Where did the Ceton Media Center Add-in go?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
CFC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Where did the Ceton Media Center Add-in go?

Post by CFC » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Hey guys,

It seems like after updating to the latest beta firmware, I no longer have the Ceton add-in.
I like to use it to check on my uptime, signal levels, etc...
Am I crazy, or did it just disappear?

Thanks,
CFC

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:04 pm

I have latest drivers and fw for release with mine and it isn't there for me either.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 pm

It was removed in the latest beta driver package. Idk if they plan on adding something new or are just plain removing it permanently.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Does a tuner really need to be checked on? It should just work transparently; maybe that's the point of removing it.

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:19 pm

mcewinter wrote:Does a tuner really need to be checked on? It should just work transparently; maybe that's the point of removing it.
That may well be true, but without it in MCE there is no way to query any aspect of the Ceton from an extender.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:32 pm

jaimeknapp wrote:
mcewinter wrote:Does a tuner really need to be checked on? It should just work transparently; maybe that's the point of removing it.
That may well be true, but without it in MCE there is no way to query any aspect of the Ceton from an extender.
Huh? I'm a Prime owner so pardon my ignorance but can you watch and record TV without the app from an extender or otherwise?

CFC

Post by CFC » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 pm

No, it doesn't "need" to be checked on, but it was a good quick way to troubleshoot issues that pop up ever so often. Check if the card reset, if signal levels are funky.
Removing it doesn't affect the tuner in any kind of way.
Thanks to you guys for confirming that it has indeed been removed.

CFC

CFC

Post by CFC » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:45 pm

mcewinter wrote:
jaimeknapp wrote:
Huh? I'm a Prime owner so pardon my ignorance but can you watch and record TV without the app from an extender or otherwise?
Yes. It works fine.
Seeing as you're a Prime owner, I guess you shouldn't care about this.

Thanks,
CFC

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Perhaps I or others might purchase one in the future, so I don't feel my question was invalid. I knew Ceton had MC "features" (if you will) but I never made my self aware of the functionality.

Your welcome

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:21 pm

The WMC add-in has been deprecated - this is mentioned in the release notes.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

CFC

Post by CFC » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:33 pm

mcewinter wrote:Perhaps I or others might purchase one in the future, so I don't feel my question was invalid. I knew Ceton had MC "features" (if you will) but I never made my self aware of the functionality.

Your welcome
Misunderstood your question.
The Ceton MC Addin is (or rather, was) a good way to check up on the state of your tuners.
It was particularly handy when I was setting up my PC since the cards are known to be pretty finicky with high temperatures. It was a good 10' interface to keep track of improvements. All in all, it's pretty cool.
However it doesn't affect functionality at all on either the host PC or the extenders.

Thanks,
CFC

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 pm

erkotz wrote:The WMC add-in has been deprecated - this is mentioned in the release notes.
erkotz,
I knew they removed it for whatever reason. However I would like to add that I do miss the ability to check the tuners in MC as well. I don't use it all the time but If I am troubleshooting an issue it was handy to have the ability available within MC. Would it be possible to pass on to the team that it would be nice to have the option to enable or disable this in the MC menu and bring this option back? I think some of the infiniTV users may miss this. Maybe a poll on TGB here would be a good place to start?
newfiend~

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:46 am

I'm glad it's going away. No matter how many times I unchecked it, it always came back on my dma2200 extenders.

bobr31

Post by bobr31 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:15 am

Prior to the introduction of the Ceton Add-in, I started using (and still use) a third party party plugin, the Digital Media Zone InfiniTV Status Media Center Plugin to get basic comparative tuner info. When loaded, it appers in "Extras" and can be accessed from an extender as well as from the PC. It doesn't have all of the detailed Dx info of the Ceton Add-in, but does provide info for all 4 tuners on one screen for comparison purposes. Info provided - Playback/Channel/Temperature/Signal Strenght/Protectioin. Allows for a quick check on tuner temp/performance/status.

Here's the link:
[url]http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2011/02/ ... lugin/[url]

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:00 am

That's the funniest thing I've read all day! Thanks!
mcewinter wrote:Huh? I'm a Prime owner so pardon my ignorance but can you watch and record TV without the app from an extender or otherwise?
Oh... now I understand... you have a tuner that actually works without any problems. I understand. I'm a Prime user too. Actually, I'm a convert. I used to have an InfiniTV, but then I found the unicorn of CableCARD tuners... that magical beast that just works.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:35 pm

CFC wrote:
mcewinter wrote:The Ceton MC Addin is (or rather, was) a good way to check up on the state of your tuners.
It was particularly handy when I was setting up my PC since the cards are known to be pretty finicky with high temperatures. It was a good 10' interface to keep track of improvements.
That's exactly what I use it for too. My card works perfectly, but I do like to check on the temperature once in a while. Too bad they're removing it, it was a nice feature.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:39 pm

As eric said we deprecated the plug in for multiple reasons, however if there is a demand perhaps we re-evaluate it and put it out in a separate install.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Well I'm glad to find out its not just me! I've been trying to figure out where that thing went for a couple of weeks now. I do really miss this because it was easy for me to check the temp of the card without having to get up. I have a slot fan that blows on the card to keep it cool, and the previous one didnt last very long and the temp went way up, so the plug in was good to use. I hope it comes back.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Motz wrote:As eric said we deprecated the plug in for multiple reasons, however if there is a demand perhaps we re-evaluate it and put it out in a separate install.
Multiple users for multiple reasons would like to have it back. If it can be had as a stand-alone plug-in that would work just fine for most of us.

John

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:03 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
Motz wrote:As eric said we deprecated the plug in for multiple reasons, however if there is a demand perhaps we re-evaluate it and put it out in a separate install.
Multiple users for multiple reasons would like to have it back. If it can be had as a stand-alone plug-in that would work just fine for most of us.

John
+1