InfiniTV 6 ETH Upgrade Process

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by werds » Thu May 16, 2013 2:18 pm

bigcity wrote:
Well I had a good suggestion to get a second cable card and setup the ETH incase something went bad during the process. So I would intend to only install the ETH 6, but I would prefer to not have to pull out the PCIe card in order to accomplish it if I need to fall back to the existing setup.

What steps did you do, sounds like there are new drivers that need to be installed during the process, etc. I'm still a little hazy on what I need to do in WMC to unassociate the current tuners and then go back through to setup the new ones. I'm guessing I'll need to remove the PCIe 4 tuner card in order to get it to work correctly and avoid confusion?
Ok the following is based on how I assume you are going to do your setup.

1. Open up Ceton Diagnostics, go to the tab with your existing device and CLEAR TUNERS.
2. Uninstall Ceton Software
3. Shut down computer (not reboot) - In my case I removed the InfinTV4 at this step and replaced it with a clearQAM internal tuner to supplement the InfinTV6 (10 total tuners this way)
4. Make sure you connect and setup the InfinTV6
5. Turn on computer and install Ceton Software.
6. Open Ceton Diagnostics and update the firmware and driver info as necessary (either to stable branch or beta branch based on your preference)
7. In this process it asks for a reboot once or twice... after all the above is done run the TV signal setup.
8. During the TV signal setup EXCLUDE the InfiniTV4 tuners (you should be able to tell which ones they are based on their mac address being displayed as a cluster of 4)
9. After the TV setup is completed contact your cable provider to PAIR your CableCard and the InfinTV6
10. After pairing is complete you can verify that everything works fine in WMC.

Using the above steps if everything works fine you should be able to simply remove the InfiniTV4 if all works well, and if you want to go back to the InfiniTV4 then all you have to do is rerun the WMC tv setup and exclude any tuners you do NOT want.

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Fri May 17, 2013 2:41 am

When u guys moved from the ceton4 to ceton6 on the same pc, did u have to reschedule your recordings after going through the TV setup again?

My ceton6 should be here tomorrow.

Been stable for u guys who have one so far?

werds

Post by werds » Fri May 17, 2013 4:11 am

Nope, all my scheduled recordings and series were right where I left them! As for stability, I have a very small subset of information so far. Basically wife has NOT complained after one full day and the one recording that I have watched which recorded since the change looks perfectly fine... I really won't be able to tell until I run it through it's paces and we hit an evening or set of days where there is heavier recording, viewing, and streaming all done together at the same time.

bigcity

Post by bigcity » Fri May 17, 2013 4:06 pm

I picked up my cable card and tuning adapter on my way home from work last night, tuner should be waiting for me when I get home from work tonight. So possibly tomorrow afternoon I'll try to get it installed and call Brighthouse to activate.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Just on a side note when it comes to having to re-setup your recording... don't. If you are ever at the point where you need to do a fresh install or even reset WMC so losing all of your settings including recording schedule, you can back all of that information up.

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/03/backup-a ... edule.html
Here is a great guide to doing it manually which I always do because I just hate having any extra software on my HTPC that isn't necessary.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/24631/ba ... -mcbackup/
This is an app that will do it all for you automatically.

If you find yourself in a situation that your tuners aren't working and you just need to reset WMC make sure you do one of these options first so you don't lose your recordings.

bigcity

Post by bigcity » Fri May 17, 2013 4:49 pm

Awesome info! I lost all my recording schedule (100 items) last year, not sure what happened some sort of fluke and they were all gone. Always wondered how you could back it up so you didn't have to go through remembering all the items that needed rescheduled when the seasons started throughout the year.
epayson85 wrote:Just on a side note when it comes to having to re-setup your recording... don't. If you are ever at the point where you need to do a fresh install or even reset WMC so losing all of your settings including recording schedule, you can back all of that information up.

Here is a great guide to doing it manually which I always do because I just hate having any extra software on my HTPC that isn't necessary.

If you find yourself in a situation that your tuners aren't working and you just need to reset WMC make sure you do one of these options first so you don't lose your recordings.

werds

Post by werds » Fri May 17, 2013 5:42 pm

epayson85 wrote:Just on a side note when it comes to having to re-setup your recording... don't. If you are ever at the point where you need to do a fresh install or even reset WMC so losing all of your settings including recording schedule, you can back all of that information up.

I would suggest to do it manually as well. Although MCEbackup may work for som, the 2 times I used it, it failed. I ended up having to go back through manually and re-add and even DELETE some series that had been canceled. Not sure why but yep suggest manual method :)

bigcity

Post by bigcity » Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Yeah, I'm with you limit the random installs. I wish there was a way to edit your priority list without having to do it manually through the WMC interface. It's a real pain to try to move stuff up and down one at a time when you have over 100 recorded series to manage.

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Fri May 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Got the Ceton6ETH today. Setup up the Ceton6 from a pcie gen1 card was smooth. Uninstalled the Ceton sw, shutdown the sys, removed the ceton4 pcie card, reboot and install Ceton sw and followed the quick setup.

Worse part was repairing the cc with Suddenlink. What a pain. Should have taken 5 mins, but took closer to 35.

So far so good. Changed channels a bit and all seems find so far. Maybe a bit faster at changing channels, definitely not any worse.

I'll report back if I see any issues...

bigcity

Post by bigcity » Sat May 18, 2013 4:13 pm

So I uninstalled all ceton software shutdown and rebooted downloaded and installed the infinitv software from the top of the support page, but when I open media center now I do not have an Infinitv logo to select to setup the tuners like the instructions say?? Help.

ArtieMcD

Post by ArtieMcD » Sat May 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I can confirm the Bright House tuning adaptors are working here in Melbourne Fl. Got my ETH InfiniTV working perfectly relocating the cable card from my PCIe InfiniTV4... Surprisingly was able to get the pairing reassigned by the first CSR in their call center... That was a 2 hour chore last time when I had to RMA the PCIe tuner.

One issue I'm seeing... The Ceton diagnostics are reporting in the Cable Card tab shows...
Unable to provide Cable Company CableCARD pairing information at the time.

Is this a bug in the new Win 8 Ceton drivers? I'm getting this on my Surface Pro. I can't test the new drivers on my media center pc where the PCIe card is installed as cent dropped support for Win 8 32 bit... So it's stuck with the old drivers.

ArtieMcD

Post by ArtieMcD » Sat May 18, 2013 5:01 pm

bigcity wrote:So I uninstalled all ceton software shutdown and rebooted downloaded and installed the infinitv software from the top of the support page, but when I open media center now I do not have an Infinitv logo to select to setup the tuners like the instructions say?? Help.
If you have the beta firmware installed... skip that step... I had the same issue with the latest drivers not installing the MC plugin. But MC still discovered the tuners and worked fine.

bigcity

Post by bigcity » Sat May 18, 2013 5:16 pm

was able to get the standard WMC inteface to recognize the tuners, but now it appears my tuning adapter does not want to pair up correctly. Some channels are working but getting a lot of no signal available errors so far. Going to send a tech or have the advanced tech call to see if we can get it going.

bigcity

Post by bigcity » Sat May 18, 2013 5:19 pm

actually now the web interface is showing that the tuning resolver is disabled, how do you re enable it, my cisco box shows no blinking light so should be fine just doens't seem to be connecting to the computer

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Sat May 18, 2013 6:35 pm

I always pair the cable card before going through media center setup directly from the diag tool or tuner web page.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat May 18, 2013 9:39 pm

ArtieMcD wrote:I can confirm the Bright House tuning adaptors are working here in Melbourne Fl. Got my ETH InfiniTV working perfectly relocating the cable card from my PCIe InfiniTV4... Surprisingly was able to get the pairing reassigned by the first CSR in their call center... That was a 2 hour chore last time when I had to RMA the PCIe tuner.

One issue I'm seeing... The Ceton diagnostics are reporting in the Cable Card tab shows...
Unable to provide Cable Company CableCARD pairing information at the time.

Is this a bug in the new Win 8 Ceton drivers? I'm getting this on my Surface Pro. I can't test the new drivers on my media center pc where the PCIe card is installed as cent dropped support for Win 8 32 bit... So it's stuck with the old drivers.
My guess is your CableCARD has some firmware we haven't seen before. CableCARDs don't have a good way to get that info, so we screen-scrape the MMI pages for it. They likely moved things around - if you want to get a diag and open a support ticket, we can look into it.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

ArtieMcD

Post by ArtieMcD » Sun May 19, 2013 6:20 am

erkotz wrote:
ArtieMcD wrote: My guess is your CableCARD has some firmware we haven't seen before. CableCARDs don't have a good way to get that info, so we screen-scrape the MMI pages for it. They likely moved things around - if you want to get a diag and open a support ticket, we can look into it.
Yep.. looks like it.. just tested on my old win 7 box... and my old win 8 32 bit box (with the December drivers before 32 bit support was killed) using my old USB infinitv and in both cases with my second cable card it reported the same thing.

I did open a ticket reporting this issue per the suggestion of another Ceton rep. Ticket ID: KQV-606-41727

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:21 pm

erkotz wrote:if you want to get a diag and open a support ticket, we can look into it.
I'm not bothered by this issue, but I have the same symptom. I also remember answering a post where someone else had the same symptom.

I tried collecting a diag, but every time I try to save I get the error message "Unable to save results. Please try again." I'm not sure what's going on...it worked just fine a few weeks ago when I collected a diag for the issue where pixelation occurs when multiple tuners are in use, although since then I have updated to the latest beta firmware.

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Mon May 20, 2013 12:05 am

SoundForSound wrote: I'll report back if I see any issues...
Well bad news, looks like tuners1/2 died after two days. I started a separate thread with details and to see how many others are seeing this. I know I've seen several others. :(

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Mon May 20, 2013 11:20 am

JohnW248 wrote:
bigcity wrote:What is the process of moving from a current 4 tuner PCIe tuner card to the new 6 tuner ETH? Do you have to repair the card with the new tuner and call the cable company? Also can one tuning adapter support all 6 tuning channels or do you now need a second tuning adapter again.

Lastly, I have a gigabit router and the WMC PC has a gigabit card, however I only have a 100meg 24 port switch that serves up to my extenders all over the house. If I have the ETH and the WMC PC attached directly to the gigabit router and the extenders all connected to the switch will I have any speed issues or should I upgrade to a gigabit switch as well?
You do have to re-pair the cableCARD, every tuner has a unique host ID and that is the number the cable company pairs to the cableCARD. To change, first print out the Host ID screen of your current tuner and card, then when you call tell them you are MOVING the cableCARD to a NEW host and give them the old cableCARD info and the new host ID. They should be able to move them without problems. One tuning adapter will support all six streams---all Cisco TA 1520s are on FW that supports six, Moto you need to check and make sure you have the latest FW. There is no option to use two TAs, so if your cable company doesn't have the right FW and is running Moto, it will only see four tuners.

You should get a giga switch. You can get just a 5 or 8 port and daisy chain it to the router and 24 port so that the internet feeds the new switch and the computer and the tuner and a jumper connects that switch to the 24 port 10/100 switch. You don't want the tuner and the computer on the router because routers have a funny habit of snooping packets. There are lots of issues with the SD network tuner that were resolved by removing the connection of the computer and tuner from the router and putting them on a giga switch. Trendnet is one supplier that makes a giga 24 green switch that is reasonable and sometimes on sale at Newegg.

Of course you'll have to run tv set up again in Media Center since you have a new tuner, before you do that you should run the Ceton Diagnostic tool and remove tuners information and then discover tuners and then start your Media Center TV Set-up.
How do I get to the host ID screen?