Subscription Required when changing channels

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
JackatForum

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JackatForum » Mon May 20, 2013 9:03 pm

This all started with a ticket to ceton. We are on the 2nd InfiniTV. (3rd cablecard and 2-3rd TA I believe).

Would putting the original splitter (2 way 3.5db) do the same as an attenuator? Or does it need a load on both outputs?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:24 am

You can use the splitter as an attenuator BUT make sure the other output is terminated with a 75ohm coax resistor so you aren't opening up the system to external noise and evil spirits.

dudesky71

Post by dudesky71 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:30 pm

I am having the EXACT same issue. All my levels look good. Started happening a couple weeks ago. I'm on TWS in Columbus, OH. I have the Cisco TA and SA-MCARD. This sounds to me like the new firmware on the CC & TA may be the root issue here... I've seen lots of negative posts on updating to the latest ITV4 beta firmware. It sounds like it makes the issue worse. When is a fix coming Ceton??? GEEZ!

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:55 pm

dudesky71 wrote:I am having the EXACT same issue. All my levels look good. Started happening a couple weeks ago. I'm on TWS in Columbus, OH. I have the Cisco TA and SA-MCARD. This sounds to me like the new firmware on the CC & TA may be the root issue here... I've seen lots of negative posts on updating to the latest ITV4 beta firmware. It sounds like it makes the issue worse. When is a fix coming Ceton??? GEEZ!
What FW are you getting on your cableCARD, TA and Ceton?

Mine in Los Angeles are:
CableCARD PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601
TA: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601
Ceton 1: FW 13.5.6.132; HW 6210
Ceton 2: FW: 13.5.6.132 HW: 6832

Have another Ceton in another room with different HW

Not seeing your issue here, so it would be good to have your FW versions to see if there is a problem with some other releases.

ToddD

Post by ToddD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:49 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
dudesky71 wrote:I am having the EXACT same issue. All my levels look good. Started happening a couple weeks ago. I'm on TWS in Columbus, OH. I have the Cisco TA and SA-MCARD. This sounds to me like the new firmware on the CC & TA may be the root issue here... I've seen lots of negative posts on updating to the latest ITV4 beta firmware. It sounds like it makes the issue worse. When is a fix coming Ceton??? GEEZ!
What FW are you getting on your cableCARD, TA and Ceton?

Mine in Los Angeles are:
CableCARD PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601
TA: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601
Ceton 1: FW 13.5.6.132; HW 6210
Ceton 2: FW: 13.5.6.132 HW: 6832

Have another Ceton in another room with different HW

Not seeing your issue here, so it would be good to have your FW versions to see if there is a problem with some other releases.

I have the same exact problem as well and I'm on Brighthouse like the OP. Ceton has an open ticket on my problem.

My versions are the same as above except the Ceton FW because Ceton asked me to try out a beta version # ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_13_5_24_142.IMAGE

My Hardware version is 7359

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Have you checked your TA?

Open the diagnostic map from the Ceton Web Gui (Tuning Resolver Tab) and go to RF Statistics

CURRENT FDC
Freq: 74.500 MHz
DAVIC: Connected
Level: 3 dBmV
Seconds: 254800
Corr Bytes: 46
Uncor Blks: 177
Errs Avg/Inst: 0 / 0
Total Bytes: 2065727050
S/N: 31 dB
CURRENT QAM
Freq: 783.000 MHz
Tuning Mode: QAM-256
Level: 11 dBmV
page two:
S/N: 39 dB
Seconds: 25429
Corr Bytes: 0
Uncor Blks: 0
Errs Avg/Inst: 0 / 0
EQ Gain: 1.0
CURRENT RDC
Freq: 15.000 MHz
Power: 41 dBmV --->>make sure this doesn't get above 50 dBmv
Delay: 638 uSec
Retrans: 0 ---->>> make sure this is 0 so the TA isn't making multiple calls for channels

There are other areas to watch as well. But if you open that map in a browser window and leave it open, when you have trouble refresh it and see what the numbers are. You should print out a copy for reference.

This "might" be a problem with your cable provider or a line problem related to your node....

The more information you get, the better it can be traced.

ToddD

Post by ToddD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:09 pm

I really think all of us with Brighthouse having this are having some type of issue with either something Brighthouse is doing (I have web forum posts from someone on BH that says that he is able to call BH tech support and they can fix this for awhile) or something that Ceton is doing because I can't find anyone who has SD equipment that is having this.

I my case I'm starting to believe that I have signal problems as well. For example:
On my TA
FDC
Level -7dbmV
S/N 29 dB
RDC
Power 40dbmV
Retrans 6

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:19 pm

ToddD wrote: FDC
Level -7dbmV
S/N 29 dB
RDC
Power 40dbmV
Retrans 6
Retrans at 6 is six times you tried to tune a channel when the TA couldn't get an answer and had to resend which will result in an error in live tv and in recorded tv and error and then a good recording when MC tries another tuner and the TA gets a response in time.

Your S/N is low as well.

These are problems that only Brighthouse can address and fix and might require work on the outside line from the node to your drop--but they have people and equipment that know how to do that--all you have to do is start showing them proof that its a signal problem. BTW while a cableCARD can't be accessed by the tech, they CAN access the TA and read those settings if they know how to get into the digital control network and you provide the mac address of your unit (available on page two of the versions and macs link)

ToddD

Post by ToddD » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:16 am

So I'm hoping someone can explain this to me as I do not understand. I want to tune channel 1209
In Media Center I see this:

If I test using the Ceton Diag Program I see this:

Note that it says the program is CLEAR
If you look at the tuner in the web GUI you see this:

How can a Program that is clear and has no CP, that can be tuned by the Diag program show as sub required?

ToddD

Post by ToddD » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:21 am

JohnW248 wrote:
ToddD wrote: FDC
Level -7dbmV
S/N 29 dB
RDC
Power 40dbmV
Retrans 6
Retrans at 6 is six times you tried to tune a channel when the TA couldn't get an answer and had to resend which will result in an error in live tv and in recorded tv and error and then a good recording when MC tries another tuner and the TA gets a response in time.

Your S/N is low as well.

These are problems that only Brighthouse can address and fix and might require work on the outside line from the node to your drop--but they have people and equipment that know how to do that--all you have to do is start showing them proof that its a signal problem. BTW while a cableCARD can't be accessed by the tech, they CAN access the TA and read those settings if they know how to get into the digital control network and you provide the mac address of your unit (available on page two of the versions and macs link)
I removed the splitter in front of the TA and that raised the SN to 33 and the signal to -2. No change. Ceton has asked me to replace the TA and the Cable Card which I'll do tomorrow.

Jim_IT

Post by Jim_IT » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Todd,

That is the exact issue I posted about here. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=4999

Current TA Stats
FDC -9bBmV S/N 30dB
RDC Power: 52 dBmV Retrans: 11551

I had the TWC technicians out here for 2 hours Friday checking everything and swapping out the 8-way amp each feeding a single drop.

Jim

dudesky71

Post by dudesky71 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:55 pm

I would love to see if others can duplicate this scenario with the ITV4 on Time Warner...

Repro Steps:

1. Make sure nothing is recording
2. From the guide, tune to a non-SDV channel like any major network NBC, CBS, FOX etc... (works fine)
3. From the guide, tune to an SDV channel, in my case NICKELODEON HD (works fine)
4. From the guide, tune to another SDV channel, in my case CARTOON NETWORK HD (works fine)
5. Press the "OK" button on the remote which reverts back to the last channel watched, in my case it was NICKELODEON HD

Now you should see the "Subscription Required" blue screen

Now do this...

6. From the guide, tune to a non-SDV channel like any major network NBC, CBS, FOX etc... (works fine)
7. Press the "OK" button on the remote which reverts back to the last channel watched, in my case it was NICKELODEON HD

Now NICKELODEON HD works fine...

This proves the following...

Non-SDV to SDV tuning works fine
SDV to SDV tuning doesn't work

Hardware v6202
I was running the latest production firmware and decided to update to the latest Beta. The issue still happens.

Please try this and see what you guys get...
Thanks!

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Jim_IT wrote:Todd,

That is the exact issue I posted about here. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=4999

Current TA Stats
FDC -9bBmV S/N 30dB
RDC Power: 52 dBmV Retrans: 11551

I had the TWC technicians out here for 2 hours Friday checking everything and swapping out the 8-way amp each feeding a single drop.

Jim
Did that fix it?

I have six TAs operating (A TiVo and mix of several Ceton and SD devices) and went thru hell getting the TAs to operate here. Now everything is fine although a couple of years ago when starting down this path they had to replace everything from the local drop to the house and put in an amp.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:11 pm

dudesky71 wrote:I would love to see if others can duplicate this scenario with the ITV4 on Time Warner...

Repro Steps:

2. From the guide, tune to a non-SDV channel like any major network NBC, CBS, FOX etc... (works fine)
3. From the guide, tune to an SDV channel, in my case NICKELODEON HD (works fine)
4. From the guide, tune to another SDV channel, in my case CARTOON NETWORK HD (works fine)
5. Press the "OK" button on the remote which reverts back to the last channel watched, in my case it was NICKELODEON HD

Now do this...

6. From the guide, tune to a non-SDV channel like any major network NBC, CBS, FOX etc... (works fine)
7. Press the "OK" button on the remote which reverts back to the last channel watched, in my case it was NICKELODEON HD

Hardware v6202
I was running the latest production firmware and decided to update to the latest Beta. The issue still happens.

Thanks!
I have no problem going broadcast to SDV or SDV to broadcast or SDV to SDV. I would suspect you might have a problem with your mini carousel. Take a look at it in the diagnostic tab since that's what keeps track of what's on your node and keeps available channel data for fast tunes to what's available (with you and your neighbors) and for a non-dropped previous tune. If your node is "overloaded" with users that might be an issue....but that's something you have to bitch to TWC and get them to put another node in your neighborhood to divide up the traffic.

MINI CAROUSEL INFO
Def Freq: 555 MHz
Tvp/Tv Id: n/a
Load Time: 06/03@19:02:09
Version: 17
Size: 1664 bytes
Num Entries: 100
Cache Hits: 2
Cache Misses: 0
Cache Overrides: 0
Load Count: 11
Load Failures: 0
Last Load Err: NoErr
Err Time: n/a
Last Load Attempt:

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:19 pm

How can a Program that is clear and has no CP, that can be tuned by the Diag program show as sub required?
You have to remember that Media Center messages are generated by the "Magic 8-Ball" message generator and do not always show what the problem is. Here tuning data might have not been returned quickly enough.

When you have SDV and a TA, it takes over for the channel map in the cableCARD which means every tune requires the TA to give the tuner the frequency within the time limits of Media Center (a 21st version of "Beat the Clock"), if it fails you can get Sub Req, No Video, Tuner Not Available, or Listening or Viewing Conflict when the real reason should be time out or reply hazy try again.

Check your MIni Carousel and see if you have lots of load errors and Cache misses.

BTW to purposes of testing, you can unplug the USB from the TA and the cableCARD will operate off the downloaded non-SDV channel map it gets and that will point to the TA as an issue or something else.

Here's a typical Mini Carousel report.
MINI CAROUSEL INFO
Last Load Attempt:
06/03@19:02:09
MC DISCOVERY FILE INFO (TWC doesn't use this or the following)
Load Time: n/a
Version: n/a
Size: 0 bytes
Num Entries: 0
Service Gp: n/a
Parent Svc Gp: n/a

ToddD

Post by ToddD » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:29 pm

My Mini Carousel is good. Ceton asked me to have the Card and the TA replaced, which has now been done. I am no longer seeing SDV Error 1 's anymore. But I do still have Subscription Required quite a lot, although it is much better on this cable card.. Brighthouse will be here tomorrow to look at signal levels.

dudesky71

Post by dudesky71 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:31 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
dudesky71 wrote:I would love to see if others can duplicate this scenario with the ITV4 on Time Warner...

Repro Steps:

Now do this...

Hardware v6202

Thanks!
I have no problem going broadcast to SDV or SDV to broadcast or SDV to SDV. I would suspect you might have a problem with your mini carousel. Take a look at it in the diagnostic tab since that's what keeps track of what's on your node and keeps available channel data for fast tunes to what's available (with you and your neighbors) and for a non-dropped previous tune. If your node is "overloaded" with users that might be an issue....but that's something you have to bark to TWC and get them to put another node in your neighborhood to divide up the traffic.

MINI CAROUSEL INFO
Last Load Attempt:
heres my mini carousel... looks fine to me. now what?

MINI CAROUSEL INFO
Def Freq: 705 MHz
Load Time: 06/07@16:00:26
Version: 30
Size: 1472 bytes
Num Entries: 88
Cache Hits: 22
Cache Overrides: 2
Load Count: 211
Last Load Attempt:

Jim_IT

Post by Jim_IT » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:24 am

John,

slight improvement, but not really.

Here is my carousel info.

MINI CAROUSEL INFO
Def Freq: 699 MHz
Load Time: 06/07@19:17:56
Version: 25
Size: 832 bytes
Num Entries: 48
Cache Hits: 12
Cache Misses: 12
Cache Overrides: 1
Load Count: 100
Load Failures: 25
Last Load Err: ReadErr
Err Time: 06/07@01:07:14
Last Load Attempt:

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:40 am

Jim_IT wrote:John,

slight improvement, but not really.

Here is my carousel info.

MINI CAROUSEL INFO
Def Freq: 699 MHz
Load Time: 06/07@19:17:56
Version: 25
Size: 832 bytes
Num Entries: 48
Cache Hits: 12
Cache Misses: 12
Cache Overrides: 1
Load Count: 100
Load Failures: 25
Last Load Err: ReadErr
Err Time: 06/07@01:07:14
Last Load Attempt:
Next time you get an error, run a diagnostic scan and file a ticket with Ceton. They can pinpoint timing errors from that scan and also see USB TR communication errors that don't show up in the areas we're watching.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:44 am

dudesky71 wrote:
heres my mini carousel... looks fine to me. now what?

MINI CAROUSEL INFO
Def Freq: 705 MHz
Load Time: 06/07@16:00:26
Version: 30
Size: 1472 bytes
Num Entries: 88
Cache Hits: 22
Cache Overrides: 2
Load Count: 211
Last Load Attempt:
Run your test again and when you get the error, run a diagnostic scan for Ceton and file a ticket so they can see if there is a timing error in response from the TA to the cableCARD or if there is a communication error on the USB connection to the TR.

Here is a recommendation they just sent me and I installed the hotfix (one I hadn't already done) which relates to usb communications. I had already been running the power recommendations for some time.

1. Upgrade your USB drivers to the latest Microsoft Windows 7 RTM/SP1 hotfix. The link below discusses a specific scenario, but it contains other fixes as well:

KB Article Number(s): 2798670
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2798670

2. Change your Power Options by following the instructions below:

-- Open the Control Panel, navigate to the Power Options icon, and double click it.
-- From the Power Options dialog box choose "Change Plan Settings" from the current selected power plan.
-- Click the "Change Advanced Power Settings" link
-- Scroll to "USB settings" and choose "USB selective suspend settings"; set "Plugged in" to Disabled.
Note: Laptops should change only the "Plugged in:" section
-- Save and reboot the computer.