Random Subscription Required messages

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
phillyninja

HTPC Specs: Show details

Random Subscription Required messages

Post by phillyninja » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 pm

I was one of the early adopters of an PCIE InfiniTV and have been using it with no issues for several years. Some problems started developing a couple weeks ago and I have not been able to track down the cause of the issue.

My current issue is when I try to record multiple shows I will get a no TV signal message on the pc taskbar and in the current media center session. Also in the media center session I will lose picture and get a subscription required message.

I also seem to get the Subscription required issue randomly when using a single tuner. Having the cable company (Comcast) send a reset signal seems to temporarily resolve the issue but it will resurface again.

I have installed the latest beta firmware and driver updates. Ceton sent me their likely canned response of installing hotfixes and sending diagnostics and after I performed those steps they have disappeared and stopped responding to emails.

I tried swapping in a new cablecard and that did not resolve the issue, so I am starting to suspect that my InfiniTV is biting the dust.

Update: edited post subject to be more specific to issue
Last edited by phillyninja on Wed May 01, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:29 pm

phillyninja wrote:I tried swapping in a new cablecard and that did not resolve the issue, so I am starting to suspect that my InfiniTV is biting the dust.
It's possible that the signal arriving at your house has been degraded due to weather or squirel damage, or corrosion.

You can get the Ceton card to report on the signal levels it is receiving - that might give you some indication of whether you need Comcast to come out and improve your signal.
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... spx#555792

here's a post on the Ceton site explaining what sort of Signal values you should look for:
http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/index. ... -explained

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Please PM me your ticket # - you should not have gone days without a response. I want to follow up on your ticket.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

phillyninja

Post by phillyninja » Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 pm

foxwood wrote:
phillyninja wrote:I tried swapping in a new cablecard and that did not resolve the issue, so I am starting to suspect that my InfiniTV is biting the dust.
It's possible that the signal arriving at your house has been degraded due to weather or squirel damage, or corrosion.

You can get the Ceton card to report on the signal levels it is receiving - that might give you some indication of whether you need Comcast to come out and improve your signal.
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... spx#555792

here's a post on the Ceton site explaining what sort of Signal values you should look for:
http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/index. ... -explained
Signal levels are averaging -3db and 36 SNR so I think that is in the acceptable signal range

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Fri May 03, 2013 5:41 pm

I am also getting this issue. Someone over on AVS forum suggested it was an issue with bad cable card. I'm not convinced though. I will be interested to hear if you narrow it down. As it's an intermittent error, it's almost impossible for me to nail down...

Edit: I am Comcast in Houston.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:15 pm

I tried swapping in a new cablecard and that did not resolve the issue, so I am starting to suspect that my InfiniTV is biting the dust.
What cable system are you on, type of headend and do you have SDV?

I have run into this issue with Cisco equipment on TWC with SDV (although SDV has nothing to do with the issue). Your problem may be different but I found I could see an error with the cableCARD copy protection when the subscription required screen appeared. In my case the screen with freeze, then the sub req will appear and then the picture will resume all in about 30 - 40 seconds. I know TWC and Cisco are aware of the issue and have been for over a year but haven't been able to solve the problem as yet. You can check to see if you are getting a CP error by going to the Ceton Web Gui and IF you have a Cisco card click on the cableCARD tab and then right click on CableCARD CP Info and then page two, you'll see:

Cisco CableCARD(tm)
Copy Protection Info Page 2

Refresh Status: OK
Refresh count: 1654 --->>the card gets a CP refresh about every 10 minutes
N_Host timeouts: 0
Sync Cnf timeouts: 5 --->> each number here is one instance of a sub required error.
CP-CA Control bits: 0x00

phillyninja

Post by phillyninja » Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 am

JohnW248 wrote:
What cable system are you on, type of headend and do you have SDV?

I have run into this issue with Cisco equipment on TWC with SDV (although SDV has nothing to do with the issue). Your problem may be different but I found I could see an error with the cableCARD copy protection when the subscription required screen appeared. In my case the screen with freeze, then the sub req will appear and then the picture will resume all in about 30 - 40 seconds. I know TWC and Cisco are aware of the issue and have been for over a year but haven't been able to solve the problem as yet. You can check to see if you are getting a CP error by going to the Ceton Web Gui and IF you have a Cisco card click on the cableCARD tab and then right click on CableCARD CP Info and then page two, you'll see:

Cisco CableCARD(tm)
Copy Protection Info Page 2

Refresh Status: OK
Refresh count: 1654 --->>the card gets a CP refresh about every 10 minutes
N_Host timeouts: 0
Sync Cnf timeouts: 5 --->> each number here is one instance of a sub required error.
CP-CA Control bits: 0x00
My cable provider is Comcast in Southern NJ area. No tuning adapter and as far as I know Comcast does not use them.

phillyninja

Post by phillyninja » Tue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm

I am not sure what changed, but I was away for a few days and tried to reproduce this issue last night and was not able to. So at the moment things are working again.

I am not sure if Comcast changed something on their end or if my tuner card needed a vacation as well.

Larry_Stewart

Post by Larry_Stewart » Fri May 17, 2013 12:03 am

I bought one of the very first InfiniTV 4s. That card bit the dust hard about 2 months ago. My 2nd card (purchased about a year ago) started giving the Sub required messages frequently and I had several channels that would break up or show a lot of pixelization. I had a spare card (bought during one of the sales) and had it in as my second card but it didn't get hit very often since it would require 5 channels in use. On a hunch, I took out my year old card and ran with just the newest card. Lo and behold, all of the problems I have been having with the picture went away.

The moral of this story (at least for me) is yes, the cards do wear out. :cry: