WOL over VPN - iOS

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
black88mx6

HTPC Specs: Show details

WOL over VPN - iOS

Post by black88mx6 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Wake on lan works great on IOS when I am attached to the local network via WIFI. When I attempt to VPN into the same network, and then try to use the WOL the request fails. This was discussed earlier in a previous message and it may of been due to the way the port is opened up on the application with IOS. Any word on a work-around or fix for this so that it will work over a VPN also?

foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by foxwood » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Under normal circumstances, WoL works by broadcasting a request over the whole LAN, such that the sleeping device can recognize a call directed at it. Broadcasts can only be initiated by a device on the actual LAN itself. In some circumstances, a router can be configured to trigger such a broadcast when requested to do so by a device outside the LAN, but that depends on the router - even if the app was updated to send the right type of request, your VPN server would have to handle that request and broadcast the WoL packet on your LAN for you.

This technique might be relevant for VPN users, but it won't help for users who just set up port-forwarding.