Netflix is cropping to a tiny box in the upper left

mrpoopistan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix is cropping to a tiny box in the upper left

Post by mrpoopistan » Wed May 15, 2013 3:52 am

I tried to play Netflix tonight and the video is cropping into this tiny box in the upper left while the rest of the screen is white. I'm running Windows 7. I have tried running WMC on multiple machines and it does it on all of them.

WTH? I realize Netflix on 7MC seems to be required to have a glitch every three months that makes it impossible to use, but this one is pretty ridiculous. There's no way to resize the video. I tried reinstalling both Silverlight and the Netflix plugin to no effect.

Any help?

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Wed May 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Ran into that last night also did it in IE10. A reboot of the PC seemed to resolve it for me.

sdigre

Post by sdigre » Tue May 21, 2013 6:45 pm

Ran into this over the weekend as well. I believe it was related to upgrading browser to IE10. (as that was the only sys change)

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue May 21, 2013 7:24 pm

I had the same issue this weekend. Clearing out cookies fixed it for me. A simple reboot had no effect.

andrewc

Post by andrewc » Tue May 21, 2013 11:25 pm

I've been using WMC (and Netflix on WMC) for years. I am on Windows 7. This started happening yesterday. Whenever I select something to watch and press play (though the Netflix interface in media center), the screen will turn white and a very small box in the top left corner will come up and start playing the video in that box. I can't figure out how to maximize the box. Media center is maximized, because the green button, back button are still in the top left corner, and the minimize/maximize/close buttons in the right, full screen. I've opened netflix in a browser window (updated silverlight), and it works through a browser just fine. I've restarted the computer. The only thing that temporarily worked was, I logged out of netflix, closed WMC, reopened and logged back in and the first show I watched was normal full screen. But after going to live TV then back to netflix, the small window came back, and doing what I did the first time won't fix it. It's bizarre, and searching google seems to find no one else with this issue.

Also, much less important, but still an issue, we temporarily canceled out netflix account last year, and reopened it last month. But ever since, Netflix doesn't seem to be keeping track of the items we have recently watched through 7MC (or possible not working at all). Any idea how to fix "recently watched" so it keeps track of what we have watched? Thanks so much for any help.

[Moderator note: topic merged]

AtomicCEO

Post by AtomicCEO » Thu May 23, 2013 5:28 am

I've been having this over the last few days too. When it's happening, it seems to happen on anything I watch.

Relaunch of WMC didn't help. Reboot didn't help.

Closing WMC, opening IE, and deleting all my cookies, then relaunching WMC seems to have worked right this second... we'll see if it sticks.

SerialKilla

Post by SerialKilla » Sat May 25, 2013 4:05 am

Whenever I launch the Netflix app in WMC, and I start playing a show or movie... When it launches, Windows Media Player shows up in a small window, instead of in Full Screen mode.

It always used to launch in Full Screen mode, but recently started doing this.

I can't find any default settings in Media Player to make it launch natively in Full Screen mode. Any suggestions???

Anyone else had this issue?

[Moderator note: topic merged]

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat May 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Same here. Solutions posted so far haven't worked for me. Are you running MCL XL by chance?

meatball

Post by meatball » Wed May 29, 2013 1:35 am

I've been having this issue on and off as well for about 2 months. No idea what caused it, but sometimes it does it, sometimes it's fine. Sometimes simply going back the main MCE menu and back into Netflix clears it up, other times it'll do it on everything I try for 10 minutes, it makes no rhyme or reason.

Throw in today that I started getting bounced to a Netflix webpage any time I tried to play anything tonight that said, "Netflix has experienced an error" and I ended up pulling a Roku from another room and hooking it up to the TV and didn't have a single problem.

Why oh why won't MS or Netflix take ownership of the plugin and at least give it an upgrade and clean up some of the bugs?

Quatrix

Post by Quatrix » Thu May 30, 2013 6:58 pm

This happened to me a few times recently, and rebooting had temporarily fixed the problem, but not today. Now it's stuck even after rebooting twice. Although I don't use IE (version 9) at all, clearing the cookies had an effect. The first time I got a full screen/window again but the Netflix loading progress got stuck at 4%. I retried and the video was small again. I cleared the cookies again and got an error about Netflix not being available, and after retrying the video was again small. It's working fine in Firefox.

EDIT: Suddenly it's working again for no apparent reason.

freetvee.com

Post by freetvee.com » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:57 am

same problem hear randomly, no real rhyme or reason... Has anyone found a fix yet? Not sure why Netflix and Windows has to be so painful with glitches all of the time?!?

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:37 pm

This happened to me too after installing the latest windows updates which moved me to IE 10. Clearing the IE 10 cache fixed it for me.

freetvee.com

Post by freetvee.com » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:37 am

working for about a week now, with doing nothing...

Katalia

Post by Katalia » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Seems like this happens when netflix is in an outage. This happened to me last night and all the searches I did came up with mixed solutions. I think the reason for the inconsistency is people try a solution at the same time netfix gets everything up and running again. I launched the customer service chat last night after not finding any solutions and a representative there said both the audio with blank white screen and the issues with the tiny player in the corner of the screen are caused by outages. Just wish they would put a banner on the main page or something when that happens I'm sure they get flooded with calls and emails when that happens and some sort of notification to users would alleviate that.

tphillip1120

Post by tphillip1120 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:19 pm

I ran into this problem and tried numerous fixes that I found after searching the net.
I tried emptying my temporary internet files, my cookies, re-installing Silverlight,
and also entering a registry setting for silverlight. Non of them worked. Then for
some strange reason I decided to check my Media Center screen resolution. It was
set to 1980 X 1080. I then went into the Media Center TV Setup, and found that
it had somehow been reset. My guess is from some kind of Windows Uppdate.
Media Center was set to 720P uder TV Setup. After running the TV Setup within
Media Center and setting it to match my Media Center PC screen resolution, I then
tried playing a Netflix Movie from within Media Center, and what do you know
it was fixed. I have a strange feeling this will fix many other peoples issues. Who
would think that your settings would change all by themselves but then again
this is Windows were talking about. I hope this solution helps save others the several
hours I spent searching and trying different solutions to fix the Netflix playing
in a small window from within Media Center.

dlemns

Post by dlemns » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:44 am

check your addons for anything new and disable it this worked for me i had a few new extentions i dont remember downloading after disabling them and reloading netflix everything was fine hope this works for you