Guide not loading info for all channels

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
th3Pil0t

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide not loading info for all channels

Post by th3Pil0t » Mon May 06, 2013 7:04 pm

When I open the TV guide on MMC on my phone (motorola Razr Maxx) or Nexus 7, not all channel info is displayed straight away. The ones that don't load, still have the line as a placeholder and the channel number and logo on the left, but no guide data. If I scroll slightly and force a refresh, some of the missing ones load, but not necessarily all of them. I am forced to do a number of small scrolls over and over until I get all the channels data loaded. The next time I open the guide, I have the same issue again. HBOHD2 often doesn't load, but it doesn't seem to always be the same channels... Is anyone else seeing this? It's very frustrating and makes the guide very hard to use.

I have been seeing this since I installed the app back when it was 'Companion', it just hasn't annoyed me enough (I don't use guide that much) to complain about it until now...

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed May 08, 2013 12:28 am

Can you go into "channels" and then from the menu hit sync channels and let me know if going back to the guide cleans it up.

How are your channels setup? are you merging channels or doing anything non standard?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Wed May 08, 2013 1:06 am

Motz wrote:Can you go into "channels" and then from the menu hit sync channels and let me know if going back to the guide cleans it up.

How are your channels setup? are you merging channels or doing anything non standard?
OK. I did that, and no noticeable change. I still need to do the partial scroll to get all channels to load. How do I share pic here? I have a screen capture to show you what I mean...

Edit: My channels are setup per WMC defaults. Nothing special as far as I know. It's Comcast Houston Digital.

Edit 2: Screen capture

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 am

Michael lives over there in houston so I will have him test it out. If you want you can PM me your information to remote debug it. I would need the external IP/Port and password if set.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Wed May 08, 2013 12:42 pm

Motz wrote:Michael lives over there in houston so I will have him test it out. If you want you can PM me your information to remote debug it. I would need the external IP/Port and password if set.
Thanks, I will take you up on this when I get a chance. We are moving house in the next week, so it's crazy right now.

It's just weird that the data is there in WMC, but isn't immediately shown in MMC.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Wed May 08, 2013 12:54 pm

I had this issue at one point but it seems fine now. I don't know if it fixed itself or if I reinstalled the app to fix it.

xclratn

Post by xclratn » Sun May 19, 2013 4:51 am

Any update on this issue? I have an iPhone 4S doing the exact same thing. Guide will not load all channels.

JLDINBAMA

Post by JLDINBAMA » Mon May 20, 2013 2:01 am

I'm having the same problem on a Nexus 7. I recently got the app, and it's done this no matter what I've tried to fix it. I heard great things about your app, but unfortunately this has kind of marred the experience for me.

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon May 20, 2013 4:30 am

I am unable to reproduce it here. If anyone is able to PM me their details for remote access ip/port/password I can test it out if you let me know what channels are not loading and I will look into it.

Also a question is if you click on the channel does that information load for that specific channel?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

JLDINBAMA

Post by JLDINBAMA » Tue May 21, 2013 8:51 pm

I sent a PM with the info.

The app seems to work perfectly, clicking on a channel or a show seems to work, it just doesn't load the shows in the guide (as in the picture above).

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Got your PM. Thanks for he info. I am out of the office today but will look at it tomorrow. Probably an easy fix if I can reproduce it.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Wed May 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Motz wrote:Got your PM. Thanks for he info. I am out of the office today but will look at it tomorrow. Probably an easy fix if I can reproduce it.
Keep us posted! This would increase usability a lot for me and help with WAF! :thumbup:

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed May 22, 2013 5:04 pm

So I wasn't able to reproduce it on JLDs but I will keep trying as it does appear to be random.

I have some new "guide" logic that I am using in some other apps so I might push that over to the beta channel for version 1.3.4 to see if that makes a difference.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Wed May 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Motz wrote:So I wasn't able to reproduce it on JLDs but I will keep trying as it does appear to be random.

I have some new "guide" logic that I am using in some other apps so I might push that over to the beta channel for version 1.3.4 to see if that makes a difference.
I just joined the Beta program so I will keep an eye on the issue and let you know if I see any improvements...

JLDINBAMA

Post by JLDINBAMA » Wed May 22, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm still seeing this bug consistently, fyi.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 pm

I pushed out a new beta version 1.3.4 which should be available in about an hour or so with the new logic in it. let me know if you see enhancements or not.
Thanks
I Write, Code, and Tweet

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Fri May 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Motz wrote:I pushed out a new beta version 1.3.4 which should be available in about an hour or so with the new logic in it. let me know if you see enhancements or not.
Thanks
OK, I'm on 1.3.4 and am consistently seeing 461, 463, 464, 465 (all HBO channels on Houston Comcast) all fail to load guide data without having to scroll and force refresh.

Edit: it's the same set of channels I captured in the pic above.

JLDINBAMA

Post by JLDINBAMA » Fri May 24, 2013 8:40 pm

All right, I got my guide working. I loaded the beta version of the app, and that only slightly reduced the problem, if anything. I live in a Comcast area that is transitioning to the national standardized channels, so I not only have HD and non-HD channels, but I also have multiple copies of the channels with different numbers. I went into WMC, and disabled channels until I only had one version of each channel (preferring HD channels). This reduced my channels from about 500 down to something like 150. With a reduced number of channels, the guide is loading properly.

Much like pilot, channels a few hundred down had sets that consistently wouldn't load, and now I don't have any issues. So, the problem is likely at least related to the number of channels having to be loaded by the guide.

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Wed May 29, 2013 12:12 pm

JLDINBAMA wrote:All right, I got my guide working. I loaded the beta version of the app, and that only slightly reduced the problem, if anything. I live in a Comcast area that is transitioning to the national standardized channels, so I not only have HD and non-HD channels, but I also have multiple copies of the channels with different numbers. I went into WMC, and disabled channels until I only had one version of each channel (preferring HD channels). This reduced my channels from about 500 down to something like 150. With a reduced number of channels, the guide is loading properly.

Much like pilot, channels a few hundred down had sets that consistently wouldn't load, and now I don't have any issues. So, the problem is likely at least related to the number of channels having to be loaded by the guide.
Good to hear there might be a workaround. I'll test it out when I get a chance to confirm it solves the issue for me...

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed May 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Pushing a new new beta 1.3.5 out to the beta channel, I believe this fixes up the issue and has lots of guide optimizations as well.
I Write, Code, and Tweet