I disagree. Most beta testers gave lots of feedback. Some even re-muxed mkvs trying to find out where the dividing line was between play and doesn't play.
+1

I opened many tickets for functionality issues. Not one ticket was for a new feature. I also provided Ceton with multiple custom encodes to help troubleshoot. One main issue was the Echo did not have away to send logs for quite some time. Ceton could only troubleshoot based on descriptions in bugzilla. And some issues such has subpar menu animations is more of an expectations problem then technical.

warpster

Post by warpster » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 pm

I was trying to say that there is no reason to attempt addressing issues when they aren't putting out any new firmware because they are (supposedly) busy readying Android...

I'm glad for all that are NOT having issues, I am still having issues as I have since day one. Ceton has gone missing as far as I'm concerned, they misled me to the point I don't believe anything they say any more and I will just wait and see what the future (if it ever materializes) brings. By the way I still use the box regularly but mainly because in that room I removed my HTPC when the Echo came about and started using the extender model, if I had an XBOX that would be connected and the Echo would be collecting dust. I used to be a Ceton fan but this whole mess has soured me on them.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:21 am

warpster wrote:
I'm glad for all that are NOT having issues, I am still having issues as I have since day one.
Well, what the heck is wrong over there? If you got a dud, have it replaced. If you don't want it anymore sell it on E-bay and cut your losses. Or blow it up, just for the satisfaction.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Back on topic. My new build with the recently released Intel NUC DC53427HYE i5 which is perfectly clean still has this issue. Everything is Intel on the system, and drivers are current so it can't be the NIC or drivers.

FWIW, the active HDMI cable with Redmere technology did not make a difference either.

I run the logs tonight or tomorrow.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:42 pm

shortcut3d wrote:Back on topic. My new build with the recently released Intel NUC DC53427HYE i5 which is perfectly clean still has this issue. Everything is Intel on the system, and drivers are current so it can't be the NIC or drivers.

FWIW, the active HDMI cable with Redmere technology did not make a difference either.

I run the logs tonight or tomorrow.
Brand new clean build and you still got the same problem? Have you investigated the switch and/or the router?

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Yes. This happens on both Echo extenders. I just re-cabled everything again with commercial grade exterior shielded CAT7 cables. I've swapped 5-port unmanaged switches between a Netgear and Dlink. I just tried new active HDMI cables. I've test on all TVs we have in the home. The only constant is the Echo.

Ceton... You have two (2) sets of logs. Once for a random hang of the Echo, and another for this issue (No picture or No Audio). Each set contains the capture ID for the Ceton Echo Diagnostic Webpage and the Ceton Diagnostic Utility. I also included a screen shot of the InfiniTV6 ETH device webpage showing the channel is playing.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:32 pm

shortcut3d wrote: The only constant is the Echo.
Noticed you were having some PlayReady issues in a different thread. There might be one other "constant". When is the last time you swapped out the CableCard?

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
shortcut3d wrote: The only constant is the Echo.
Noticed you were having some PlayReady issues in a different thread. There might be one other "constant". When is the last time you swapped out the CableCard?
Yeah, yesterday evening was a nightmare with Playready issues. I eventually restarted the ETH. The CC in the Diagnostic shows all green checkboxes. Even for HBO when I test the channel.

This is the same CableCARD I've always been using. I have another one that is provisioned because I came from the SD 6CC which required 2.

Should I swap the CableCARD?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:25 pm

shortcut3d wrote:Should I swap the CableCARD?
I don't think you have anything to lose at this point. My old CableCard was giving me a bit of trouble, I had some success by unplugging then reseating, then a couple months later, it just died. Got a new one, and a spare, haven't had any problems since.

It's a shot in the dark, good luck.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
I don't think you have anything to lose at this point. My old CableCard was giving me a bit of trouble, I had some success by unplugging then reseating, then a couple months later, it just died. Got a new one, and a spare, haven't had any problems since.

How much does it cost to have an extra card just laying around?

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:29 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:

How much does it cost to have an extra card just laying around?
It's $1.10 per month for each CableCARD, but I get customer owned device credit for each CableCARD and modem I own. In the end I get a small net credit to my account each month. I just leave this billing alone, since it was manually setup after getting way over charged for Xfinity Xtreme 105.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Crash2009 wrote:

Everything is back to normal after restarting the ETH. Playready ultimately installed fine. So now I'm not going to touch it since Sunday night has a big recording schedule. Hopefully, it doesn't fail like yesterday evening.

FWIW, the no audio or no picture problem still persist. There is something with HBO / Showtime / Cinemax. These channels were the trigger for the Playready issue and now with the HTPC playing fine, the Echo still freaks out if tuning from another channel. Maybe something with the CCI flag?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:15 pm

Sammy2 wrote:How much does it cost to have an extra card just laying around?
Actually Sammy, it doesn't cost anything here. In fact they pay me $2.50 for each one. In reality, to get the credit on both, I am supposed to have both of them activated, but they havn't figured it out yet. So, for the time being, they are paying me $2.50/mo to store their CableCard over here at my house.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Update: Ceton Echo and Ceton InfiniTV support never resolved the issue.

Crash2009 was absolutely correct and the CableCARD was the issue, which was leading to Playready problems. Even after successfully getting Playready to update, I had stuttering premium content, incomplete recordings, and tuner issues. Replaced the CableCARD and everything is fine. No Picture or No Audio has been resolved.

Steps Taken to Resolve the Issue:
1) Clear Tuner Configuration in Ceton Diagnostic Utility.
2) Uninstall Ceton Diagnostic software and drivers.
3) Restart.
4) Uninstall Playready.
5) Reset DRM.
6) Shutdown.
7) Replace CableCARD.
8) Power on.
9) Install Ceton Diagnostic software and drivers.
10) Activate CableCARD.
11) Run Tuner Setup in WMC.