Major networking issues no matter what settings I use.

Talk about setting up your home network.
rldev

HTPC Specs: Show details

Major networking issues no matter what settings I use.

Post by rldev » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:21 am

I'm not sure what has happened to my network in the last two weeks, but I am at my wits end. My Win 7 Media Center system has become basically unusable. I have always had some glitches, but those were corrected with the addition of a solid state drive. Suddenly, everything has gone down hill. Whether I watch live tv or recordings from any of my xbox 360s, I get frequent lockups and network error messages. I have tried changing settings on my intel NIC, ran TCP Optimizer, disabled Network throttling, turned off Remote differential Compression, disabled Windows home networking, etc. Nothing improves my situation, and in many instances the changes make things worse.

I have a quad core cpu, 8GB of ram, win 7 64bit, Intel pci express NIC. All xbox 360s are connected to a gigabit network. How can I go about troubleshooting this and taking care of the problem once and for all.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:24 am

Try going back to a restore point prior to the onset of the problem.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:56 am

If the main HTPC runs fine and everything works there I'd work my way from the NIC interface on the HTPC to the switch to the extender looking for the problem. Could be a NIC going bad in the HTPC...could be a bad cable...could e the switch taking a crap....could be a number of things.

rldev

Post by rldev » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:16 pm

One of the potential issues I have is I have a lot of unmanaged switches. There is no way around it for me. There is a total of 3 unmanaged switches in any given media rack. The first switch connects from fios router and house feeds in the basement.

Fios Router > Switch 1 > Switch 2 (all house feeds connect to this gigabit switch via Cat6A) various feeds run from this switch to media racks in my house which have another switch for various equipment. > Switch 3 - runs to end components.
I just upgraded my fios router to gigabit, I will now bypass the first switch in the chain and go from there.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:23 am

Unmanaged switches that are known good working switches are fine. What you describe sound like at least one in your environment isn't a good working switch.

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:39 am

Venom51 wrote:Unmanaged switches that are known good working switches are fine. What you describe sound like at least one in your environment isn't a good working switch.
Well everything was running fine for hours until bam, everything locked up simultaneously on two extenders. I had to reboot Switch 2 as everything became unresponsive. I'm starting to wonder if I would benefit from a managed switch.

(http://www.amazon.com/8PORT-200-08-SLM2 ... ged+switch)

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:28 pm

Venom51 wrote:Unmanaged switches that are known good working switches are fine. What you describe sound like at least one in your environment isn't a good working switch.
Seconded
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:17 pm

I know that yesterday was earth day... and this may not be in the spirit of earth day... but here goes ..

Is the switch connecting to the HTPC a "Green Ethernet" capable switch? If so, make sure that the driver for the NIC is the latest from the website of the NIC chipset maker(1), and then disable "Green Ethernet"/"Energy Efficient Ethernet"/"Green Technology"/"802.3az" in the advanced tab for the NIC.

I have seen it with both realtek based cards and some intel cards especially with Netgear GS108 switches and some tp-link switches but it may also affect other switches as well.

(1) - The drivers from the MB manufacturers or windows update is not the best driver for this issue. Some nic eeproms and older drivers have cards start up with it disabled while others start up with it enabled with no way to control the feature..
Time is on my side.

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Yes it is a green switch. I don't see these settings for my intel nic card. All I see is:

Advanced
Wait for link
Wake on Link Settings
Wake on Magic Packet
Wake on Pattern Match

Power Management
Allow computer to turn off this device to save power
Allow this device to wake the computer
Only allow Magic packet to wake the computer

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Either the card does not support the feature or you are using a really old driver. The windows 7 Intel latest driver (18.1) is at: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail ... pe=Drivers

There are several ways to get to the Advanced NIC settings.. here is one way (windows 7):

- Control Panel | Network And Sharing Center | Change Adapter Settings (on left pane) | Highlight the Card name, right click on properties | click on configure | click on Advanced tab.
Time is on my side.

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:55 pm

I have the latest driver from intel with very advanced settings. You can run diagnostics, etc from this interface. I just see nothing titled "green".

I have an Intel CT Gigabit Desktop Adapter. This is not an old card.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 pm

I've been leaning toward a failing switch since this thread first started. I had a similar problem. It was a failing switch. A new switch fixed the problem.

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:17 pm

I guess the question now is should I move to a smart switch now where I have 6 extenders connected?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:23 pm

If you don't know that you need a managed switch, you don't need one.

That said, the Dell Web Managed switches (PowerConnect 28xx) are dirt cheap, and have basic management functionality.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:26 pm

erkotz wrote:If you don't know that you need a managed switch, you don't need one.

That said, the Dell Web Managed switches (PowerConnect 28xx) are dirt cheap, and have basic management functionality.
I bought one of these (used) based on Venom51's recommendation. The first one worked fine for a week, and then died. The 2nd one arrived with several dead ports. I returned it for a refund and bought this unmanaged one (new) and it's been working fine ever since.

I don't know if there is a high failure rate with the PowerConnect switches, but after two bad ones I wasn't willing to try again.

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 pm

erkotz wrote:If you don't know that you need a managed switch, you don't need one.

I ask this because I have three different unmanaged switches, and all of them seem to have one issue or another.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Having more switches doesn't necessarily mean that you need managed switches. A managed switch allows you to use QoS and a few other nice features like being able to diagnose a bad cable from the switch's management interface, but most home networks don't need them.

If it's possible for you to re-wire, you should do so to avoid daisy-chaining a bunch of switches together.

But before you go rewiring stuff or buying new switches, you should try bypassing one switch at a time to see if one of them is causing the problem. You can bypass them using a long Ethernet cable that you would (temporarily) string through your house from one switch to another in order to bypass one of the switches, or you could even use a female-female coupler to bypass a switch by connecting two of the cables together (temporarily). In both scenarios, you would also need to remove the bypassed switch from the equation to avoid loops in your network.

In any case, you really should go through a process of elimination to identify the problem before spending money on new switches.

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:17 pm

That is what I will do. I have couplers, etc. Rewiring is not possible. This is why I used cat 6a and tested each line before closing up the ceiling. The internet feed comes through my office via coax(Fios) to modem/gigabit fios router. I dropped a line to my basement to the unmanaged switch. All of my feeds run from this switch, 7 feeds in total(5 extenders). It just not possible for me to not have multiple switches. But I can bypass any switch for testing.

Thanks.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:40 pm

barnabas1969 wrote: But before you go rewiring stuff or buying new switches, you should try bypassing one switch at a time to see if one of them is causing the problem.
I find it hard to believe that someone who has enough stuff hooked up to require 3 switches doesn't have some old gear that was swapped out during an upgrade sitting in the back of a cupboard that you could temporarily use to replace one of the switches for test purposes.

(I'm sure a sentence that convoluted would benefit from punctuation, but I can't quite see where to put it!)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:43 pm

foxwood wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote: But before you go rewiring stuff or buying new switches, you should try bypassing one switch at a time to see if one of them is causing the problem.
I find it hard to believe that someone who has enough stuff hooked up to require 3 switches doesn't have some old gear that was swapped out during an upgrade sitting in the back of a cupboard that you could temporarily use to replace one of the switches for test purposes.

(I'm sure a sentence that convoluted would benefit from punctuation, but I can't quite see where to put it!)
Yeah, that would work too... if he has a known-good spare.

Your sentence looks correct to me.