Ultraviolet stinks?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
Embiggens

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ultraviolet stinks?

Post by Embiggens » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Anybody that uses Ultraviolet have experiences like this...and how often? I redeemed a UV code for the BBC Series "Africa" through flixster as instructed on my blu-ray. But apparently now I cannot watch it through any other service. This is defeating the one advantage of Ultraviolet!
Hello,
Thank you for contacting VUDU Customer Care. I apologize for the inconvenience. Not all content is transferable from Ultraviolet. If you are referring to Africa the series from BBC then unfortunately it is not transferable.

Once again thank you for contacting VUDU Customer Care and have a great day.

Nicholas
VUDU Technical Support

offroad

Post by offroad » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:07 pm

What does this mean? You can not watch you AFRICA series on ultraviolet on any other platform ? You own it so why not?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:38 pm

It's a licensing issue with BBC and what the'll allow their content to be played back on. I have about 25 movies in Ultraviolet (all freebies from various offers). For what it is I like it. I can watch on my phone/tablet via Flixster, and on my Blu-ray player via Vudu.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Well this makes more sense than the explanation I got when I asked in the Engadget podcast forum. I was curious about the extent to which this is an issue. If it's particular to BBC no problem. For me, though, flixster is useless because I'd like to watch on roku and flixster is just a preview channel on there.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:40 pm

I've seen users on reddit report the issue with non-BBC content (can't recall what though). I can't recall if it was their content would be available on Flixster but not other Ultraviolet apps or the other way around. When contacted, Flixster cited the licensing issue.

offroad

Post by offroad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:34 am

You can watch UV on the Roku with two apps so far. The VUDU PLAYER and the NOOK VIDEO. Though have had random issues with buffering.

My HTPC on the same wifi system never buffers. But the ROKU will buffer a lot. So make sure you do lots of testing before you except a ROKU as a functional device.

offroad

Post by offroad » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Noticed that on some systems using a streaming player, there is a stream speed test in he first ten seconds. Then the software adjusts buffering rates so that everything gets optimized. Wonder why we do not see that more often.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:07 pm

If you shine an ultraviolet light on a pile of turd long enough, it will probably stink. Does that answer the question?

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:02 pm

Big shock...A studio created protection scheme sucks in practical use. Big shock.