MCE TV w/ bitstreamed audio resets audio settings

Bix

HTPC Specs: Show details

MCE TV w/ bitstreamed audio resets audio settings

Post by Bix » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:17 am

Been stuck trying to figure out a solution to this problem so I figured registering here was the best solution.

I have a Windows 7 (Pro 64-bit) bases HTPC I built around a Ceton tuner, Intel Celeron G530 CPU w/ on board GPU/digital audio out, and ECS H61-H2-M2 motherboard with HDMI out. In control panel, I configure my speaker settings as 5.1 surround (side surrounds) w/ full range fronts, and set the audio output quality as 24-bit/192 kHz (so I can enjoy music from HDTracks.com that I stream from my NAS to XBMC).

The problem I've run into is that whenever I watch TV in MCE with Dolby Digital audio bitstreeamed to my receiver, my audio output preferences get reset back to the default 16-bit/48 kHz stereo.

What's the best way to fix this? I'm fine with the PC decoding Dolby Digital audio into PCM before sending it to my receiver if that helps somehow. The only thing I want to avoid is anything that would lead to the first second or two of audio being cut off when I start playing a song in XBMC because the receiver has to lock in on a format change. Ideally, I'd like the HTPC to output 5.1 24-bit/192 kHz, up sampling lower quality audio and/or leaving the surround/center/LFE channels silent on stereo sources. Bitstreaming everything would cause the aforementioned hiccup I don't want.

Thanks!