TMT 5 Set up question

Mailman74

HTPC Specs: Show details

TMT 5 Set up question

Post by Mailman74 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:23 pm

I apologize for being new to media center. I use TMT5 for viewing mkv files in media center. I bought a remote to control media center but it doesn't work well with TMT5. Is there anything that I can do to have to remote work TMT5 better. So far I have noticed trouble with ff and rew buttons

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi. Which remote is it and what actual problems are you having?
Rich

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:47 pm

I had a similar issue with certain remote commands not working in TMT5 in WMC. Strangely, the remote commands work fine when TMT5 is launched outside of WMC.

I would also suggest looking into Shark Codecs. Once the codecs are installed, you can play MKV files natively in WMC; no need for TMT5.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Mailman74

Post by Mailman74 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:41 am

Scallica wrote:I had a similar issue with certain remote commands not working in TMT5 in WMC. Strangely, the remote commands work fine when TMT5 is launched outside of WMC.

I would also suggest looking into Shark Codecs. Once the codecs are installed, you can play MKV files natively in WMC; no need for TMT5.

I was under the impression that codecs were bad.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:17 am

For the record, the only thing required to make MKV files play in WMC is an MKV splitter like Haali or Gabest. MKV is just a container, not a codec. The MKV container contains underlying audio and video streams that are already encoded with whatever codec. The codec is needed on your system to decode the underlying audio and video streams. For example, you could have an MKV file with an MPEG-2 video stream. WMC already handles MPEG-2 natively, so you don't need anything extra. But if you had an MKV file with a Quicktime stream, WMC doesn't natively handle that so you need a Quicktime codec installed.

Codecs aren't bad. Codecs are required to decode audio and video. Without codecs, you couldn't decode anything. The "bad" part is based on what codecs you are using and how you are using them. IMO, trying to use DirectShow based codecs to force WMC to play content it wasn't designed to play is a bad idea. Instead, using a stand-alone player that doesn't impact WMC and is designed to work with DirectShow based codecs natively would be the best option. If you absolutely must play the files back in WMC, I would recommend the use of Windows Media Foundation based codecs...except there are none (you can thank the codec writers for that). The absolute last resort would be the most common answer...install DirectShow codecs and try to get them working without breaking WMC.