Upgrade to Windows 8 or not?

SJMaye

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgrade to Windows 8 or not?

Post by SJMaye » Sun May 19, 2013 8:56 am

Windows 8 has been out for a while now. I thought I would get some input. I am an avid Windows 7 user with several linksys DMA2100 extenders. Should I upgrade to Windows 8 or not? What additional features am getting?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun May 19, 2013 9:03 am

You'll get the great new feature of making your extenders door stops.

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Sun May 19, 2013 9:15 am

mdavej wrote:You'll get the great new feature of making your extenders door stops.
I have read some about that. I had hoped it was fixed by now. Is there anything in W8MC that makes a W7MC user want to upgrade?

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Sun May 19, 2013 1:01 pm

For a htpc I would stay with windows 7.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:20 pm

SJMaye wrote:Is there anything in W8MC that makes a W7MC user want to upgrade?
Aside from "New! Shiny!", no. W7 is better suited for an HTPC than W8, especially if you have legacy extenders.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun May 19, 2013 3:43 pm

The only new feature of Windows 8 that may interest HTPC users is Storage Spaces. However, there are similar alternatives that you can use with Windows 7, such as FlexRaid or Drive Bender.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun May 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Also if you use a mouse and keyboard you can take advantage of the metro apps that allow you to have things like 1080p Netflix (along with 5.1 audio in Netflix) as well as an easy way to get other official 3rd party apps like TuneIn Radio; without needing to find workarounds to get them into WMC on Win 7.

I dislike Win 8 for an HTPC mainly because I use a remote only; and in terms of WMC functionality alone it is pretty much the same. However, there are quite a few benefits to choosing Win 8 over 7 depending on what your setup is.

In your case, unless you're willing to go XBOX for extenders, Win 8 is a no-go.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Mon May 20, 2013 1:15 am

I'm very happy with Windows 8 Media Center. (especially with the new Ceton infiniTV 6 ETH) If you hate the forced Metro startup, that is being fixed in 8.1.

Windows 8.1 to bring Start Button and Boot to Desktop option back from the dead. (This should help us auto start Media Center like before)
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/22/42516 ... art-button

Scallica wrote:The only new feature of Windows 8 that may interest HTPC users is Storage Spaces. However, there are similar alternatives that you can use with Windows 7, such as FlexRaid or Drive Bender.
I've tried both of those, I settled on StableBit DrivePool. (v2 supports Windows 8) http://stablebit.com/DrivePool

The latest features he's added are outstanding. http://blog.covecube.com/category/stablebit

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon May 20, 2013 3:01 pm

JazJon wrote:I'm very happy with Windows 8 Media Center. (especially with the new Ceton infiniTV 6 ETH) If you hate the forced Metro startup, that is being fixed in 8.1.

Windows 8.1 to bring Start Button and Boot to Desktop option back from the dead. (This should help us auto start Media Center like before)
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/22/42516 ... art-button

Scallica wrote:The only new feature of Windows 8 that may interest HTPC users is Storage Spaces. However, there are similar alternatives that you can use with Windows 7, such as FlexRaid or Drive Bender.
I've tried both of those, I settled on StableBit DrivePool. (v2 supports Windows 8) http://stablebit.com/DrivePool

The latest features he's added are outstanding. http://blog.covecube.com/category/stablebit
Thanks for the info. That does sound hopeful. But it doesn't change the fact that Win 8 won't work with the OP's extenders.

And from what I've read, bringing back the start BUTTON isn't the same a bringing back the start MENU, which is what is really needed. Bringing back just the button is totally worthless without the menu structure to go with it. All they're adding is another way to show their stupid Apps screen, which is also worthless. And in terms of using the OS, the missing start menu is only the tip of the iceberg. Navigating Win 8 with a mouse is frustrating to say the least, and navigating with a remote is nearly impossible, i.e., Netflix. Win 8 simply doesn't work without a touchscreen or a lot of keyboard interaction. So while I agree Win 8 has great potential, it is not a good interface for HTPC at the moment.

MrNorth

Post by MrNorth » Tue May 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Just out of curiosity, what do you use the start menu for? I stopped using that a long time ago, now I just press windows button and search for whatever I need. In 99 out of 100 caes I find what I need.

I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker...

/S

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue May 21, 2013 2:20 pm

It is a deal breaker for me. I prefer mouse navigation to typing, so the start menu tree works best for me. I have no desire to go back to the days of DOS or run my OS like I use a browser. Win 8 is a huge leap backwards in time IMO.

While the search function is nice to have, I don't want to have to rely on it all the time. If I don't remember the name of the program or setting I'm looking for, I'll never be able to find it. I like menus. They are logically organized and can be browsed. Blind searches don't work for me. The wall of text that is the Win 8 start page (not metro, but the start apps page), is useless to me. It's like finding a needle in a haystack. A good OS gives me the option of using my system the way I want. Win 8 isn't a good OS.