This Just In! InfiniTV6 ETH Released!

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by werds » Mon May 13, 2013 6:01 pm

Are there plans to add dynamic tuner pooling to the PCE-e versions by chance? Reason I ask is because I assume that the Ethernet version runs hot like the previous tuner versions... I know with my pcie version I fixed that issue by rigging up some fans to blow across the heatshield on them. This has kept the temperatures in a decent range, without these fans though the temps jump up pretty high...
Last edited by werds on Mon May 13, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon May 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Add added some additional information and video to the OP.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon May 13, 2013 6:14 pm

werds wrote:Are there plans to add dynamic tuner pooling to the PCE-e versions by chance? Reason I ask is because I assume that the Ethernet version runs hot like the previous tuner versions... I know with my pcie version I fixed that issue by rigging up some fans to blow across the heatshield on them. This has kept the temperatures in a decent range, without these fans though the temps jump up pretty high...
Dynamic Tuner Pooling was designed for the Ethernet InfiniTV, and there are no plans at this time to develop it for PCIe or USB.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon May 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Samurai wrote:
werds wrote:
Samurai wrote:Is there Tuner pooling with the network attached version?
The product page says dynamic tuner pooling is available with beta firmware.
Ah, I didn't see that at the very bottom in gray on white... :)

Does with beta firmware mean only beta testers have it or if we buy a tuner we can sign up to use the beta firmware like with the echo?
Anyone with an InfiniTV ETH can use it - just check the "beta" box on the update tab of the Ceton Diagnostic Tool.
voltaire10 wrote:Can a tuning adapter be plugged right into the mini usb?
Yes. that is what the port is for. On InfiniTV ETH the TA is connected directly to the InfiniTV, not to a PC.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:28 pm

werds wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:
werds wrote:Honestly if I could get away with it I would sell both of my Infintv4's right now and purchase a single InfiniTV6. Because 6 is actually the amount of CC tuners I NEED in my house, and it would drop that extraneous $9.95 additional outlet fee Comcast hits me with for having the second cable card...
If I had to pay an extra $9.95/month on top of the CableCARD rental, I might be more inclined to switch.
Yea, I am extremely inclined to switch due to cost, I just want to wait out a little bit to see what word on the street from daily TGB users are about the Ethernet version... as I have enjoyed how fairly stable the pci-e versions have been for me... but I definitely am eying upgrading to the 6 before the fall holiday season hits... but after my adventures with the Silicon Dust networked tuners not giving me good recordings (and the resulting hit in WAF due to my time spent attempting to trouble shoot), I don't want to take that risk again unnecessarily...
My HD HomeRun PRIME tuners work just fine on my network. They've been running smoothly for more than a year. Unless you have a defective network switch (or one that doesn't have enough buffer memory), then running 6 or 12 streams over a gigabit network should be no problem at all.

epete

Post by epete » Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Are there any other differences between the 4 and the 6? Cost Reduced HW? Any improvements in Sensitivity / selectivity? While the InfiniTV's outperformed the ATI All In Wonders, the CableVision Cableboxes always tended to have the least amount of dropouts. I have two InfiniTV4's and just looking for a reason to get one of these. Although I would have really preferred a Ceton Q.

werds

Post by werds » Tue May 14, 2013 4:27 pm

werds wrote: Yea, I am extremely inclined to switch due to cost, I just want to wait out a little bit to see what word on the street from daily TGB users are about the Ethernet version... as I have enjoyed how fairly stable the pci-e versions have been for me... but I definitely am eying upgrading to the 6 before the fall holiday season hits... but after my adventures with the Silicon Dust networked tuners not giving me good recordings (and the resulting hit in WAF due to my time spent attempting to trouble shoot), I don't want to take that risk again unnecessarily...
Ok you got me! I held out all of one day... going to go place my order on Amazon right NOW! then when and if this is up and running well I'll sell the last InfinTV4 I have should only cost me about 60-80 to upgrade... sometimes I hate being an early adopter...or at least my wallet hates it...

jagomez

Post by jagomez » Tue May 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Is there any known issues about having 2 InfiniTV6 ETH on the same network. I would like to assign all 12 tunes to different PCs in my house. Any problem doing that?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue May 14, 2013 5:53 pm

jagomez wrote:Is there any known issues about having 2 InfiniTV6 ETH on the same network. I would like to assign all 12 tunes to different PCs in my house. Any problem doing that?
It was only released yesterday!

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue May 14, 2013 5:54 pm

jagomez wrote:Is there any known issues about having 2 InfiniTV6 ETH on the same network. I would like to assign all 12 tunes to different PCs in my house. Any problem doing that?
No known issues - I have two set up at home. Just be aware that you will need gigabit Ethernet for 2 units.

Smcpartlin

Post by Smcpartlin » Tue May 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Ok. I have a desire to buy this device. (The network 6 tuner) once I pay for my upcoming nuptials. I wish to use this to allow WMC running as VM's inside Hyper-V on Server 2012. My hunch is that I can "backup" the VM easier and no longer be hardware dependent for DRM of recorded shows.

Anyone run a setup like that?

Last WMC of mine had a hardware issue and I lost access to recordings. So I vowed never again.

I'll most likely run a separate network for the Centon device and any PC's (workstation class HP/Dell boxes) that would host VM's.

jagomez

Post by jagomez » Tue May 14, 2013 9:15 pm

erkotz wrote:
No known issues - I have two set up at home. Just be aware that you will need gigabit Ethernet for 2 units.
Thanks! This is like an early Christmas!!! Just ordered 2 thru Amazon (using the link to support TGB.tv of course!)

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 pm

By chance, can I ask how many show series you have setup? It seems (to me) that any # of tuners above 8, that scheduling a show went really slow after about the 45th show series being scheduled (especially if the show came on a bunch of times/channels during the day). For example, if I try to schedule Dr. Who with the default WMC settings, it can take up to 5 minutes to schedule. With the 8 tuners, its more like 20 seconds to schedule.

I'm trying to figure if this has to do with the number of tuners itself or the number of cable card devices connected.
erkotz wrote:

karryt

Post by karryt » Tue May 14, 2013 11:29 pm

Smcpartlin wrote:Ok. I have a desire to buy this device. (The network 6 tuner) once I pay for my upcoming nuptials. I wish to use this to allow WMC running as VM's inside Hyper-V on Server 2012. My hunch is that I can "backup" the VM easier and no longer be hardware dependent for DRM of recorded shows.

I do exactly that using Windows 8 inside of a Server 2012 Hyper-V VM using 2 and 4 tuner SD devices. I'd imagine this should work very similarly with the new Ceton one. Biggest drawback is that viewing all of your recorded content will most likely have to be done through extenders. Probably should start a separate thread if you want to discuss in more detail, but I'd be glad to help if you have any other questions.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:29 am

choliscott wrote:For example, if I try to schedule Dr. Who with the default WMC settings, it can take up to 5 minutes to schedule. With the 8 tuners, its more like 20 seconds to schedule.

I'm trying to figure if this has to do with the number of tuners itself or the number of cable card devices connected.
I'm betting you have a lot of stuff scheduled that creates conflicts, and the delay is due to WMC trying to figure out how to automatically resolve those conflicts. Obviously, more tuners means less conflicts.

werds

Post by werds » Wed May 15, 2013 2:40 am

richard1980 wrote:
choliscott wrote:For example, if I try to schedule Dr. Who with the default WMC settings, it can take up to 5 minutes to schedule. With the 8 tuners, its more like 20 seconds to schedule.

I'm betting you have a lot of stuff scheduled that creates conflicts, and the delay is due to WMC trying to figure out how to automatically resolve those conflicts. Obviously, more tuners means less conflicts.
This would agree with my experience, I currently have a mixture of 10 tuners (8 of them CC and 2 of them clearQAM), when I allowed WMC to stop recordings on time, setting a new series record was lighting fast. When I switched all series to record 5 minutes after ALL THE TIME in order to force WMC to use a different tuner to record shows that follow one another on the same channel, setting series recording became slower. I always assumed that it was shuffling the logistics of channel sources and tuner priority at that time as well.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed May 15, 2013 7:06 am

I would agree that I probably have conflicts & I would think that having more tuners would solve the issue, but when I had 10, 11 or 12 tuners, this is what I experienced:

Roughly 5 minutes to schedule a show series (after the 45 - 50th series)
If nothing was scheduled to record & I attempted to record a live show, it would take 5 to minutes to start the recording.
If I had to reboot the machine, it wouldn't automatically start to record shows scheduled shows (even at the 1/2 hr or top of hour) & if I attempted to record a live show, it would sit there & not actually start recording until anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours have passed.

Even if I set it up to start & stop at the scheduled time, it would still be slow.

I should add that when I press the record button, it would show the swirly circle

When I went back to 8 tuners:

Takes only about 30 seconds to schedule a show series
Live show recordings start after 10 to 20 seconds
If I have to reboot, scheduled shows start to record about 5 minutes or so after computer is backup (sometimes shows that were scheduled during the current half hour will start to record right away, sometimes they won't. If shows are scheduled for the next 1/2 hr, those will start to record)

Overall I would think that I would have more issues with having less tuners then with more.

richard1980 wrote:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:09 pm

karryt wrote:
Smcpartlin wrote:Ok. I have a desire to buy this device. (The network 6 tuner) once I pay for my upcoming nuptials. I wish to use this to allow WMC running as VM's inside Hyper-V on Server 2012. My hunch is that I can "backup" the VM easier and no longer be hardware dependent for DRM of recorded shows.

I do exactly that using Windows 8 inside of a Server 2012 Hyper-V VM using 2 and 4 tuner SD devices. I'd imagine this should work very similarly with the new Ceton one. Biggest drawback is that viewing all of your recorded content will most likely have to be done through extenders. Probably should start a separate thread if you want to discuss in more detail, but I'd be glad to help if you have any other questions.
Can either of you verify that you can restore your VM to a different physical server and still have access to your copy-protected content? If this is the case, then you've just given me a reason to go virtual.

wmcuser1233

Post by wmcuser1233 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:51 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
karryt wrote:

Can either of you verify that you can restore your VM to a different physical server and still have access to your copy-protected content? If this is the case, then you've just given me a reason to go virtual.
I cant verify that, but I have restored a windows 8 hyper v vm on different computers and didn't lose the activation. So I think the drm in media center wouldn't notice anything different. I could be completely wrong though.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:24 pm

wmcuser1233 wrote:I cant verify that, but I have restored a windows 8 hyper v vm on different computers and didn't lose the activation. So I think the drm in media center wouldn't notice anything different. I could be completely wrong though.
What do you mean by "lose the activation"? Are you referring to the activation and pairing of the CableCARD to your tuner? If that's what you are saying, then it has nothing to do with your restore. The CableCARD is paired to the tuner, not to the PC or the OS. You could remove the tuner from one PC and install it in another, and the CableCARD will remain paired to the tuner, and your subscriptions will remain the same.