Echo with Slingbox 500?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jumpmanjay

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo with Slingbox 500?

Post by jumpmanjay » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:08 am

Anyone try using the echo with the Slingbox 500? Just wondering if the HDMI negotiates properly. It would be a great low power setup to watch content away from home. I don't really want to try using an HDMI to component converter with the slingbox 350.

jeonunh

Post by jeonunh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:38 pm

jumpmanjay wrote:Anyone try using the echo with the Slingbox 500? Just wondering if the HDMI negotiates properly. It would be a great low power setup to watch content away from home. I don't really want to try using an HDMI to component converter with the Slingbox 350.
I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't just split the connection coming out of the HTPC instead. You'll need to computer running anyway for the Echo to work. May as well eliminate one extra link in the chain that could go wrong while you're away from home.

jumpmanjay

Post by jumpmanjay » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:35 pm

jeonunh wrote:
jumpmanjay wrote:Anyone try using the echo with the Slingbox 500? Just wondering if the HDMI negotiates properly. It would be a great low power setup to watch content away from home. I don't really want to try using an HDMI to component converter with the Slingbox 350.
I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't just split the connection coming out of the HTPC instead. You'll need to computer running anyway for the Echo to work. May as well eliminate one extra link in the chain that could go wrong while you're away from home.
currently, my echo is never used. i hoped to put it in my kitchen to replace the xbox360 there, but the tv in my kitchen is quite old and doesnt have HDMI input. so it's currently just sitting there doing nothing. i figure i can get some use out of it if i just stick it with my network equipment in the basement with a slingbox.

my media center server isnt actually used as an htpc in the classic sense. it has no IR.

sivart321

Post by sivart321 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 pm

I use my echo with a Slingbox 500. Works fine. I have Comcast without any sort of copy flags and have not otherwise encountered any HDCP related issues using HDMI either.

jumpmanjay

Post by jumpmanjay » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:49 am

sivart321 wrote:I use my echo with a Slingbox 500. Works fine. I have Comcast without any sort of copy flags and have not otherwise encountered any HDCP related issues using HDMI either.
fantastic, thanks!

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:12 pm

I have one hooked to an Echo at my house. It works fine directly, however most of my channels have require HDCP, which the SB doesn't support. I purchased a "audio separator" (HDCP stripper) off eBay, but it seems to be causing audio issues. I haven't had time to investigate the stripper specifically.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation