This Just In! InfiniTV6 ETH Released!

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by foxwood » Thu May 16, 2013 3:10 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:What do you mean by "lose the activation"?
I presume he means the Windows Activation, which uses a similar hardware fingerprinting technique.

wmcuser1233

Post by wmcuser1233 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:46 pm

You got it foxwood. I guess I should have been more specific by saying windows activation.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm

OK, now I understand.

If you could restore your Media Center VM to another PC, and confirm that copy-protected recordings still work, that would be amazing news.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:03 pm

That would be nice to know. I thought that the DRM was a combination of a hash of the processor, Win Activation and a Playready number AND a physical location on the HD. That's why you can do a system image and restore since it doesn't move anything. This was a old copy count on software back in the 70s and 80s where you had limited installs and if you did a disk defrag you could lose your authorization. Systems are smarter now and don't move certain blocks, but it would be interesting to know if you could restore to another machine.

karryt

Post by karryt » Thu May 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Well, since there was interest, I did an "export-vm" of my MCE VM at home and then did an "import-vm -register" from the copy of the files on a USB hard drive on my office computer. I did not let it have access to the internet, but there were no Windows activation complaints (as noted already), but since I can only play content via extender and I don't have an Xbox at work I wasn't able to completely verify that "copy once" content could still play. Initially when trying to play a show I got the error that there was no audio device installed so I installed a virtual sound card, then I got the error that the display adapter didn't support playing copy protected content. Not sure what order MS checks things in so can't say that not getting a PlayReady error means the content is still good...unless anyone knows of a way to test that without actually playing the files (via any console utilities maybe?).

I may bring a spare Xbox in next week to test real quick if we still don't know for sure.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:51 am

karryt wrote:Well, since there was interest, I did an "export-vm" of my MCE VM at home and then did an "import-vm -register" from the copy of the files on a USB hard drive on my office computer. I did not let it have access to the internet, but there were no Windows activation complaints (as noted already), but since I can only play content via extender and I don't have an Xbox at work I wasn't able to completely verify that "copy once" content could still play. Initially when trying to play a show I got the error that there was no audio device installed so I installed a virtual sound card, then I got the error that the display adapter didn't support playing copy protected content. Not sure what order MS checks things in so can't say that not getting a PlayReady error means the content is still good...unless anyone knows of a way to test that without actually playing the files (via any console utilities maybe?).

I may bring a spare Xbox in next week to test real quick if we still don't know for sure.
That would be awesome. Thanks. If this works, it would certainly be a good reason to go through the hassle of putting a Media Center machine in a VM.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:46 pm

karryt wrote:Initially when trying to play a show I got the error that there was no audio device installed so I installed a virtual sound card, then I got the error that the display adapter didn't support playing copy protected content. Not sure what order MS checks things in so can't say that not getting a PlayReady error means the content is still good...unless anyone knows of a way to test that without actually playing the files (via any console utilities maybe?).

It will be interesting to see if it works since PlayReady is supposed to tie to the processor and the HD. You might try for fun running the DCA in Media Center (which you can't run from an extender, just from the host). A display error is in part a PlayReady error in that it won't allow protected content to play. I have been able to play copy freely and then when trying a protected content run into the display error. The only time I had to update PlayReady it appeared in the menu in TV Signal as Update PlayReady and that had to do with a problem with tuner DRM pairing in Media Center.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
karryt wrote:Initially when trying to play a show I got the error that there was no audio device installed so I installed a virtual sound card, then I got the error that the display adapter didn't support playing copy protected content. Not sure what order MS checks things in so can't say that not getting a PlayReady error means the content is still good...unless anyone knows of a way to test that without actually playing the files (via any console utilities maybe?).

It will be interesting to see if it works since PlayReady is supposed to tie to the processor and the HD. You might try for fun running the DCA in Media Center (which you can't run from an extender, just from the host). A display error is in part a PlayReady error in that it won't allow protected content to play. I have been able to play copy freely and then when trying a protected content run into the display error. The only time I had to update PlayReady it appeared in the menu in TV Signal as Update PlayReady and that had to do with a problem with tuner DRM pairing in Media Center.
From what I remember reading, the DCA won't work on a VM because it doesn't have direct access to the video card. Most people who run Media Center in a VM use the registry hack instead of DCA.

STC

Post by STC » Sat May 18, 2013 2:02 am

erkotz wrote:
jagomez wrote:Is there any known issues about having 2 InfiniTV6 ETH on the same network. I would like to assign all 12 tunes to different PCs in my house. Any problem doing that?
No known issues - I have two set up at home...
12 tuners? Wow.

Sorry for the late response to an older post erkotz (I am just plowing through the thread), but wow (again).

Wow.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

ArtieMcD

Post by ArtieMcD » Sat May 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Any plans for a Windows Phone or Windows 8 app to play content from the ETH InfiniTV? Ok ok.. An android or iOS one too?

karryt

Post by karryt » Mon May 20, 2013 8:35 pm

JohnW248 wrote:

Well, hooked up the extender today and got the Copying Prohibited error (other content played fine). I did slightly tweak the VM before so I'll try to do another export and import and double check. I started a new thread in the HTPC Components section (wasn't too sure where this topic fit really) so that we don't clutter this thread up.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=7&t=5209

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue May 21, 2013 7:55 am

Not sure if this was a mistake or not, but when I looked at the return policy for the 6 tuner on Newegg, it said it was for exchange only. Is this correct or should it be standard, like the other Ceton items for sale?

Sturmie

Post by Sturmie » Wed May 22, 2013 3:02 pm

I currently have 2 x InfiniTV4 PCIe cards (one per HTPC) and in HTPC #1, I dedicate all 4 tuners to it and in HTPC #2, I dedicate two tuners and then share out the last two tuners to two other PCs on my network (in the den and an HTPC in the bedroom). It took some troubleshooting, but I was able to get my setup working ~75% of the time...a lot of the time I find myself having to reboot HTPC #2 and my den PC in order to get live TV in the den. I've learned to live with it, but a 6 tuner dynamic pool would be killer since I don't think I ever record/watch live more than 6 shows at once :).

My question is, how well does the dynamic tuning work? Is it reliable? Since Insight flags everything except the local channels (thinking about moving to WOW because of this), I have a need to record shows on say ESPNHD in specific rooms because that's where I'll watch it later...just don't want to miss something because the dynamic tuner decided to crap out.

Thanks.