NBC blocks recordings again

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by foxwood » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:57 pm

dudesky71 wrote:Ok after thinking about some previous posts where someone says their TWC DVR works but MCE doesn't I have some questions...
The TWC DVR's are Cisco and guess what? They have an "M" card inside them. If this problem is specific to CableCARDS, how is it possible the TWC DVR's work but MCE doesnt? So here are the facts...
Blah, blah, blah.

The FACTS are:

1) this is a CGMS-A flag. That A stands for Analog, and it's not a CCI flag, so it's got nothing to do with the Cable Card being used. It's Media Center that's blocking the copy, not the cable card.

2) the CableCos own boxes are not REQUIRED to observe the copy restrictions in these flags, so they don't.

3) the problem is restricted to a single channel on a single CableCo in a single market. It's a local screwup. The only problem is getting someone at that CableCo to admit that there's a problem, and then getting them to fix it.

dudesky71

Post by dudesky71 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:44 pm

I agree 100% but just because MCE complies with CGMS-A doesn't mean that when I'm tuning a digital channel on a digital tuner and watching digital content over HDMI with HDCP that I should be smacked down for an "Analog" flag. The system should be smart enough to know this. This is STUPID!!!This is why MCE has failed in the industry because ALL the bases are not covered and there are still holes that need plugged. It's probably a simple honest mistake by TWCs engineer.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:44 pm

dudesky71 wrote:Ok after thinking about some previous posts where someone says their TWC DVR works but MCE doesn't I have some questions...
The TWC DVR's are Cisco and guess what? They have an "M" card inside them. If this problem is specific to CableCARDS, how is it possible the TWC DVR's work but MCE doesnt? So here are the facts...

<snip>

Thoughts everyone?
Obviously, you didn't read this post, which says:
richard1980 wrote:Per the CableLabs specification, cable boxes that are not sold to end users (e.g., cable boxes that belong to the cable company) are not required to honor any copy protection flags. However, any CableLabs certified device that is sold to an end user must comply with the copy protection flags it receives. So your assumption that because the Insight DVR recorded the program, the flag was not set by NBC or WCMH is not correct. NBC, WCMH, or Insight could have set the flag, and more than likely your cable box would just ignore it, while WMC would be forced to honor the flag.
Richard is a very knowledgeable guy, and I would believe him when he quotes CableLabs specifications and FCC rules/regulations.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:48 pm

dudesky71 wrote:I agree 100% but just because MCE complies with CGMS-A doesn't mean that when I'm tuning a digital channel on a digital tuner and watching digital content over HDMI with HDCP that I should be smacked down for an "Analog" flag. The system should be smart enough to know this. This is STUPID!!!This is why MCE has failed in the industry because ALL the bases are not covered and there are still holes that need plugged. It's probably a simple honest mistake by TWCs engineer.
Media Center and other consumer-available DVR's must comply with the analog flags. The reason the cable company's DVR doesn't comply is because it is not a consumer-available device, which means that there is no way that you can pirate stuff that is recorded on the DVR's hard drive (except by using the "analog hole") because the cable company is in complete control of that device.

dudesky71

Post by dudesky71 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Again, I don't disagree. If I call TWC and ask to speak to the programming engineer to tell him to fix the CGMS-A flag on NBC. They are going to say "What? We need to do what?" and it will fall into a black hole. I've seen it a million times in the ATI days. Maybe I'll drive over there and stand on the sidewalk with a picket sign telling them to fix their CGMS-A flag... LOL!

dudesky71

Post by dudesky71 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:47 pm

I just called Tier 3 TWC support. Explained the issue in detail and got a ticket opened for the whole Columbus area. Let's see what happens...

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Still missing why you wouldn't start with one of the local station engineers and go from there, that's what Eric is doing I believe. They have pull with TWC to get it fixed assuming they're not inadvertantly putting the flag in when it's sent from the station.

And your local cable franchise authority has higher-level cable contacts, assuming you can get them to understand the problem.

prijo

Post by prijo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:11 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:... assuming you can get them to understand the problem.
Lol this is twc we are talking about, right? Short of throwing a complete tantrum over the phone....

bradt5085

Post by bradt5085 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:28 am

I'm having this issue too. Columbus Oh, TWC. Ceton infiniTV.

Filed a complaint with the FCC yesterday... we'll see where THAT goes...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:52 am

bradt5085 wrote:Filed a complaint with the FCC yesterday... we'll see where THAT goes...
Have you called WCMH and told their engineers that TWC are screwing with their channel?

This is the contact form for their broadcast engineers. The broadcast signal isn't the problem, but the people in that group are the ones who will care that this issue is fixed!

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/20754854/bro ... nal-issues

bradt5085

Post by bradt5085 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:58 am

Just received this from ceton support:

Hi,

We want to apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you. We are working with WCMH (The Columbus NBC affiliate) to identify the cause of this issue. As soon as we have more information we will let you know.

Thank you,
Ceton Support

prijo

Post by prijo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:03 am

Grimm is recording as I type, thank you ceton. Good to see a company that still thinks their customers are important.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:08 am

Questions remain:

* what did Ceton and WCMH engineers have to do to resolve this?

* how could the TW boxes possibly record this, when the industry standard technology does what it's told to do and rejects it?

* can we find any AT&T U-Verse customers in the area who can speak to their experience with this?

prijo

Post by prijo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:31 am

adam1991 wrote:Questions remain:
* how could the TW boxes possibly record this, when the industry standard technology does what it's told to do and rejects it?
Since the twc DVR is rented, twc is under no obligation to honor the copy never flag.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:35 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Richard is a very knowledgeable guy, and I would believe him when he quotes CableLabs specifications and FCC rules/regulations.
While I don't disagree with being knowledgeable, the specific points I made were originally brought to my attention by erkotz.
adam1991 wrote:* how could the TW boxes possibly record this, when the industry standard technology does what it's told to do and rejects it?
The "industry standard" involves the use of boxes that are owned by a cable company, which (as I previously pointed out) are not required by CableLabs specifications to adhere to any copy protection embedded in the stream. Only CableLabs-certified devices that are sold to end users are required to honor the copy protection (such as PC CableCARD tuners, TiVo boxes, etc.).

Sturmie

Post by Sturmie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:56 am

prijo wrote:Grimm is recording as I type, thank you ceton. Good to see a company that still thinks their customers are important.
I can confirm it's now working as well...just tried recording Grimm and got no errors back.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for their efforts...nice job.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:56 am

On my phone now, but I just got word from the station engineer that they believe this is resolved. Can someone in Columbus please check?

Thanks,
-Eric
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

prijo

Post by prijo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:30 am

erkotz wrote:On my phone now, but I just got word from the station engineer that they believe this is resolved. Can someone in Columbus please check?

Thanks,
-Eric
It is working, thank you thank you and the wife thanks you . the WAF (Wife acceptance factor) is back on the upslope.

Hifialan

Post by Hifialan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:47 am

Everyone who helped, thank you, thank you, thank you. Nice wok, and thank you again.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:00 am

I'm glad to hear its fixed. Thanks!
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation